Thread: Mata Hari
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #166
Jehane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
What a pity! I still hope that they are wrong (yay, all of them! )
Sorry. They're not I've played the game myself a couple of weeks ago and it does have major flaws. Basically, the story fails to keep the player interested; it is disrupted by an awful load of stupid minigames that you can skip - but then you lose experience points and money. The puzzle design is ridiculous; for example, if Mata Hari wants to sign up for a new dancing show, she first needs to get permission from her impresario. Then he sends her on her way to find inspiration for a new dance. Once she found it, she is allowed to dance. Sounds simple enough but gets really annoying when you have to repeat that process over and over again. Same with travelling through Europe; it doesn't make sense, for example, for Mata Hari to travel to Berlin just in order to make a simple phone call. Are there no phones in Paris?

It's not overall bad, however. There are some strong points; the graphics are beautiful to look at, the visual effects are nicely done (you get sunlight streaming in from windows, reflecting shadows on the floor, people's garments move along when they walk...), the German voices are excellent, and the interface is easy enough to handle. The first two chapters were pretty nice to play, probably because the minigames weren't dominating them; from the third chapter onwards, I lost interest in the game. I finished it, of course, but I can only recommend it to those who don't care much about lousy puzzle design, illogical story or an overabundance of minigames.