• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Funniest Comedy Games

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 30 January 2017 06:42 PM

Humorous, Light-funny, Smile and Lips-Crackers VS Hilarious, Very-Funny, -Loud-Laughing-cause(er), Mouth Crackers

And why can’t the best comedy games be both? You can’t be consistently laugh-out-loud funny - I’m not even sure that would work - but you can be consistently funny AND often be laugh-out-loud funny to boot.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 06:27 PM

Edit:

I noticed you changed your first post. That makes my previous paragraph all the more relevant. A game doesn’t have to be laugh-out-loud funny ALL the time to be considered a hilarious game. Being consistently funny with a number of laugh-out-loud moments thrown in is more than enough.

i changed yes, to clarify it, as i was afraid that my limit of vocabulary (as always) could cause a diffrent meaning than what is intended, so whether i understood wrong or expressed wrongly i did change it to add to my statement what could make it more understandable or for it doesn’t get understood wrongly, the changes weren’t to make (by any chance) any changes to my/the ideas posted before/earlier.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 30 January 2017 06:48 PM
Advie - 30 January 2017 06:42 PM

Humorous, Light-funny, Smile and Lips-Crackers VS Hilarious, Very-Funny, -Loud-Laughing-cause(er), Mouth Crackers

And why can’t the best comedy games be both?

if it reached the latter group, of being Hilarious, Very-Funny, -Loud-Laughing-cause(er), Mouth Crackers then it is (it is being both), becs i think (and you might agree); any comedy venture/venue could not be this way (of being of the 2nd group) without easily (and necessarily) being of the 1st group (being Humorous, Light-funny, Smile and Lips-Crackers) but NOT vice verse .

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 30 January 2017 07:00 PM

if it reached the latter group, of being Hilarious, Very-Funny, -Loud-Laughing-cause(er), Mouth Crackers then it is (it is being both), becs i think (and you might agree); any comedy venture/venue could not be this way (of being of the 2nd group) without easily (and necessarily) being of the 1st group (being Humorous, Light-funny, Smile and Lips-Crackers but NOT vice verse .

Why not? A moderately funny game could easily have one side-character that gets all the funniest lines and is laugh-out-loud funny, without taking away from the otherwise “less” funny nature of the rest of the game.
Missile in Ghost Trick is one such example.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i never seen it Timo, or the kind of comedy that is (this sorta)laughing out loud without being -the-smile, the-light-laughing too, so you could be right, but i don’t know about it

edit/add: and ve i got your example ..i would like to play GT one day,, it goes both ways, vise verse too Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I’m not sure if it’s because I played it when I was growing up, or it just fit with the style of humor I prefer, but the original Sam and Max: Hit the Road has always been the funniest to me.

I also preferred the Maniac Mansion style of humor to the more hit-you-over-the-head style of Day of the Tentacle.  But that had some funny scenes too.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-11-04

PM

Detective Mosely - 31 January 2017 12:13 AM

I’m not sure if it’s because I played it when I was growing up, or it just fit with the style of humor I prefer, but the original Sam and Max: Hit the Road has always been the funniest to me.

I also preferred the Maniac Mansion style of humor to the more hit-you-over-the-head style of Day of the Tentacle.  But that had some funny scenes too.

I haven’t finished playing it but I absolutely agree with Hit the Road. It’s definitely up my comedy alley, but I have a very dark sense of humor.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tex murphy
Ghost trick
Fandango
Broken sword

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Toonstruck with the legendary Tim Curry as Count Nefarious. It doesn’t get much funnier on a PC.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

giom - 30 January 2017 04:49 PM

If you focus on the unfunniest games, all you get is a negative vibe and people who are hurt because their favorite game is derided. There’s no constructive analysis,  just bashing.

I completely agree, which is also why I wrote what I did in the other thread.

My personal funniest game, well there are many and I haven’t got a complete list but I would like to mention:

The Deponia Series
Yes I know, many don’t find them funny and there are even some that claim that German humour isn’t funny or that it doesn’t translate very well, I disagree!

