View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #92
terhardp

I've completed the game yesterday. At first, when I started to play, it seemed to me that this is going to be one of those "mediocre-in-every-aspect" game, but I must say that I even enjoyed it at times.

The thing I'm impressed the most with is consistency of some details, that really evoked the memories on the earlier games from this developer I've played so far, particulary "Black Mirror" and "NiBiRu". This mainly applies to the recognizable moody graphic and setting, style of voice-acting, and even to the controversial endings.

Speaking of which, the ending of this game suprised me; I really didn't see this comming, even though such ending could be expected as a sort of the tradition from FG. I know that many players will be dissapointed, but maybe this is a welcome thrill-turn comparing to the endings of some other adventures. Not to mention setting the stage for the sequel.

Gameplay is very simple, but this game is mainly drived by the story and dialogs which are IMO, solid. The tone of some actors reminds much on the "Black Mirror", which won't appeal to those who loathed this factor in that game, but I think that it fits nicely with the setting. There are no complicated and logic puzzles, but finding out what to do next is often frustrating. Several times, I've got stuck, because I didn't speak to someone about someting. BTW, the game has an useful hotspot revealer, but I tend to use those as less as possible.

For me, this game was a pleasurable filler (I'm eagerly wating for "The Lost Horizon" to be released), and I was even suprised that it even passed the line of mediocrity in my eyes. I could put it side by side with the sequel to "Black Mirror", which I also liked, because of the similar reasons.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III