You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Alter Ego - Upcoming adventure by Future Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:35 AM   #41

Can someone explain what this "Ben Affleck" sign means?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
Can someone explain what this "Ben Affleck" sign means?
I think what it says above the name is "with the german voice of". I'm pretty sure whoever dubs Ben Affleck in german movies also provides the voice of a game character.

EDIT: Here:
http://www.bit-composer.com/www_en/n...f-7f42134f0f5f

I don't think the english localization will feature Ben Affleck himself, though... =P

Last edited by ZeframCochrane; 03-11-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by terhardp View Post
@Neptin, thanks for the info.

Personally, I speak german rather well, so I wouldn't have much problems following the game, however I just prefer to hear the voices in english. It's probably due to the inertion, but like someone said before, you can't deny the fact that most of the people associate english language with the videogames (globalisation aside).
You're right. But I guess the english speaking adventure market is not important enough these days or it's just extremly difficult for most european AG-developers to find an american publisher. Black Mirror, for example, sold 100.000 copies in Germany alone.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #44

It did? Are you sure?
Because the most successful German adventure of last year, Book of Unwritten Tales, only sold 30.000 copies so far. Which really isn't much.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
It did? Are you sure?
Sure, dtp confirmed it. I bet Secret Files (the first one) sold 100.000 as well.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #46

slightly OOT but i wonder where you guys getting all those sales number data ?
Is there some kind of chart or something ? Or is it from developer interview somewhere.... ???
Old 03-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
Sure, dtp confirmed it. I bet Secret Files (the first one) sold 100.000 as well.
Indeed, only when the publisher releases the numbers do we know how well a game sold. And even then some questions remain. Like, did it sell well at full price or only over a longer time, as a budget release, at a lower price?
I dunno.
Black Mirror might have sold 100.000, but probably over multiple years. Which is great anyway, but I guess it helps to put the 30.000 of Book of Unwritten Tales into perspective.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #48

First reviews are pretty mediocre. Most reviewers criticize easy puzzles, the weak story, a few bugs and unappealing characters. Alter Ego is too short (four to five hours) with costs of 36€ (= $48).

4Players.de - 66%
Gamestar.de - 70%
Adventurecorner.de - 73%
Gameswelt.de - 73%
Onlinewelten.de - 82%
Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Most reviewers criticize easy puzzles
I’d say it has NO puzzles at all. Even Syberia has more sophisticated puzzles than Alter Ego. No mechanisms, no complex puzzles. Just trite pixel-hunting and inventory-combining.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:21 AM   #50

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

I just saw some of the screen shots. It appears that although the it has very good art work the character drawings really suck. They look outdated even compared to Black Mirror 1. I am still waiting on it nevertheless.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #51

Default Just played Alter Ego in German

Alter Ego was out in German on the 26nd of March and I finished it just now. I must say the story is gripping, but there are so many bugs that it is annoying. For instance, when a character is supposed to stand behind something, you almost always seem to stand in front of the object, which is really strange. Some of the time the characters aren't even visible in the area at all. One character I haven't even seen thoughout the game, because the background was only visible. And when you speak through a telephone, you can't hear a response at all and there's a bug in the translation too. Another annoying bug is that you can't directly load a previously saved game, but you first have to play a new game for some time and then you can finally load your game.

So I hope that all the bugs will be tackled before they come up with an English version. Maybe another half year's wait. I also think it's annoying that they first have a German version instead of an English version of the game. I also like an English version better, but mostly I can't wait to play the game and end up again with the German version. But German just isn't as dynamic a language as English is, that's clear. By the way, the graphics are great just as in Black Mirror and the videos too (although there aren't many). The game isn't very long (which is a shame), has only inventory-based easy puzzles (which I like) and has a very open ending. Maybe there will be an Alter Ego 2? Still a nice game to play even with all it's flaws!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #52

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

@ laracroftje;

How will u rate the game on the scale of 1 to 10?
Old 03-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftje View Post
you almost always seem to stand in front of the object [...] Some of the time the characters aren't even visible in the area at all [...] the background was only visible [...] when you speak through a telephone, you can't hear a response at all and there's a bug in the translation too [...] you can't directly load a previously saved game, but you first have to play a new game for some time and then you can finally load your game.
Ugh! Those don't even sound like bugs, it almost seems as if the game was shipped before it was ready! For those kind of things to make it to the market, they must've not beta-tested the game at all!
The loading issue seems particularly preposterous...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #54
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftje View Post
But German just isn't as dynamic a language as English is, that's clear.
Not to me it isn't. What do you mean by "dynamic" and why is English more dynamic?
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #55

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Whats the latest information about the English release.......????
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #56

Future Games seem to have the unenviable knack of producing games that sound like they're going to be great but dont play very well.

I hope they stick with it because i think that they will eventually clear up the gameplay problems and produce a real classic. Their concepts are great.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #57

Today bit-composer released a patch for the German Alter Ego, as announced by Adventure Treff. The patch should fix problems with loading and saving, and the subtitles.
The English version will be released in Q2 according to the bit-composer website.

Lastly bit-composer released a teaser trailer for the announced adventure Jekyll and Hyde.
Actually, I'm not that impressed by the trailer. The animations and graphics don't look very polished. The story doesn't sound that original with yet another secret sect to unravel. But I guess we will just have to wait until Q3 when it is supposedly released for making a real opinion.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #58

Can't wait for it.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 AM   #59
Schättenjager

The US version of Alter Ego is scheduled to ship to stores on August 1.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
The US version of Alter Ego is scheduled to ship to stores on August 1.
WOW Thanks for sharing the great info