• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 26 September 2012

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*thread necromancy*

But I did just finish my replay… Grin

Escape From Monkey Island - 4 / 5

This is one of the most underrated games out there. Criticism goes from the awful graphics to a deep hatred of Monkey Kombat, to a claim that it’s just completely unfunny. I don’t agree with this at all.
In fact, when the game was just released, the graphics were actually quite decent. 3D animation hadn’t evolved so far that it was stunning, but there were games that did it way worse. I agree that the graphics are outdated now, but the only real criticism should be that this game didn’t have the amazing Bill Tiller art work that Curse of Monkey Island had. But at least they tried to mimick that style, and they did a decent job at that, imo.
Escape From Monkey Island also had a pretty good (and appropriately zany) story, just like its predecessors, and the humour really is good once again. Add Dominic Armato’s hilarious voice-over to that again, and you’re set for enjoyment.
A lot of the puzzles are well designed too, which is no mean feat after 3 games in the exact same universe with the exact same puzzle style. The only puzzle that could’ve been better was in fact Monkey Kombat. Not because it’s badly designed, but because it lacks an important aspect that the comparable Insult Swordfighting DID have in the previous games: Monkey Kombat isn’t funny. That’s why it’s cute at first, but gets tedious real fast.
Since that’s about the only real gripe I have with the game, I can do nothing else but conclude that Escape From Monkey Island is a great game. It may not be as utterly amazing as its predecessors, but that doesn’t mean that it deserves all the criticism its gotten over the years. This game is alright in my book…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I agree with Timovieman! I agree with Timovieman! Break out the party music and cake, it’s time for a celebration Tongue

Although, Four stars is still generous for the game. Which makes me think, I wonder if it says more about me or the current AG scene that I would kill for a new comedy adventure as good as EfMI? Deponia, Critter Chronicles, Haunted - all enjoyable, but not half as much as MI4.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Hey - I agree with Timovieman too!
Enjoy it while it last Tim, it might not happen again for a long time Smile

Oscar - 03 March 2013 09:00 AM

Which makes me think, I wonder if it says more about me or the current AG scene that I would kill for a new comedy adventure as good as EfMI?

I think it says more about you Oscar Tongue
There are still made plenty of funny of games like Edna & Harvey or… Ok not all are as funny as the old ones like MI, so i guess it also says something about the current scene.

Edit: I actually often agree with you Tim, but where is the fun in writing that?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

You people are crazy! Escape from Monkey Island is garbage. Even worse than Telltales version.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I actually also liked Telltales version Meh

I know that means i belong to a minority here on the forum, but i don’t think it was as bad as many describe it.

And yes i am a little bit Crazy, but aren’t we all?

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, I disagree with Timmovieman (that is also rare).
Without commenting the graphics or the monkey combat, and despite having some well designed riddles and the introduction of Ozzie (I really liked him), I think its writing was awful. The humour was not just nowhere near the other MI standards, it was rally bad. As I said before, it takes a lot of skill to make Murray NOT funny and irritating. The majority of the characters while trying to be funny, were simply caricatures with no real depth of a character (guess the IMHO awful voice acting was also a factor). The story while good generally, had some bad moments. A giant monkey robot? Seriously? Not a bad game in general, but there are much greater expectations from a MI game. 4/5 is VERY generous. I found Telltale’s ToMI far superior.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s certainly the weakest of the four, but I still enjoyed it.

Not sure why is has the reputation that everyone hates it as it reviewed extremely well at release.

GameRankings 83%
Metacritic 86 of 100
Adventure Gamers 4.0 of 5
Eurogamer 9/10
GameSpot 8.1 of 10
IGN       8.7/10
PC Zone 8.2 of 10

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 03 March 2013 09:00 AM

I agree with Timovieman! I agree with Timovieman! Break out the party music and cake, it’s time for a celebration Tongue

Iznogood - 03 March 2013 09:49 AM

Hey - I agree with Timovieman too!
Enjoy it while it last Tim, it might not happen again for a long time Smile

Sefir - 03 March 2013 10:18 AM

Well, I disagree with Timmovieman (that is also rare).

What is this? The Twilight Zone??? Gasp

Sefir - 03 March 2013 10:18 AM

The story while good generally, had some bad moments. A giant monkey robot? Seriously?

A theme park? Seriously? Wink
The Monkey Island universe is known for all its zany nonsensical content. A giant monkey robot? Why not?

4/5 is VERY generous.

It’s the right score in my book… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 03 March 2013 11:33 AM

What is this? The Twilight Zone??? Gasp

Sometimes life surpasses fiction.
Weird stuff often happens in real life, that had it been fiction, it would be seen as totally unrealistic and unbelievable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top