• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your top(5) developers (people)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

One always called games by their developers/companies; ttg LucasArts, Daedalic, Wadjet Eyes but as much those echo and expose their major directions they could vary from within, LucasArts doesn’t mean Ron or Tim and so on…
following certain people always applied a certain spectrum for their kind of games/products, like when i discovered What Makes You Tick, upon identifying the person behind it (Matt Kempke before joining Daedalic) who brought The Night of The Rabbit, which had cued me that i am already in love with his games, but yet to be proven how far would he go, with only two Ags up his sleeves.

I always had Scott Murphy at the top of my favorite devs, and out for claiming fair credits for one who had really the great impact over my childhood comes Roberta Williams, after those two it was Benoit Sokal, then more recently i felt convinced to Martin Ganteföhr and Dave Gilbert way of delivering the mature games i so crave for.

honorable mentions; Robyn/Rand Miller, Steve Ince, Bill Teller, Ragnar, Poke, Jan Klose

Total Posts: 32

Joined 2016-06-15

PM

Good question Smile

My favourites ones:
- Sokal
- Gilbert
- Blow
- Cecil
- Ince

My list was driven by storytelling talent.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

My favorites, from 1986 to 2016:

The great storyteller Brian Moriarty - Trinity, Wishbringer, and Loom
Tim Schafer - all his adventures except Broken Age
Jonas Kyratzes - all of his adventures and his blog
Poki, aka Jan Mueller-Michaelis - his Deponia series and of course Edna
and the latest one, Jonathan Blow - The Witness and his interesting views on games

Honorable mention: Bob Bates, Steve Meretzky, Jordan Mechner, Jane Jensen, Chris Jones aka Tex Murphy

EDIT: I forgot Jonas Kyratzes and he deserves to be in my top 5.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I’m not going to make a list of people whose games I like the best, because that would be boring. Instead I’m going to say the people I like best, who happen to develop games. People I’d like to hang out with.

Alasdair Beckett-King (The Fowl Fleet) - What a cool and funny guy. I love the fact he developed the Nelly Cootalot character around his girlfriend and dedicated it to her. He also looks like Jesus, and is a comedian.

Emily Short (Varicella) - A lovely lady who is really involved in the IF community. She posts reviews and lists of her favorite games, and writes books about IF.

Douglas Adams (Starship Titanic) - Obviously a talented and funny writer, but most of all I just respect despite being established in that field he was a pioneer in adventure games and willing to push their boundaries, instead of seeing them as children’s toys.

Mikael Nyqvist (Carol Reed series) - I love his cameos, his sense of humour, and most of all his massive wall of adventure games (play his games to find out how massive).  He’s also a really nice guy and always helpful and prompt when I’ve been in touch with him.

Chris Jones (Tex Murphy) - I just had to include him. Who could imagine the genre without him? His charisma and passion for adventure games shines through in all his acting and games.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

There are 2 that immediately come to mind - if I remember more I’ll reply.

I think Mark Crowe and Alone in the Dark creator Frederick Raynal are 2 of the most underrated and underappreciated devs ever.

With Mark Crowe, I enjoy his art style and appreciate the amount of work he put in during his time at Sierra.

IMO Raynal is a mad genius who should be put on the same pedestal the industry affords to Kojima and Ken Levine and Neil Druckmann.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Suda51 - Fsr,k7,Twilightsyndrome, Silvercase etc. - Most unique ,original and crazy writer in gaming
Rikasuzuki - Cing writer behind Glassrose,Anothercode and HotelDusk
Shu takumi - Phoenixwright and Ghost trick
Carles cecil - Gentleman ans wise
BSokal- His worlds and art, nuff said
Kotaro - Master of mind ****, completed his hatrick with ZTD
RagnarTornquist - His breadth of knowledge and fantastical worlds
Joseffares -little early but his next game will be special too
Ron gilbert - Proving tim that he has more juice left than him
David “jason” Cage - Creator of new genre and subverting AGs plus eeeimotionns
TTG - Twau and TftB were master writing
Schafer - Legend with great company but victim of past glory

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Don’t think it’s possible to choose just 5 devs, especially since they often work in groups. I can try listing some outstanding persons:

Ron Gilbert - Monkey Island 1-2, perfection as far as comedy writing and adventure design goes.
Jane Jensen - Gabriel Knights have some of the best serious (but thankfully not too serious) writing and best puzzles ever. Also King’s Quest 6 is among my Sierra favs.
Pierre Gilhodes and Muriel Tramis - “French Ken and Roberta Williams” who were never married. Can’t torn them apart as they usually worked together or in a very similar way. Actually both of them were behind the “Coktel Vision style”.
Charles Cecil - I love only one of his games - Broken Sword 1 - but that’s one huge love. He is a great director and a dedicated adventure fan who spent too much time experimenting. Also all of his games are top-class comedies.

