• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Saturday 15 October 2016

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The Legend of Lotus Spring

In this game you play a Chinese emperor in the1800s as he revisits the historic Garden of Perfect Brightness and remembers his time with his lovely mistress, Lotus Spring, who had been banished there by the emperor’s first wife.  As you wander through the many buildings and gardens, you have some puzzles to solve which trigger videos that show a particular aspect of the Chinese culture of the day, such as music, art, calligraphy, religion, food, and clothing.  Each area adds a page to Lotus Spring’s diary, which explains the activities in more detail.  It’s a lovely little game with a cute Chinese doll cursor, but it’s difficult to run on new computers because it uses a very early version of QuickTime.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I got the game years ago & never got around to playing it - I know it won’t play on my Win 7 but wondering whether it will work on XP?  Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

That is an intriguing plot. It’s unfortunate I’ll probably never get to play it, so I’ll just have to hope for a remake someday.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

According to my manual, it runs on Windows 95/98/NT.  The version of QT needed, 3.0.2, is included on the first of the two CDs.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

chrissie - 15 October 2016 03:55 PM

I got the game years ago & never got around to playing it - I know it won’t play on my Win 7 but wondering whether it will work on XP?  Smile

I played it on my previous computer, which was XP.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I played it when it first released and enjoyed it. In a way it was ahead of its time because the puzzles are very simple, and the emphasis is more on exploration and a slow reveal of the story. I remember being surprised at how young the emperor looks (maybe 15 years old?). Way too young to be hanging out in a pleasure garden of that sort. Though I guess if you’re an emperor you can do exactly what you want?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Becky - 17 October 2016 09:37 AM

I played it when it first released and enjoyed it. In a way it was ahead of its time because the puzzles are very simple, and the emphasis is more on exploration and a slow reveal of the story. I remember being surprised at how young the emperor looks (maybe 15 years old?). Way too young to be hanging out in a pleasure garden of that sort. Though I guess if you’re an emperor you can do exactly what you want?

That’s exactly what I’d be doing if I were 15 years old and a Chinese emperor.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

“Lovely” is an apt description.  The game had a very calming effect on me and I remember it was also so poignant.  I’d rank it with my favorites.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 October 2016 03:03 PM

According to my manual, it runs on Windows 95/98/NT.  The version of QT needed, 3.0.2, is included on the first of the two CDs.

Unfortunately there are a lot of games out there that were designed around earlier versions of QT that are no longer available, or , even if they are, can’t be run on current machines. One of my old favorites, Amber: Journey Beyond, is one of those. While I’ve heard from others that there is a way, I’ve never been able to get it to run on my Win7 machine.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top