• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day—Friday 30 December 2016

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Casual Friday

Adam Wolfe is a series about a paranormal detective whose sister disappeared two years ago. He’s been searching for her ever since. Recently, Adam started to investigate a series of fires in his hometown of San Francisco, and this causes him to stumble across a mysterious cabal – a group with ancient knowledge and supernatural abilities. Members of the cabal begin dying – perfectly ordinary for mortals, but in this case odd, since each member has been alive for centuries. As Adam tries to figure out who (or what) is behind the fires, and learns more about the cabal, his life is also increasingly in danger.

This is a Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure by Mad Head Games that focuses on story and puzzles with only occasional HO screens. One feature I particularly enjoyed is called Intense Focus. This allows you to search for clues in the environment, and then requires you to place them in order before the chief clue is revealed. The story pace is much faster and more action-packed than is common in HO games.

The series includes four episodes. You can purchase the season pass on Steam, or you can buy the game in two gulps on Big Fish – Adam Wolfe: Flames of Time (episodes 1 and 2) and Adam Wolfe: Blood of Eternity (episodes 3 and 4). I’ve finished the first episode and am looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I just finished episodes 1-4. I enjoyed them very much and as Becky says, the story is fast paced and action-packed. What it is not is puzzle heavy. There are puzzles of the Mad Head Games sort but they are not very difficult and a number are just excuses to click your mouse. The atmosphere, a bit noirish with a paranormal twist, is great and the story is strong.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I agree that the puzzles in episode 1 are on the easy side. I don’t think that’s necessarily a drawback. Loading the game up with difficult puzzles automatically slows the pace. I think this is a game where the story is supposed to unfold rather speedily.

Personally (and I know there are plenty of people who will disagree with me) I don’t want every game to contain lots of head-scratching puzzles. Lately I’ve been playing games with tough puzzles (Obduction and Haven Moon, for example). It’s rather nice to take a break from that with Adam Wolfe and try something with an intense story where the puzzles go easy on me.

I like variety.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks for posting for me. Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, how long are each of the episodes? Does one episode equal one normal game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 343

Joined 2012-03-13

PM

I don’t think the easier puzzles in this game are necessarily a drawback. I just wanted to mention it so anyone who is primarily interested in the puzzles would know what they are getting.

Tim, I would say that two episodes would be one game lengthwise. They are sold that way at Big Fish, that is how I played them and it worked out about right.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Tim—I didn’t time it, but looking back, I think episode 1 took me about 2 hours to complete.

Thanks furgotten—good point re: the importance of describing puzzle difficulty to those who might be thinking of playing.

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Becky, I’m tempted to try the demo!  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I played the demo. It took me 22 minutes to complete, which worries me a bit. But I’m going to get it later today anyway. I wasn’t aware that this game even existed so thanks a bunch for posting it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

These Adam Wolfe games weren’t even on my radar until your post, Becky.  Since Big Fish is having a half-off sale today, I think I’ll try them.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I just finished Act Two. I guess I will need to get the second bundle to see how this ends.

I timed myself, and it took me about 1:20 to finish the second act. If that holds, that’s paying a CE price for less than five hours of total gameplay and no bonus material. Still, the story is good.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s on sale for $9.99 for all four episodes during the Steam Winter Sale.

Though now that I look closely, the Winter Sale lasts only about six hours more. Act fast?  Cool

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 02 January 2017 06:09 AM

It’s on sale for $9.99 for all four episodes during the Steam Winter Sale.

Though now that I look closely, the Winter Sale lasts only about six hours more. Act fast?  Cool

Two problems. One is that I don’t need to buy four episodes since I already bought the first two. Two, I really don’t like Steam. But thanks for the info. I’ve got a game credit I can use on BFG, so that’s the likely route I will take.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Actually, Becky, Steam has it going for $7.99 for the Season Pass, but now there’s only 35 minutes left on their sale!  Tongue

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hi Mike—I’m not quite sure what a season pass covers. Might it be what you buy if you purchase the first episode, decide you like the series, and then want the final 3 episodes?

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I believe you’re right, Becky. I thought that price ($7.99) was for all four, but no way to tell now. Other season passes are as you described however, so it makes sense that this would be also.

Cheers!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

The Steam Winter Sale opportunity is gone - but you can get all the episodes (plus some other things) for $6 as part of this Holiday Helpings bundle from Groupees.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top