• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

games like detective crime novels

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I just finished reading “the burning room” by michael connelly, and was wondering what point&click; adventure games provide a similar sleuthing experience as a crime novel like this. Basically you are trying to solve a murder as a detective.
I guess i mean that the games plot must really make you feel like solving the case, rather than following a linear narrative.
Some games I had in mind are Blade Runner, Disc World Noir and the Gabriel Knight trilogy, but I was wondering if any other games are worthwhile checking out?

Thanks!

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

The Detail,Ethan Carter Redux,Aviary Attorney should suffice as outstanding titles but
there are lots of more less ordinary titles you may find ok like Holmes,Agatha Christie series,The Raven etc.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

How about LA Noire?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Have you tried Contradiction jaap? It’s FMV - the puzzling element doesn’t vary too much but it’s very much focused on a detective solving a crime.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Thanks for the tips!
I already own the detail, LA noire and contradiction, and I added Ethan carter and aviary attorny to my wish-list. Contradiction is one of my personal favorites BTW Wink
Next in line I guess will be the detail.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 16 June 2016 12:36 PM

Ethan Carter Redux,

other than being virtually awesome this game is worthless when it comes to gameplaying.

and since thread OP mentioned Blade Runner as a detective crime investigation, and i guess its close enough, Overclocked too and TMoS as well could fall under this type of investigation game playing style.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I think both Black Dahlia and The X-Files can be included.

Stupid puzzles and monetary situation notwithstanding then Mystery Of The Druids

The last 4 Tex games as well.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The Sherlock Holmes and Ace Attorney games are obvious recommendations (can’t believe that nobody has mention them yet). Crimes and Punishments and Dual Destinies are the best ones in respective series (although the Ace Attorney games are pretty even qualitywise).

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

I’d throw Face Noir into the ring for this, even though it does feel a bit linear, it nails the atmosphere pretty well.

I also remember some of the CSI games as actually being quite good for feeling as though you’re really piecing together clues to solve a crime.  I don’t really remember any of them in detail though.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

HotelDusk and Whiteknight

Total Posts: 136

Joined 2015-10-03

PM

Cognition, if you don’t mind the paranormal part
The wolf among us
The last express

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Deadline, Make It Good (if you’re up for a challenge)
and 1893: A World’s Fair Mystery

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Black Dahlia. But be prepared for some of the hardest puzzles ever encountered in an adventure game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Michael Connely…those are the stories with a supernatural twist right?

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Origami - 17 June 2016 12:18 AM

Michael Connely…those are the stories with a supernatural twist right?

That’s John Connolly. Michael Connelly writes about LAPD Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch and criminal defence attorney Mickey Haller.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jabod - 17 June 2016 06:58 AM

That’s John Connolly. Michael Connelly writes about LAPD Detective Hieronymus “Harry” Bosch and criminal defence attorney Mickey Haller.

Bosch? That the TV series with Titus Welliver? I’ve heard that series is very solid.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top