You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Psychonaut

Default Sam & Max 2010

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax2010

Eurogamer is reporting a new page at Telltale asking to sign up to Freelance Police Special Forces.

Is an official Season 3 announcement due?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
The Quiet One

I was just about to create this thread when I saw the article over at GameSpot.

It would make sense for it to be a new season of Sam & Max considering that Tales... has finished (for now).
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-10-2009, 01:45 PM   #3

I hope Telltale mixes the series up a bit.

I enjoyed season 1 but the second season was too much of the same for my liking. The Xmas episode was fun but I didn't like the rest.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #4
Banned User

I felt season 2 was far from the same thing.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

I hate Telltale. So much. I wish they would go away and leave these great titles alone

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #6

Whatever for? I personally like the new Sam and Max more than the old one.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mouse View Post
Whatever for? I personally like the new Sam and Max more than the old one.
Well, to each his own. But as I queried here with that amazingly bad screenshot, I'm not sure how anyone can enjoy something like this over the absolute charm of the first. The original's animation had heart. Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay. In said thread you'll see I'm not alone either.

EDIT: to be fair, you're not alone in that thread either. Again, to each his own.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Banned User

All they did was take everything good from the original games and made it accessible to everyone. This means they will have to tone down the visuals to suit all computers.

Plus, I never once felt that the visuals distracted me.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

The screenshot you posted is one of the first released from the first Sam & Max season, in the summer of 2006. Their tech has come a long way since then.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't think it's fair to hold up a screenshot from 3+ years ago as an unequivocal reason for why a new Sam & Max season is going to suck. (Have you played any Telltale games, or is your opinion solely based on screenshots?)

Quote:
Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay.
You'd be surprised. I know firsthand how hard the folks at Telltale work, and "putting their heart into it" doesn't begin to describe it. But it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I don't think it's fair to hold up a screenshot from 3+ years ago as an unequivocal reason for why a new Sam & Max season is going to suck. (Have you played any Telltale games, or is your opinion solely based on screenshots?)
Yeah it is old, and yes I did play Sam & Max season one and have played the more recent Tales of Monkey Island. Sure, it's got some visual improvements, but not much. Clunky camera angles, an inventory combination system that's annoying, uninteresting environments, and so on...

Quote:
You'd be surprised. I know firsthand how hard the folks at Telltale work, and "putting their heart into it" doesn't begin to describe it. But it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.
Putting your heart into something is one thing, and I don't doubt they do. But putting heart into the look of something is different. The games just feel cold and cheap. As you say though, only my opinion.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Hmmm, I tried to sign up, but it said I already was, so it must just be the Telltale Interloper instead of a special Sam and Max news thing? Ah well...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #12

There are 2 ways to look at it:

A. You like the new games, in which case it's Christmas come early. Plus it's not like Lucas Arts is doing anything new with these franchises.
B. You don't like them, in which case you ignore their existence.

So I fail to understand how making new Sam & Max or Monkey Island games can be a bad thing.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #13
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Yeah it is old, and yes I did play Sam & Max season one and have played the more recent Tales of Monkey Island. Sure, it's got some visual improvements, but not much. Clunky camera angles, an inventory combination system that's annoying, uninteresting environments, and so on...
There is absolutely nothing wrong with those things! It sounds more like you have a grudge against telltale or you just don't like these types of games.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:31 AM   #14

There is only one thing I wish about this third seasons, and that's Telltale sticking to the point and click controls instead of the appalling ToMI (and Wallace & Gromit) keyboard plus mouse approach.

(those controls were also the only gripes I had with the latter two games/series)
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 AM   #15

Quote:
but it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by antaios View Post
there is only one thing i wish about this third seasons, and that's telltale sticking to the point and click controls instead of the appalling tomi (and wallace & gromit) keyboard plus mouse approach.

(those controls were also the only gripes i had with the latter two games/series)
+1
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 AM   #16

Default Sam & Max 2010

Yay! I was just wondering the other day when I'd here about the next Sam & Max. I found 6 Easter eggs at this site too.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post

Yay! I was just wondering the other day when I'd here about the next Sam & Max. I found 6 Easter eggs at this site too.
Nice to hear web easter eggs are back. We used to hide easter eggs all over the Sam & Max sites back when we still had time to do that

(There's still one in the HTTP headers for telltalegames.com by the way)
Old 12-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Well, to each his own. But as I queried here with that amazingly bad screenshot, I'm not sure how anyone can enjoy something like this over the absolute charm of the first. The original's animation had heart. Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay. In said thread you'll see I'm not alone either.

EDIT: to be fair, you're not alone in that thread either. Again, to each his own.
Sam & Max was always about the writing..and it being funny.. Season 2 of Sam & Max was one of the funniest games I've played in the last 10 years.. I think the writing stacks up against the very best of the games industry today. You can complain about the visual style all you like but I think you are missing the point.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
Strategy Guide Author

We're lucky to have gotten Sam & Max S1 and S2 and any more.

And Tales of Monkey Island.

I hope Telltale continues to make more seasons of anything they want and I'd love to see other "classics" brought back.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #20

i predict its gonna be a full retail stand-alone game. it'll be handdrawn and have all the animations done by steve purcell. mark my words.

<wakes up>