You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New So Blonde Screenshots...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #21
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
But yes, the pigmentation of hair is directly linked to intellectual prowess.
Now, now. (says the blonde mod. )
Old 07-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
Adventure-Treff.de Staff

Send a message via ICQ to basti007 Send a message via AIM to basti007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
You work for Adventure Treff? Thats a great website, i visit it regularly, and i dont even speak german.
Well, i'm happy to hear that. It's just a non-profit project of some adventure geeks and we do our best to stay one of the most up-to-date websites on the net. If you have any special questions, don't hesitate to ask. And the moment i'm a little bit busy with a dissertation but i'll do my best. ;-)

Concerning So Blonde: Definetly buy that game. Both Marco and me were blown away when we were shown some of this incredible detailed scenes. :-) There are even some Monkey Island and Nintendo hommages in it.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #23
The Solomon of Sarcasm

Quote:
There's something wrong with it?
"This guy got absolutly no taste in interior decoration"

should be

"This guy's/guy has got absolutely no taste in interior decoration."

Advertisers don't program morals into their audiences. It would be bad for business.
--Sara Ogaz, Queen of the World

Just about every adventure game includes you needing to combine a ham and a wrench to make a "porkscrew".
--Kevin Wilson
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #24
Writer-Designer

NemelChelovek: Yes, I know. My attempt at humour fell flat even with the big grin face...

Old 07-04-2007, 03:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Anyway, the title's immediately going to be alienating a portion of the audience, regardless. It's like if I made an educational game for pre-schoolers, but called it Death-Hell-Ultra-Gore; I'm going to be fighting against the customer's initial assumptions, no matter how different the actual content is.
True, but if you take Broken Sword as an example. I still remember when I poped the shareware cd with Broken Sword - The shadow of the templars on it into my cd-rom. I was like "What is this crap? Broken Sword? Sounds like a idiotic game to me. Shadow of the Templars? Is this one of those educational games when you get to learn about temples? Meh, at least it's an adventure game, I'll give it a go" - It was really just because I was so bored that I finally ended up playing it.

Even after playing the demo I didn't really want to buy it. The people I knew hadn't even heard of Broken Sword either. It was just an accident that I bought Broken Sword 1. I had played the demo - and on a later occation I found myself on an airport with too much pocket money. I bought the last copy of Broken Sword that was on the shelf, because frankly - it was the only game I had heard about. I remember my brother made fun of me, because he thought it sounded idiotic and that it was silly of me to buy a game I didn't even know if was any good. Actually, just a few months after I bought the game, it was impossible to get in the stores, so it was just a covincidence that I ended up buying it.

Anyway, the title Broken Sword really captures the essence of the Broken Sword games, at least the 1st game(even though I struggle to see what the 2th and 4th game has to do with the Broken Sword of Baphomet). It could be the same with So Blond too, that the title captures the essence of the game better than we can see at the current time.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLoo View Post
Said all sorts
I'm sure the title does fit the character, but you're still going to get many people who think that 'So Blonde' is a game aimed squarely at a particular audience. I'm sure it's an ironic title that'll confound our expectations, but it's still setting yourself up with an extra hurdle to jump.

However vague, uninteresting or misleading you consider the title 'Broken Sword' to be, it's not as loaded as the current game title under question. There's not an already existing portion of modern society that you could imagine the game 'Broken Sword' was exclusively for. Maybe Masons.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #27

Quote:
True, but if you take Broken Sword as an example. I still remember when I poped the shareware cd with Broken Sword - The shadow of the templars on it into my cd-rom. I was like "What is this crap? Broken Sword? Sounds like a idiotic game to me. Shadow of the Templars? Is this one of those educational games when you get to learn about temples? Meh, at least it's an adventure game, I'll give it a go" - It was really just because I was so bored that I finally ended up playing it.

Even after playing the demo I didn't really want to buy it. The people I knew hadn't even heard of Broken Sword either. It was just an accident that I bought Broken Sword 1. I had played the demo - and on a later occation I found myself on an airport with too much pocket money. I bought the last copy of Broken Sword that was on the shelf, because frankly - it was the only game I had heard about. I remember my brother made fun of me, because he thought it sounded idiotic and that it was silly of me to buy a game I didn't even know if was any good. Actually, just a few months after I bought the game, it was impossible to get in the stores, so it was just a covincidence that I ended up buying it.

