• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Columnae - A Past Under Construction

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey dudes! Thought I’d let everyone know about this cool little game that’s being made by my Serbian neighbours, Moonburnt Studios. It’s called Columnae, and it’s a visually striking point and click adventure with interesting non-linear time mechanics.

It has a limbo-esque look to it that I’m really digging.

And I love the steampunk aesthetic.

There’s a playable demo, too. I played a bit and loved it. Best use of god rays in an adventure game to date Laughing

There’s an ongoing Kickstarter campaignfor Columnae that I was very happy to throw a few bucks at, I’d love for this game to happen.

What do you think? I have very little time to play these days, let alone demos, but this one really impressed me.

PS here’s a bit about the interesting concept of retrocausality:

Retrocausality. The stories of COLUMNAE will be told in eight chapters: events from Chapter 2 happen after those in Chapter 1, events from Chapter 3 after Chapter 2 and so on. However, they will not be played chronologically, but in the following order: 4, 1, 3, 5, 7, 6, 2, 8. This twist, along with continuous branching of the story based on your choices, will enable you (as the player) to affect not only the future, but also the past of the character you are playing and the world surrounding him. The concept of retrocausality is perhaps best explained with an example (not a real in-game situation, so not really a spoiler): if you (as a player) decide to avoid being seen by the policeman in Chapter 4, then there must be some reason in your character’s past why he would do that. Maybe he’s a wanted person? Or he distrusts the police just because ACAB? Or he had some not-so-pleasant experiences with them earlier? But perhaps it has nothing to do with the guy being a policeman at all, but because he’s a really boring person whom the protagonist knows from his childhood. Which of those possibilities is true will be determined by some other actions that the player chooses to do during Chapter 4. And then, when Chapter 1 starts, the character will be placed in an appropriate version of it depending on the decisions the player made during Chapter 4. Of course, during Chapter 4 you also do some stuff that leaves the usual “future-consequences”, so it will also affect what happens in chapters 5, 6, 7 and 8. Combination of the effects of your choices gets more and more complex with every advancing chapter, leaving you with a sense of an open world, but still the one with a meaningful story.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I clicked on the playable demo link but there was nothing but the logo.  The playable game download link is on the Kickstarter page.  The narrator on the nonplayable demo is excellent and the game looks intriguing. 

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Yeah, stupid me, always in a hurry, pasted the wrong link. This is the correct one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top