• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What first person game to play with girlfriend

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

I wanted to try a first person adventure with my girlfriend, who has not tried the genre yet.  She likes sci fi and she likes horror.  Would you suggest trying JULIA:among the stars, Scratches Director’s Cut, or Dark Fall 3:Lost Souls?  Why or why not?

I loved the original Tex games, so I considered Tesla Effect with her, but I read that it wasn’t challenging, so didn’t want it to be too easy for us.  Something right in the middle would work.

While I am here, I’d also love a good point and click to go with for both of us.  I’d prefer one that doesn’t have retro graphics, for her sake.  I personally care more for puzzles than story by far, so I’d prefer one in this style.  I was thinking maybe Stasis or Broken Sword 5. 

Also, where does Testament of Sherlock Holmes fit?  It is first person inventory?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Witness, the only game worked with my gfriend.
We solved puzzles together, since its mazes, casuals or nongamers can find it familiar.
Witness is scifi, too.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Tesla Effect might not be the hardest Tex game, but it is also not so easy that it plays itself and there are no challenges, and it is also an excellent game. So if you love the Tex series, then I think that is where you should start.

Edit: If you don’t mind the isometric view, then I can also highly recommend Stasis - a perfect mix of horror and sci-fi.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

darthmaul - 18 June 2016 05:26 PM

I wanted to try a first person adventure with my girlfriend, who has not tried the genre yet.  She likes sci fi and she likes horror.  Would you suggest trying JULIA:among the stars, Scratches Director’s Cut, or Dark Fall 3:Lost Souls?  Why or why not?

I liked JULIA best. Nice graphics too. Scratches is very creepy. My advice is to play The Lost Crown by the same developer instead of Dark Fall 3. Better, more interesting and longer.

I loved the original Tex games, so I considered Tesla Effect with her, but I read that it wasn’t challenging, so didn’t want it to be too easy for us.  Something right in the middle would work.

While I am here, I’d also love a good point and click to go with for both of us.  I’d prefer one that doesn’t have retro graphics, for her sake.  I personally care more for puzzles than story by far, so I’d prefer one in this style.  I was thinking maybe Stasis or Broken Sword 5.

I wouldn’t play BS5 or Tesla Effect with someone who hasn’t played any previous games in the series. They’re both real nice games though.

As much as I loved The Witness (recommended by nomadsoul), it doesn’t really belong in the adventure game category. It’s a puzzle game, pure and simple. Set in a beautiful, intriguing world, but no story to speak of.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 18 June 2016 06:19 PM

As much as I loved The Witness (recommended by nomadsoul), it doesn’t really belong in the adventure game category. It’s a puzzle game, pure and simple. Set in a beautiful, intriguing world, but no story to speak of.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/9/17/9343943/the-witness-hands-on-preview-feature-braid-jonathan-blow-interview-ps4-playstation-4-pc

Read whole of this good read Smile

Plus google “Adventure Myst Witness Jhon Blow” for hundred of articles calling it puzzle adventure. Its next gen Myst.

And i have read essays on Witness story, ofcourse takeaway is subjective to person in question.

Darthmaul, you can show trailers of recommendations here, and then let her pick out of the list.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

First person Horror/Sci-fi? SOMA will probably be a great choice.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

nomadsoul - 18 June 2016 06:45 PM

Plus google “Adventure Myst Witness Jhon Blow” for hundred of articles calling it puzzle adventure. Its next gen Myst.

And i have read essays on Witness story, ofcourse takeaway is subjective to person in question.

Nomadsoul, calling it a puzzle adventure or the next gen Myst doesn’t change anything. Myst has a real story, the Witness doesn’t.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

The Lost Crown is not in first person. You will not understand some parts of Dark Fall 3 when you haven’t played the first episode. IMHO the first episode is also much better than the two that came after that.
Another suggestion you could look into is Life is Strange. Not really horror but a fantastic tale, very well worked-out story, not too hard, which is important for a beginner, and beautiful graphics.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tsa - 19 June 2016 04:32 AM

The Lost Crown is not in first person.

Heh, I plain forgot. Probably because I like both 1st and 3rd person games.

You will not understand some parts of Dark Fall 3 when you haven’t played the first episode. IMHO the first episode is also much better than the two that came after that.

Yeah, I also liked the first one best.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Not an adventure game but I would recommend Bioshock Infinite if she loves sci-fi.
Has a great story and world. Girlfriend might enjoy watching it.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Danganronpa. Entertaining plot, lots of cool characters.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tsa - 19 June 2016 04:32 AM

The Lost Crown is not in first person. You will not understand some parts of Dark Fall 3 when you haven’t played the first episode. IMHO the first episode is also much better than the two that came after that.
Another suggestion you could look into is Life is Strange. Not really horror but a fantastic tale, very well worked-out story, not too hard, which is important for a beginner, and beautiful graphics.

Is Life is Strange really 1st person? I’m almost sure I remember it being 3rd person. I want to install it again now just to find out, otherwise it’ll drive me crazy.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Oscar - 19 June 2016 07:37 AM

Is Life is Strange really 1st person?

No, it isn’t.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Karlok - 18 June 2016 06:19 PM
darthmaul - 18 June 2016 05:26 PM

I liked JULIA best. Nice graphics too. Scratches is very creepy. My advice is to play The Lost Crown by the same developer instead of Dark Fall 3. Better, more interesting and longer.

I wouldn’t play BS5 or Tesla Effect with someone who hasn’t played any previous games in the series. They’re both real nice games though.

I’d use Lost Crown, but I’ve already played and beaten it myself!

I also don’t particularly care about stories for the first person game for us.  I consider the first person games to be primarily about puzzles!

Would you consider Stasis too easy?  I kind of got that vibe from the review.

For me, 1st person for puzzles.  Third person for mostly puzzles and story second.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i subscribed to the thread, promise, once i am hooked i will join in

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

darthmaul - 19 June 2016 10:45 AM

I’d use Lost Crown, but I’ve already played and beaten it myself!

I also don’t particularly care about stories for the first person game for us.  I consider the first person games to be primarily about puzzles!

Would you consider Stasis too easy?  I kind of got that vibe from the review.

I only played Stasis for 30 minutes or so. I liked it, will get back to it, but I’m in kind of a replay mode right now. Many people here loved Stasis.

For me, 1st person for puzzles.  Third person for mostly puzzles and story second.

Then you should play The Witness. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top