You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Alter Ego - Upcoming adventure by Future Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 AM   #61

Thanks for the info. This is not a game "I can't wait to play", but it's definitely on my list of the upcoming adventures I'm interested in.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #62

What happened to the game? Wasn't the English release supposed to come out yesterday?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealist View Post
What happened to the game? Wasn't the English release supposed to come out yesterday?
It did. At least on Steam.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #64

Thanks.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #65

I was wondering if the German demo has English subtitles? This game looks like it may be right up my alley.

Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #66
Restless Dreamer

Ouch, this game just got SLAMMED by Gamespot.com (3.5 out of 10).
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #67
Senior Passer-by

If you live for the day when GameSpot will give a high grade to an adventure game that's not famous and hyped, you'll have to live a couple of centuries.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #68

But they're right, the game is pretty bad. Not 3.5/10-bad, but mediocre at best. The whole adventure just feels spiritless and uninspired.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #69
Restless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
If you live for the day when GameSpot will give a high grade to an adventure game that's not famous and hyped, you'll have to live a couple of centuries.
The day I live for GameSpot to tell me whether I should purchase a game or not is never going to come - I was merely relaying a rather shocking review score that I thought readers of this thread might be interested to hear. You can take it or leave it, but please don't shoot the messenger.
All Time Faves: Silent Hill 2, Scratches: Director's Cut, Resident Evil 2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus
Old 08-07-2010, 01:56 AM   #70
Schättenjager

Gamespot says:
A boring story, a dreadful ending, and easy puzzles bury this dull point-and-click adventure.Story goes nowhere.Abysmal ending.Puzzles require no thought, just random clicking.Bare sound design fails to instill tension.

There are countless old point-and-click games that surpass Alter Ego in almost every manner, from puzzles to characters. This is not just a testament to the quality of those games but to the failure of Alter Ego to deliver an adventure worth taking. Even if the meandering mystery draws you in, the game's appalling attempt to wrap up the story in a manner of seconds, as well as its total failure to bring any sense of closure, may very well drive you to drink. And if you play these kinds of games hoping for some brain-twisting puzzles to test your wits, you'll be sorely disappointed by the cliched click-everywhere tasks that never require so much as a single brain cell. So whether you come for the story or for the conundrums, Alter Ego is certain to let you down.

Omg who's still making these games
Old 08-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #71
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_m View Post
The day I live for GameSpot to tell me whether I should purchase a game or not is never going to come - I was merely relaying a rather shocking review score that I thought readers of this thread might be interested to hear. You can take it or leave it, but please don't shoot the messenger.
Hey, I'm not shooting the messenger !

What I meant was "Forget about what GameSpot thinks about the adventure games altogether" not "Forget about what GameSpot thinks about the adventure games you're about to buy". In short: GS is not a relevant place for anyone to get the idea how good or bad some AG is. In my opinion, off course.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #72

Dammed game won't play at all. Just gives me a black screen. The English version published by Viva Media uses SecuROM 7.42.0001 and I suspect that's why. If I'd known it had that junk on it I wouldn't have bought it. I guess I can't trust Viva Media any more.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #73

Just finished it and I gotta say I had quite a lot of fun. Not the hardest game in the world but the story kept me interested and I quite liked the characters even if the thief was a bit whiny and the detective a bit to stiff upper lip. Graphics were sublime for an ADV although I would of liked to of seen a tiny bit more animation to the backgrounds. Character models were very good and the dialogue while not the best was certainly not the worst although I'm pretty sure Prostitutes were not referred to as hookers in late 19th century England.

Ending is nowhere near as abrupt as the GC review makes out, in fact that GC review is mostly full of the brown stuff. Hopefully there will be a sequel.

Overall I give it a solid 7/10.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #74
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarch View Post

Ending is nowhere near as abrupt as the GC review makes out, in fact that GS review is mostly full of the brown stuff.
Why bother for Gamespot anyway, game just raised up #2 on GS most popular games
Old 08-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #75
Adventure Groupie

Game is good so far..it feels a bit slow paced and obvious, even for adventure standards.

But man, does it feel good to play an oldskool adventure again.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:25 AM   #76

Default Alter Ego Black Screen problem (game won't run)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Dammed game won't play at all. Just gives me a black screen. The English version published by Viva Media uses SecuROM 7.42.0001 and I suspect that's why. If I'd known it had that junk on it I wouldn't have bought it. I guess I can't trust Viva Media any more.

I had same problem on my laptop with Win7 (32 bit). The cause of problem is that game is not able to modify file "Engine.config" in game directory due lack of permissions for currently logged user. You need to give that permissions manualy. To solve problem right click on folder "Alter Ego" and then choose Properties. On newly opened window go to Security tab and Edit permissions to allow current user modification of game files. I hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:48 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Why bother for Gamespot anyway, game just raised up #2 on GS most popular games
I don't. Didn't even know they'd reviewed it til i saw this thread.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #78

I am currently playing the game. It's quite good, interesting story and nice graphics.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #79

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emx77 View Post
I had same problem on my laptop with Win7 (32 bit). The cause of problem is that game is not able to modify file "Engine.config" in game directory due lack of permissions for currently logged user. You need to give that permissions manualy. To solve problem right click on folder "Alter Ego" and then choose Properties. On newly opened window go to Security tab and Edit permissions to allow current user modification of game files. I hope this helps.
Thank you SO much, your solution worked for me! I'm using Win7 64 bit.
I tried every single compatibility mode but it didn't work, I just got a black screen and a non-responding game when I clicked New game.
Now I can finally get started with this game! Awesome, thanks again
Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emx77 View Post
What, seriously?! That's a huge security hole; Microsoft denied default write access to Program Files for a reason, and has been the case since Vista came out four years ago. To have a brand new game write to the protected area, and claim Vista/7 compatibility, and still have the Games for Windows label is completely intolerable.