Honorable mentions: Lori and Corey Cole (one can say they really love making games, but QfG4 is the only one I truly enjoy), Sara Stohl (she designed Zork: Grand Inquisitor! but unfortunately nothing else), Christy Marx (made Conquests of Camelot/Longbow and just left the industry), Alexis Lang (he is behind three best games by Kheops), Chris Jones, Brian Moriarty, Tim Schafer, Bob Bates and many more.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

1. Tim Schafer: TimOfLegend has to be my number one pick. Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, Broken Age: Warm memories and all great masterpieces in my books.

2. Charles Cecil: Long live the Revolution! Polite and wise English gentleman and definitely more than one good adventure game has been baked in Revolution`s ovens in 25 years Wink

3. Dave Gilbert: Ron Gilbert would be too obvious choice, so I decided to choose another great Gilbert. Wadjet Eye deserves all the credit and Blackwell saga is a true gemstone.

4. Jane Jensen: She`s the first lady of the adventure games: Great storyteller and writer. Please make Gray Matter 2 Smile

5. Ragnar Tornquist: The fifth place could go to Sokal, Jones, Crowe or some other talented and guys but I`m playing Dreamfall games right now, so my last vote goes to Tornquist. Great storytelling talent!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i totally agree with Oscar (also Doom & Ahenobarbus) direction of choosing cool/outstanding people instead of pointing out them only for their games, but again i guess it’s inevitable (anyway) in 2016 to separate celebrity of their charisma, attitude or personalities; makes me wonder if anyone would mention Nepal.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

In no particular order:

1) Scott Murphy & Mark Crowe
2) Ron Gilbert
3) Josh Mandel
4) Roberta Williams
5) Agustin Cordes

Bt

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

1. Ron Gilbert - the Lucasfilm/arts principles may be the best thing ever to happen to graphic adventure design.
2. Dave Gilbert - clever design and well-written characters.
3. Jonathan Gilbert Boakes - scary, atmospheric games with a great sense of place.
4. Jonas Gilbert Kyratzes - a unique voice and a creator of wonderfully detailed worlds.
5. Jane Gilbert Jensen - OK, her last couple of games haven’t been her best. But even Moebius tried out a new mechanic that could have been fascinating if it had been better handled.

(also I’d like to come to Oscar’s party too)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Phlebas - 06 July 2016 10:48 AM

4. Jonas Gilbert Kyratzes - a unique voice and a creator of wonderfully detailed worlds.

Damn! I forgot Jonas Kyratzes, one of my favorite designers. How is that possible…?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I’m picking 4 developers that have been around for a while, and have made games that had left a lasting impression on me.
Robyn and Rand Miller - without their games, I would not be here posting, since Riven got me hooked into adventure games.
Knut Mueller - the Rhem games are incredibly complex and satisfying to explore and play. Looking forward to the 5th instalment.
Chris Jones - love Tex Murphy, his familiar character is like visiting an old friend.
Jonathan Boakes - I still have the first self produced Dark Fall game. It spooked the hell out of me. I am so glad he is continuing to tell his stories through his games.

The 5th spot goes to Graham Ranson and Simon Pearce at Glitch games. Their Forever Lost series and A Short Tale game provided me with lots of puzzle adventuring fun on my iPad. They have a few more games in development, hopefully in time for my fall holidays.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

colpet - 08 July 2016 07:48 AM

Robyn and Rand Miller - without their games, I would not be here posting, since Riven got me hooked into adventure games.

how have i forgotten them Frown

here is a surprise to you for reminding
Robyn ‘s pre-released piece of music from Obduction

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Advie - 09 July 2016 11:02 AM
colpet - 08 July 2016 07:48 AM

how have i forgotten them Frown

here is a surprise to you for reminding
Robyn ‘s pre-released piece of music from Obduction

Thanks, Advie.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

My favorite developer was Woodruff from Simon the Sorcerer. I loved those games. I knew that they had another game almost done when someone bought them out and then developed Simon 3 (which was a bad choice, but, I still liked the game).  I just wish they would put out the game that they almost had finished. Simon the Sorcerer is my favorite game ever.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top