The thing about the Deponia series is that the humour isn’t really in the dialog, and not based on clever word play and other things that we are used to from English humour, instead it is much more situational and based on the absurdity of the plot and Rufus’s actions. For example placing a pyramid of crystal glass with the explicit instructions of NOT to break them, with our expiations of course being that Rufus will break them, and then have them being broken but in a completely unexpected way, and not only that, but having them broken several times in different ways - that is something I find immensely funny.

I fact at its best Deponia reminds me of the good old Pink Panther films. 

Hector: Badge of Carnage
I’m surprised no one has mentioned this before, but this is one of the funniest games ever made!

It is in many ways the direct opposite of Deponia, with the humour being more in the dialogue than in the situations, and of course with the foulest language and the dirtiest way of thinking ever seen in a protagonist - Seriously Larry is a choirboy compared to hector. British humour at its very best. 

Edna & Harvey
Both The Breakout and Harvey’s New Eyes!
In many ways in combine the qualities of Deponia and Hector, and has much of the same situational comedy as Deponia, but the dialogue is much funnier and better written.

The Next BIG Thing
I simply love this game, and I especailly like how the relationship between the two main characters was like a 40’s screwball comedy, but also the whole plot was absolutely hilarious with many rolling on the floor moments.

Diskworld Series
Again, British humour at its best, perhaps not as many outright fits of laugher as the first four, but still more than just a few smiles. My personal favourite is Discworld Noir, though the funniest is probably the first game.

Sam & Max
Both the original “Hit the Road” and the telltale series.

The Ballads of Reemus: When the Bed Bites
Not sure how to describe it, perhaps similar to Edna & Harvey?!? But it also had me laughing out load several times.

Simon the Sorcerer
Not just the first two, but all of them!
I have never really understood all the flack the later games got? They might not be quite as good on all parameters, but personally I still found them extremely funny.

Monkey Island
The whole series, even the telltale version.
Admittedly, most of the time it is more of putting a smile on your face, than outright laughing out loud - but there are also some lol moments.

Honourable mentions: Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, Book of Unwritten Tales (all 3), Leisure Suit Larry (I prefer the first 2-3 ones), Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People, Toonstruck, Ceville, Stupid Invaders.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2017-02-02

PM

Beneath A Steel Sky.

Not technically what you’d call a comedy game, but that’s why the humor in it works so well. It’s grounded in the game’s reality. As far as British quips go, you can’t go wrong with “tha BASS.”

In recent memory, Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet is the game that made me laugh the hardest. Gotta give some love to Her Majesty’s SPIFFING, too.

Edit: Remind me to add Paradigm to this list when it comes out. Wink I’ve been lucky enough to test this game, and it’s tremendously funny.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

For me it has to be all 3 seasons of Telltale’s Sam & Max. Quite a few moments in every episode that made me laugh, especially from Max.
Last time I’ve played Sam & Max Hit the Road was in the 90s, but can’t really remember if the game was as funny.
Only other series I can think of that really made me crack a few smiles was Monkey Island

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

What people find funny is going to vary. Many of the games mentioned in this thread I didn’t find funny at all, but that may have been as much to do with when I played them as the games themselves. Maybe if I replayed them they’d be more funny to me.

Some of the games I thought were funny at the time I played them are…

Beneath a Steel Sky
Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Monkey Island 1, 3
Simon the Sorcerer 3 (I don’t remember 1 and 2)

The effectiveness of slapstick, over-the-top type of humor is going to be more dependent on when I play it than less in-your-face types. So games like Grim Fandango and Beneath a Steel Sky are more likely to be funny on a replay than something like Day of the Tentacle or Simon 3—despite that at the time I played it, I thought Day of the Tentacle was the funniest game I’d ever played.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The funniest adventure game I have ever played has to be Day of the Tentacle. It is like a Looney Tunes cartoon come to life. Not only are the in-game jokes funny, but also the over the top animations, and the voice acting all add to the comedy. Even the way Laverne walks around is humorous Grin

And speaking of cartoons, another game that I played recently and found hilarious was Toonstruck. Christopher Lloyd killed it in that game.

Some other funny games I recall are:
- Monkey Island 1-3
- Sam and Max Hit the Road
- Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!
- Phoenix Wright
- Grim Fandango (Subtle sarcastic humor)

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2017-05-07

PM

Broken sword
Phoenix Wright

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top