You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #141
In an evening of July...

Comments on adventuretreff.de suggest that the game is below all expectations.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #142

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

kuze whats your plan will you give it a try.......? rather than following those comments. I am asking you because you are also from Germany where the game is out now.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #143
In an evening of July...

No, I won't. If even an adventuregame website that gives raving reviews to average games admits that an adventure game isn't that great, then I'm not interested.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #144
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Bummer. I had high hopes for this game. I have to at least try it.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #145

well the adventuretreff gave 83% to memento mori

i dont see whats the problem, seeing that for example syberia got 83% also

adventuretreff is one of the best adventure sites there, but if i would follow only scores, then i maybe wouldnt play al emmo that got 75, and is one of the best adventure in last couple of years
Old 11-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #146

Could someone translate the review and/or comments from the German site? Because we get totally different views from the two members

Last edited by dekaneas297; 11-24-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #147
In an evening of July...

There isn't a review yet, only a comment by "Hans", who appears to be on the adventuretreff staff:

Quote:
The review will be released in a few days. The game will probably get a lower score than expected by most (I'm not through yet though). Biggest flaws for now are the story and puzzle design.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #148
Senior *female* member

The few comments I read on another German forum were negative as well: boring, too much dialogue. Haven't seen any official review yet.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #149

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Your comments are let me down

But, still I will give it a try when English version comes out......
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 AM   #150

From what I tried to translate from two 2 comments in the German site mentioned above:

'Mata Hari didn't meet my expectations. The graphic is a matter of taste, the animated characters have succeeded quite well. But the story is in my view very tough. The puzzle design is almost silly and the little mini games are boring. Even optics and handling of the inventory was not attractive. No illustrative objects, only symbols that you have and must apply. I think this game is purely a matter of taste, for me it just lacked depth, tension, narrative density and good puzzle design. In the end it was so boring that I've not even finished it!'

'I am disappointed. The Mini Games are superfluous and becoming boring because they are like an endless loop again. It lacks the depth of the game, the tension, the experience.'

The word 'boring' is mentioned more than once...
I hope it gets an English version soon so we can test it ourselves
Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #151

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I hope it too. I've my eyes on this game since it was firstly announced, and I'm sorry to hear such comments. I really hope that the game would prove to be more than the boring experience they described.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #152
It's Hard To Be Humble

That's sad news. I'll probably still give it a shot. I'm fond of dialogue games, and puzzles are an extremely low priority for me. I almost suspect I'll enjoy this game more than most. However, that 'boring' epithet has me wondering.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 PM   #153
In an evening of July...

The first review is out on adventuretreff. To sum it up: boring, boring, boring, flawed. Dumb protagonist, logic flaws, uninspiring, boring dialogue, dead environment, minigames, too simple soundtrack. The only good thing they mention is the graphics - and guess what, the game still got 70%.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:42 PM   #154

Yeah, the review sounded more like 40%.
Anyway, big disappointment.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 AM   #155
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The reviewer even expresses doubts if Hal and Noah were really involved besides dropping a few ideas
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 AM   #156

Given that I don't understand German, is this the only review out there? Just to compare thoughts and realize if this one is just a personal opinion or if the flaws are real and present...
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #157

You can find on Critify, a german Gamerankings, all german Mata Hari reviews released so far. The other two reviews show even lower scores. They basically say the same, though. Great idea, poor execution.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #158
Schattenjäger

There are some more review scores on Critify now and the reaction on Mata Hari is pretty devestating unfortunately, very much unlike Memento Mori, which is doing pretty well in the german reviews.

I´ll probably get Mata Hari in the next weeks, but the combination of reviews and the opinion of german players i witnessed , doesen´t sound very promising.
Strange enough, that especially the story and gameplay are getting bashed nearly everywhere , concerning we´re talking about Hal Barwood and Noah Falstein.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...

Last edited by JackVanian; 12-20-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #159

What a pity! I still hope that they are wrong (yay, all of them! ) 'cause I had hopes so high for this title! When you get a change to play it, Murphy, let us know what you think about it!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #160
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I still hope that they are wrong (yay, all of them! ) 'cause I had hopes so high for this title!
Me too.