Anyway, the title Broken Sword really captures the essence of the Broken Sword games, at least the 1st game(even though I struggle to see what the 2th and 4th game has to do with the Broken Sword of Baphomet). It could be the same with So Blond too, that the title captures the essence of the game better than we can see at the current time.
So did you end up liking it?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelza View Post
So did you end up liking it?
Yep, I ended up loving it Today I own the entire series, and I just ordered the sold-out edition as well, because I want the version where both games are on one dvd too. Looking back, I can't believe I ever doubted this game. It's funny how impressions can change when one get deep down and dirty into a game
Old 07-04-2007, 06:56 PM   #29
Elegantly copy+pasted

I don't really get why "Broken Sword" is such a bad title. It could be pretty much anything (actually, I suppose that is one reason), from medieval strategy game ("Defender of the Crown") to Hollywood action movie-based FPS ("Broken Arrow") to Indiana Jones-style adventure ("The Last Crusade", presumably the effect they were going for). However, I will say that the cover art kept me from picking it up for about half a year. I was convinced it had something to do with Prince (cf. album covers: The Hits 2, Emancipation, New Power Soul, Purple Medley).
Old 07-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #30
Writer-Designer

Broken Sword is also the name of a novel by Poul Anderson, written in the 1940s. When I first met Charles in 1992 and he mentioned BS I thought he was maybe making a game based on the book. Obviously he quickly put me right.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #31
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
I don't really get why "Broken Sword" is such a bad title...... However, I will say that the cover art kept me from picking it up for about half a year. I was convinced it had something to do with Prince
LOL! It does look like a Prince CD cover. That's hilarious.

Last edited by eriq; 07-06-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
LOL! It does look like a Price CD cover. That's hilarious.
It really does. Who is that guy supposed to be anyway? You've got the seal of the Templars, the betting tip, I guess the keyboard is evocative of Nico's journalism, but then Prince moodily glowering at you. What's going on there?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #33
Writer-Designer

Prince? It's not Prince.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ince View Post
Prince? It's not Prince.
I thought it was George * shy face *

I hope the person on the cover to the second game is not George though Else he lost a lot of flesh between the photos.

And... my point earlier was not that Broken Sword is a bad title. I just meant that it doesn't tell much about the game(except that it should involve a sword which somehow gets broken or is broken already). I remember I kept looking for a sword while playing Broken Sword 1 for the first time, and I was a little disappointed when I had finished the game and still hadn't seen a sword ).

My point was that juging a game based on the title can be a mistake I just tried to do it through using an example, instead of just saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". But apparently you guys shoot my example full of holes, so I kind of regret that decision now, even though I was only telling about my own experience with buying Broken Sword 1(back in 1998, when I was just a little boy)
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #35
Dreamer

I agree, this game looks really interesting and reminds me a lot of Runaway 2
I can't wait to play it
Old 07-06-2007, 02:09 PM   #36

Quote:
My point was that juging a game based on the title can be a mistake I just tried to do it through using an example, instead of just saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover".
No, I agree with you 100% in that regard - the only way you can judge something is to try it, but I was just looking at it from a marketing perspective. Your point is still valid and true, so don't worry about that. I was just playing devil's advocate and making another, different point.

Quote:
But apparently you guys shoot my example full of holes, so I kind of regret that decision now, even though I was only telling about my own experience with buying Broken Sword 1(back in 1998, when I was just a little boy)
Really, don't worry if somebody disagrees with your perspective - they may not even disagree with you - you're opinion is just as valid as anyones. You're not going to be able to get everyone to agree all the time, but it shouldn't make you regret saying what you think. It's often not a question of being right or wrong, there's millions of other variables in between.

If you said the sea was wet and I said the sea was deep, I wouldn't be shooting you down, I'd just be pointing out a different factor.

G'ah, I'm riddled with guilt.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #37

Quote:
G'ah, I'm riddled with guilt.
Nah, don't be. I thought you made some pretty good points yourself. Beside, I forgave you already. I just wanted to clear that out, because I am a bit of a perfectionist who hate it when I think people misunderstood me
Old 07-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #38
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

bringing this thread back on topic, these new screens from So Blonde are, in fact, really really tempting. They do remind me of Runaway 2 quite a bit. Are any of the team members from the Runaway production team? If not, they were certainly inspired! Great looking game.

I can't wait to get my grubby hands on this!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #39
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriq View Post
I can't wait to get my grubby hands on this!
Go wash your hands immediately!
Old 07-07-2007, 01:30 AM   #40
LGH

Hey Steve, I just wanted to say that it's really cool that you hang aroung here so much. It shows us that you really seem to be involved a lot in this game (and are not just selling "your good name"). You seem pretty interested to read our first thoughts and discussions. And for us, it is a great chance to hear the thoughts and reactions of the designer himself. Not too many developers do that. (Well, Martin Ganteföhr from House of Tales does it quite often too. Mostly in German forums though, but also here.)