You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall Excitement Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 AM   #261
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

I agree with Dasilve. Besides, this is just one review.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
look at the user reviews if you don't think Gamespot is accurate. And as said before different staff rate different games, so it may varie slightly.
User scores are one of the reasons they're NOT accurate in adventure games reviews. In majority of cases user scores are much higher, so is average at Gamerankings.
Again, I'm talking about adventure games only. When it comes to other genres I tend to agree with Gamespot reviews in most cases.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 AM   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Have you actually played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3? It's truly a great game. So it's GameSpot's fault they don't think adventures are the be-all and end-all of all games? Come on.
Great game? yes. one of top4 best games ever made? no.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:21 AM   #264
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naveed
But still, you will admit that no one was expecting this score, it is Low compared to the standard set by TLJ. Dreamfall may not be the second coming of Jesus, but I think almost everyone was expecting somewhat glowing reviews.
One thing is sure that it's second coming of Tlj all i saw is same locations and characters with new detailed graphics
Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #265
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
Great game? yes. one of top4 best games ever made? no.
Its just a bloody review on a website, its not written in stone.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #266
Burning

Quote:
7.4 is good. TLJ got a bit of a higher score, but not by that much, it mostly got 8/10 and such. Who cares anyway, as long as the thing is good and not bad, its good enough for me.
TLJ got 9.3 from IGN, and GameSpot. I honestly don't care much about IGN, who gave DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball 9.2. Looking forward to the GameSpot review.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:25 AM   #267

Quote:
7.4 is good. TLJ got a bit of a higher score, but not by that much, it mostly got 8/10 and such. Who cares anyway, as long as the thing is good and not bad, its good enough for me.
Well.. in most good reviewing places I would say a 7/10 is a score that says the game is worth buying if you like that type of games. It's rather what they do say in the review that bothers me. I mean seriously, if developers are only capable of making Pac-man like stealth with added glass on the floor(lol) then they shouldn't include a lot of stealth sequences there.

of course assuming IGN is right about the gameplay. But we won't know for sure before we play it ourselves
Old 04-18-2006, 02:30 AM   #268

Quote:
TLJ got 9.3 from IGN, and GameSpot. I honestly don't care much about IGN, who gave DOA: Xtreme Beach Volleyball 9.2..
Don't forget about 9.0 for Wreckless
But IGN mostly keeps their reviewing staffs platform centric. THeir PC staff has been generaly much better than their Xbox reviewers
Old 04-18-2006, 02:31 AM   #269

Quote:
Its just a bloody review on a website, its not written in stone.
we are talking about reviews on that one single site So it does matter. even if otherwise it doesn't mean a thing
Old 04-18-2006, 02:34 AM   #270
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
we are talking about reviews on that one single site So it does matter. even if otherwise it doesn't mean a thing
And since the review is from one of the 'reputable' gaming site, it can influence the sales of the game.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:37 AM   #271

Quote:
And since the review is from one of the 'reputable' gaming site, it can influence the sales of the game.
yes, which is why I always get angry at Gamespot's adventure reviews
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 AM   #272
Dungeon Master

Some of you don't even try to hide their fanboyism. Since it's a first Dreamfall review from a major site, of course people will talk about it. Would you be so eager to ignore it if it was given a 9.9 score?

For me main fear that IGN review is caused by those complaints that can't be attributed to reviewers' personal preference. For example, I'd love to get a dollar every time AGs are slammed (even on our forum) for lazy design - utilizing the same pixel hunting, sliders, key-and-newspaper puzzles and whatnot. Isn't it about time we add bloody stealth sequences to the list? In recent years we had Broken Sword 3, Fahrenheit and even rather traditional Case of the Silver Earring that used it (on top of countless games of other genres that thought it's necessary to include this feature), and as much as I liked all three, BS3 was the only one in which sneaking was somewhat enjoyable. And now, rejoice, we'll be doing stealth half of the time in Dreamfall!

Wasn't the almost universal complain about TLJ, the overdrawn, if well-written, dialogue? Wasn't infusing the game with actual action supposed to be a way to streamline the game and add more suspense and excitement to the story? And now it turns out we'll spend up to ten minutes listening to the conversations anyway?

Finally, the combat sytem is said to be simplified and the player is guided through more difficult puzzles? What's the point in giving all these alternative paths we've been hearing about for years, if each path presents little to no challenge? Instead of appealing to both actioners and adventurers, the game may end up satisfying neither.

