• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Escape the Room

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Oh hey there.

I haven’t posted in this forum in like 15 years but I used to be a regular. Work, family, kids can really cramp your style!

I just learned about a real life adventure game called Escape the Room and it sounds like you and your friends get locked in a room and have to find and decipher cryptic clues to find a way out. My friend was telling me about it and I said, “I feel like I’ve been training my whole life for this.”

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you have tried this and what it was like. Is it worth paying a babysitter for?

Here’s a link to the one near me.  I think they have games all over the world.

http://www.escapetheroomphilly.com

Thanks,
Tim

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

i have played a few real life escape the rooms…but what is the point…this topic will be deleted very soon from now.

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Point is adventure games have evolved over the years. Started as text based and moved to point and click. Some games have really pushed the boundaries of what we consider a traditional adventure game.

A real life game with the same principles of the adventure games I’ve always known and loved sounds intriguing and fun. I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and what you thought.

I remember a thread on this forum years ago in which people were discussing times they found themselves in real life situations when they had to use adventure game principles to help themselves. It was fun and no one deleted the thread.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

timpooz - 03 September 2016 08:05 AM

Point is adventure games have evolved over the years. Started as text based and moved to point and click. Some games have really pushed the boundaries of what we consider a traditional adventure game.

A real life game with the same principles of the adventure games I’ve always known and loved sounds intriguing and fun. I was wondering if anyone here had tried it and what you thought.

I remember a thread on this forum years ago in which people were discussing times they found themselves in real life situations when they had to use adventure game principles to help themselves. It was fun and no one deleted the thread.

Your opening post sounded to be like that of a bot. if you are truly to engage a discussion here than i apologize for my wrong presumption.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Iv been to six of these and its been turning into a hobby. And yes, its live action adventure gaming and its seeing a surge in popularity. For me one thing i look for is games that hire legit actors for a really immersive experience. Some others are pretty story lite and just focus on the puzzles. Games that are story intensive are particularly fantastic and i have reccomendations for the newyork and boston areas.

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Me - a bot? Does not compute!

I like the idea of making it story focused if possible. Just sitting in a room sounding puzzles might be fun but more immersive is better.  And that right there is one of those debates on what makes a great adventure game - puzzle vs. story, right?

Zane, have these been difficult? Glad to hear it does have adventure game elements that hopefully will make it more fun.  I will definitely ask for recommendations if I look to do this in NYC or Boston. They have it where I live in Philly so I make start there.

Thanks!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Just like adventure games the types of puzzles and difficulty varies a lot. Some rooms have a more linear progression while others are designed for the group to scatter in different directions and bring clues together. Also some focus more on cryptology and message decoding, while others might focus on hands-on visual puzzles. A difficult part to anticipate is your group chemistry, odds are you’ll be doing this with at least some strangers and its not always easy to instantly click with people you just met and working together is important. My favorite room iv done they handcuff you and lock you in separate cells that are next to eachother and you need to verbally communicate and hand things off into the other cells. Theres only so much you can do by yourself and the cooperation makes for some very interesting puzzles.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

odds are you’ll be doing this with at least some strangers

Why? Around here most rooms can be done with 2-4 persons, surely you have 3 friends.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Antrax - 06 September 2016 11:48 PM

odds are you’ll be doing this with at least some strangers

Why? Around here most rooms can be done with 2-4 persons, surely you have 3 friends.

Most of the ones I’ve looked up around here say they will likely put you with other people unless you book the room’s entire capacity. So even if the room CAN be done with 4, if they have 8 spots available they likely will put another 4 people in with you unless nobody else wants to book that time.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I didn’t know a thing like this existed. How fun is it for non-adventure-y people?

I did a quick search online, and there is one location in my immediate vicinity with 4 of these rooms. Would very much like to try it out…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 194

Joined 2008-09-23

PM

If by non-adventure-y people you mean people who don’t play AGs, that’s fine. I have played one room (still want to do more!), and half of the people I’ve played it with probably never touched an adventure game in their lives. My mom also played one, and she is not into computer games or puzzles and riddles. Her verdict? She loved it and wants to do more of them.

What you do need to enjoy it is an adventure-y sense as in a certain curiosity and wanting to solve the riddles and/or puzzles in the room. But I think the rooms themselves can do a very good job at creating an atmosphere and story to get you excited.

As for the number of people: the room I did was listed as for 4-6 people or something like that. Signing up with any number within that range was fine. I guess it depends on the room.

Go try it out if you can. To me it was like stepping into a real-life adventure game and actually being allowed to physically take everything that was not nailed down Grin

If ever there will be another forum meet, it should include an escape room :p

A prince it is? I see. And I am Lord of this dusty path!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

It definitely has broad appeal, and theres many sorts of themes you can find: zombie/horror, crime scene investigation, fallout shelter, insane asylum, are some that iv seen. Iv always thought our genre has broad appeal, people just dont know it (or realize theyr playing an adventure). Some people might enjoy searching behind every painting and opening every drawer, while others might prefer decoding messages or opening a puzzle box. So a well made room appeals to a broad group.
Average capacity iv found is 6-8 people, and yes the place will book to capacity unless you pay for the whole room.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The ones near me are intended for 2-6 people (with one room going up to 8 people). Pricing increases the bigger the group is, but the price per person drops, so I take it you book the room for your group and your group alone.

I so HAVE to try this. Now how to get the missus and some of the friends excited??? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I think the “fill to capacity” depends on the city/country. Here no room has this policy since the whole point is teamwork and who wants to teamwork with strangers? The rooms also have configurable difficulty, and they usually set it based on the team’s experience, which won’t be uniform with a random group.

The way it works is you get put in a room and have 60 minutes to escape/locate an object. An operator watches you and hears your conversations, and you’re free to appeal to get a hint whenever you feel stuck.

The physical hindrances to progression can be locks (regular or combination) and can be more elaborate mechanisms (they use magnets embedded in objects in the room, so pretty much anything can trigger a reaction). The rooms are fully automated.
Puzzles can range from pixel hunts (finding a physical key to a lock somewhere in the room) to inventory (finding the right object to fish a key from behind glass is one I had recently), slider-type puzzles or decoding stuff, which can range from simple to complex.
To give an example, in the last room I was in, a puzzle chain looked like this: find a physical key to a locked cupboard. Inside is a light switch. You turn off the light, need to notice one of the pictures on the wall, featuring chess pieces, is glowing. The glowing pieces need to be correlated to a chess board in the room, where the rows correspond to digits in a combination lock located elsewhere. So, it’s not always super obvious.

The rooms are usually very cool-looking, matching the backstory. In that sense, immersion is easy.

Some rooms have actors within the room, some don’t. I personally prefer no actors.

Operators aim to get everyone to succeed in the nick of time. They won’t admit to it but they have a variety of less-explicit hints they can trigger if they see you’re on the right track and was distracted by something irrelevant. You can ask them not to fudge at all but I think this adds to the enjoyment, not detracts from it, especially if the operator is good.

So, I would certainly recommend it to others, regardless of their AG experience. Some of the more lateral thinking type things can be difficult to people who aren’t experienced with cat mustache puzzles, but you can pick a room or set the difficulty so this won’t be an issue.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 08 September 2016 02:29 AM

I so HAVE to try this. Now how to get the missus and some of the friends excited??? Tongue

Step 1: find rooms with themes they are interested in Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top