• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Outcast Remastered

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Some here will say that Outcast is not an adventure game. I disagree. Although the game contain some elements of action and RPG, it is still an adventure in its essence. I now found out that they are making a remaster of the original and got very excited about it. Back in 1999, when the game was released, it was one of the first to use the concept of “open world”, and is one of the best games I ever played. I just want to know what you guys think about it and if someone knows the date of the release (I only know that it should be in March this year).

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Good thing original developer Appeal in charge for remake ,both techically an gameplay wise game so inventive back then and hope they can expand on it and implement elements for
compete today’s open world gaming..riding flying pterosaurs would be delight for a start.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2017-02-12

PM

I thought this project was scrapped years ago but I just looked it up and it looks great.  I have very fond memories of the original and after revisiting it not too long ago it still looks and plays great.  The music is still spot on and the game was years ahead of its time with the open world setting.  If anything this game should receive a lot more credit than it does for being one of the first “true” open world games.  Cant wait for Second Contact.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve thought this was abandoned as well. Great if they are finally getting this one out.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

What this game has to offer has nothing out of the box or unique considering Horizon is on the horizon and plenty of open world games looking similar
It was The game when it first came out, i wonder how can they do anything to differentiate or write good script

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Like you, uberegg, I can’t wait for this game. If they just improve the graphics and gameplay, this is already a game to look after. Wonderfull to know that the original Appeal guys are in charge of this.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

While I loved the ideas behind Outcast, I wouldn’t call it an adventure game. It is very action-oriented and requires a lot of reflexes. And the “adventure” elements are basically endless fetch quests that make you run back and forth and talk to very boring characters. That’s why I never finished it. If only they hired professional writers/designers. Maybe they will for the sequel. It is still a very beautiful and interactive world, a great achievement for its time, although hardly a breakthrough as far as open world games go - Ultima and other RPGs came out years before, not to mention Elite or GTA, or even Monkey Island 2 to some extent.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Doom - 12 February 2017 04:59 PM

While I loved the ideas behind Outcast, I wouldn’t call it an adventure game. It is very action-oriented and requires a lot of reflexes.

No it ain’t,action was only casual(there is default bullet time) and stealth possible.But
have intensity of gameplay like if you cause a local get injured they refuse to help you.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Doom - 12 February 2017 04:59 PM

talk to very boring characters. That’s why I never finished it. If only they hired professional writers/designers. Maybe they will for the sequel. It is still a very beautiful and interactive world, a great achievement for its time, although hardly a breakthrough as far as open world games go - Ultima and other RPGs came out years before, not to mention Elite or GTA, or even Monkey Island 2 to some extent.

This , character chats bored me out
Also it was like great tech demo to do things, now only that hook wont be enough
as we have had W3 and now Horizon

Also agree with shooting action notion, it was not adventure
Real breakthrough came shortly after in the form of Omikron and Shenmue

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Gabe - 13 February 2017 01:29 AM

No it ain’t,action was only casual(there is default bullet time) and stealth possible. But have intensity of gameplay like if you cause a local get injured they refuse to help you.

Many people have trouble with arcade sequences in adventure games, and Outcast regularly throws armies of enemies at you that require different tactics and perfect aiming, not to mention AI that allows for a number of maneuvers like teaming and raising alert. It’s an important part of gameplay that can’t be simply avoided (of course, there are ways).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Outcast was an action adventure game (it even says so in big letters on the box) and a great one at that as well. Its greatness was recogniced when it came out (want to remember that PC Gamer over here gave it one of the highest scores ever, I believe it got 95 %). I still remember the soundtrack that was performed by Moscows symphony orchestra if I’m not mistaken. I agree that it was way ahead of its time since everybody is doing open world now almost 20 years later. It was quite an accomplishment to pull it of back then.

nomadsoul - 12 February 2017 04:16 PM

What this game has to offer has nothing out of the box or unique considering Horizon is on the horizon and plenty of open world games looking similar
It was The game when it first came out, i wonder how can they do anything to differentiate or write good script

I agree. Since the number of similair open world games has skyrocketed many has obviously managed to excel on many aspects beyond technical ones. The script, characters and world of Witcher 3 comes to mind.

Obviously they can still change whatever they want for a remake but I rather be playing a completely new game to be honest.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Henke - 13 February 2017 04:52 PM

I agree. Since the number of similair open world games has skyrocketed many has obviously managed to excel on many aspects beyond technical ones. The script, characters and world of Witcher 3 comes to mind

Infact took me alot of convincing on Horizon too, its doing many great things
Otherwise openworld, i am burnt out

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top