View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 03:16 AM   #272
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Some of you don't even try to hide their fanboyism. Since it's a first Dreamfall review from a major site, of course people will talk about it. Would you be so eager to ignore it if it was given a 9.9 score?

For me main fear that IGN review is caused by those complaints that can't be attributed to reviewers' personal preference. For example, I'd love to get a dollar every time AGs are slammed (even on our forum) for lazy design - utilizing the same pixel hunting, sliders, key-and-newspaper puzzles and whatnot. Isn't it about time we add bloody stealth sequences to the list? In recent years we had Broken Sword 3, Fahrenheit and even rather traditional Case of the Silver Earring that used it (on top of countless games of other genres that thought it's necessary to include this feature), and as much as I liked all three, BS3 was the only one in which sneaking was somewhat enjoyable. And now, rejoice, we'll be doing stealth half of the time in Dreamfall!

Wasn't the almost universal complain about TLJ, the overdrawn, if well-written, dialogue? Wasn't infusing the game with actual action supposed to be a way to streamline the game and add more suspense and excitement to the story? And now it turns out we'll spend up to ten minutes listening to the conversations anyway?

Finally, the combat sytem is said to be simplified and the player is guided through more difficult puzzles? What's the point in giving all these alternative paths we've been hearing about for years, if each path presents little to no challenge? Instead of appealing to both actioners and adventurers, the game may end up satisfying neither.

Of course, I will wait for reviews from more sources before making up my mind, but, seriously, the review does raise what seems like valid concerns to me. Deal with it, guys.