You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #161
For honor and glory!

Send a message via AIM to Draiden Send a message via Yahoo to Draiden

Perhaps someone can create a spoiler thread saying whether the game ends the same way as MH's life did. mm beyond that...I forgot what I was going to *wanders away confusedly*
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 AM   #162
I think with my heart

Maybe a bit Off-topic, but I played the "wrong" Mata Hari game. There is another one called "Mata Hari and the Kaiser's submarine". A very easy game, that is a bit repetitive, but with some nice puzzles. The music was always the same but I kinda liked it.

anyone played both of them, and if so: which one did you prefer? I will start on the new Mata Hari game now. Intersting, that there are two of them.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 AM   #163

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

The Frogwares' game seems more like a casual take on the subject, rather than a full-fledged adventure.

On the other hand, I can't wait for an English release of dtp's Mata Hari. Anyone knows anything about it? I checked their website and English forum, but I can't find an answer...

... If they will present the same problem even for Gray Matter, I've got to learn German. And pretty fast!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #164
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Gamersgate gives the 31st January as the release date. I think the English version is worth waiting for even if the date is off since it is the language in which everything for the game was originally written.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Gamersgate gives the 31st January as the release date. I think the English version is worth waiting for even if the date is off since it is the language in which everything for the game was originally written.
Thx for the info, I will give it a try for sure.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
What a pity! I still hope that they are wrong (yay, all of them! )
Sorry. They're not I've played the game myself a couple of weeks ago and it does have major flaws. Basically, the story fails to keep the player interested; it is disrupted by an awful load of stupid minigames that you can skip - but then you lose experience points and money. The puzzle design is ridiculous; for example, if Mata Hari wants to sign up for a new dancing show, she first needs to get permission from her impresario. Then he sends her on her way to find inspiration for a new dance. Once she found it, she is allowed to dance. Sounds simple enough but gets really annoying when you have to repeat that process over and over again. Same with travelling through Europe; it doesn't make sense, for example, for Mata Hari to travel to Berlin just in order to make a simple phone call. Are there no phones in Paris?

It's not overall bad, however. There are some strong points; the graphics are beautiful to look at, the visual effects are nicely done (you get sunlight streaming in from windows, reflecting shadows on the floor, people's garments move along when they walk...), the German voices are excellent, and the interface is easy enough to handle. The first two chapters were pretty nice to play, probably because the minigames weren't dominating them; from the third chapter onwards, I lost interest in the game. I finished it, of course, but I can only recommend it to those who don't care much about lousy puzzle design, illogical story or an overabundance of minigames.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #167

It's indeed sad news, Jehane. I still want to play the game, but my personal hype is pretty low now
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #168

I just wanted to tell that Mata Hari is out in Italy, and - if you're interested in the adventure and can't wait for a proper English release - the game is fully voiced in English (the Italian subtitles can be easily turned off). It's not the optimal choice, I know, but if you - like me - are dying to play the game, it could be worth trying.

I'm now in the Third Chapter of the game, and I'm liking it

Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 AM   #169

Quote:
That is great, Andrea!
Really good news. I want to play the game because of its historical settings and also because of its innovations.
Thanks for the info.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #170

Quote:
Nice

please keep us up to date !
Old 04-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #171

hi, i was wondering where can we buy the italian version?...also when is the english release coming? thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyliesthebest View Post
hi, i was wondering where can we buy the italian version?...also when is the english release coming? thanks
I don't know about the English release, but if you want you can buy the Italian version (bear in mind the all the text are in Italian, although the voice over is in English), from the Italian Internet Book Shop. Here's the link at the page of the game.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #173

So, Andrea, have you finished the game already? What are your final impressions? I'd really like to know because I still haven't met anybody who actually enjoyed the game thouroughly from beginning to end - you'd be the first
Old 04-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehane View Post
So, Andrea, have you finished the game already? What are your final impressions? I'd really like to know because I still haven't met anybody who actually enjoyed the game thouroughly from beginning to end - you'd be the first
Well, I've written a review for Adventure Gamers, so I can't fully reveal my secrets (otherwise no one would read the review ), but I can say that I really liked the game, from beginning to (especially) the end.

Old 04-18-2009, 04:56 AM   #175
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I don't know about the English release, but if you want you can buy the Italian version (bear in mind the all the text are in Italian, although the voice over is in English), from the Italian Internet Book Shop. Here's the link at the page of the game.
I would probably order it if it were not for my bad experiences with the Italian postal service.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I would probably order it if it were not for my bad experiences with the Italian postal service.
Effectively, I must admit that our postal service, especially toward foreign country, is sloppy...

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #177

hi, just wanted to find out from those who have played the german version of Mata Hari, does it have an option for English Subtitles? thanks
Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #178

Is there an option to have english subtitles in the italian version of the game?

I understand italian, but I find it really annoying when voices and subtitles are in two different languages and I understand both. It's like hearing each sentence twice.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:02 AM   #179

No, but you can turn the Italian subtitles off (apart from the animated cutscenes, which are pretty sparse).

Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #180

Is there an intro to the game, please? I was presented with a Russian copy which throws me straght in the gameplay, with Mata standing at the entrance, but no prologue whatsoever. Quite a rare thing not to have a backstory... So is there a movie at the start?