View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #88
Sik

Just finished the game, and it was decent enough. It had great graphics for the backgrounds, and characters looked okay, but could have done with more animations. I have no complaints about music and ambience. The voice acting was above average, in my opinion, but it was obvious the actors were often given lines without proper direction, as they often put weight on words that make sentences sound out of place. I didn't encounter any bugs that were more than a minor annoyance, and I also found the story entertaining enough, and I loved the ending... though I suspect most people will hate it. :p

My main gripe is all the lost opportunities for puzzles. I don't want to play an adventure game and have the character fix machines and search buildings for me with a single click. Heck, even a slider puzzle would have been welcome. In general, I enjoy 3rd person adventure games where most, or all puzzles are inventory based, but this game showcases this kind of game at its worst. Just click on everything and you'll get through the game faster than by actually thinking. I don't think I'd get stuck for more than 5 minutes if I played the game in Chinese (and no, I don't speak Chinese).

I'd give the game maybe a 4.5/10, but by GameSpot's standards (based on my opinion of other games they have rated) I'd easily give it a 6/10. Worth getting for those who want to spend an evening with a decent story and have already played most similar games available in the genre. It's on par with the Art of Murder and Chronicles of Mystery games in that regard. I was less annoyed with the script in Alter Ego than in than those games, but Alter Ego has even easier puzzles.