Of course, I will wait for reviews from more sources before making up my mind, but, seriously, the review does raise what seems like valid concerns to me. Deal with it, guys.
Old 04-18-2006, 03:27 AM   #273

There are some games that fans will buy regardless of the scores. This is one of them. There obviously was a demand for Dreamfall, so it will obviously sell decent enough according to expectations. Fans will buy the game, active gamers will look into it as long as the score is higher than 6 or 7 and see what the fuzz is about (and probably buy the original too, if they haven't played that already) and casual gamers don't read scores usually so they will probably just stumble across it and notice the nice girl on the cover and buy it.

This game is destined to sell well enough, the only question is will it sell more than expected and automatically seal the decision for a third game?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:56 AM   #274
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
And now, rejoice, we'll be doing stealth half of the time in Dreamfall!

Wasn't the almost universal complain about TLJ, the overdrawn, if well-written, dialogue? Wasn't infusing the game with actual action supposed to be a way to streamline the game and add more suspense and excitement to the story? And now it turns out we'll spend up to ten minutes listening to the conversations anyway?

Finally, the combat sytem is said to be simplified and the player is guided through more difficult puzzles? What's the point in giving all these alternative paths we've been hearing about for years, if each path presents little to no challenge? Instead of appealing to both actioners and adventurers, the game may end up satisfying neither.
Alternative paths promised there will be a way to avoid the action sequences, may be that's the reason of sneaking around half of the game

As for the length of the dialogs, if 10 minutes is the maximum listening to the conversation then it is already 1/3 of TLJ, where you need 30 minutes to listen Vestrum Tobias, so it is improved, as promised
Old 04-18-2006, 04:09 AM   #275
gin soaked boy

People, it's two reviews. Two (2). One of which is overwhelmingly positive and the other one says the game is decent. Almost none of us have played it yet either. Let's wait a little more.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:10 AM   #276

Regardless a mediocre review from a "mainstream" gaming site is bad news. It kills the good hype. I hope Gamespot or Gamespy reviews will be better if actually the game deserves it. It maybe sad but perhaps Dreamfall is not actually an excellent game. Who knows?

Mainstream press though is driving me mad at times. They are the ones saying that adventures should move on and start being innovative and more up to date but when they review a game that tries to be innovative they moan about not being classic enough!!! Dreamfall gets the thump down because it has too much mindless action sequences. I am sure Paradise will get slaughtered for the opposite...
Old 04-18-2006, 04:40 AM   #277

you should all stop arguing about 3 reviews. it's stupid, even the best games get good and bad reviews, 20 reviews down the line you might find out most reviewers loved it, or visa versa, you can't go on 1 review.

also, why do people cross reference reviews from different platforms? do you not think that when they decide on a graphics version for the xbox game they compare it to other xbox games graphics? hence getting a hight score than on the pc because xbox graphics in general are worse than the pc's.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 AM   #278
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktool
also, why do people cross reference reviews from different platforms? do you not think that when they decide on a graphics version for the xbox game they compare it to other xbox games graphics? hence getting a hight score than on the pc because xbox graphics in general are worse than the pc's.
Fair enough, makes sense.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
In TLJ you couldnt, as it caused graphic glitches. Now that 2D backgrounds are out though and its completely 3D I guess thats solved. You can't mix the two of them without serious AA being used.
OK. Maybe this post is a little late and beside the topic, but I played The Longest Journey with AA without a problem on a Geforce 4200ti. I think the glitches only accurs on ATI cards.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:35 AM   #280
Resident AG Ninja

Send a message via ICQ to TigerShard Send a message via AIM to TigerShard

I am still very excited for this game. One of my favorite games last year, Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, got around a 7.5 rating. I've been a fan of Ys for a very long time, and as a fan, I would give the game a 9.5 (for any Ys fan).

Will Dreamfall be the same way? What if AG gives the game 4 out of 5 stars, wouldn't that be, if directly converted, an 8/10 on IGNs scale? Yet most of us absolutely love many of the games that have been rated 4 out of 5 stars here. As other people have said, if you are a fan of the genre or the series, you can usually add a point or two to the score.

"Intution tells me how to live my day. Intuition tells me when to walk away. Could have turned left, could have turned right, but I ended up here, bang, in the middle of a real life" - Natalie Imbruglia 'Intuition'