• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Single most important component in AGs for you

Poll: Most important component for you?
Total Votes: 45
Story/Narrative
Puzzles
Exploration
Npcs Conversations/Characters
Gamedesign
Other

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

There might be another topic here but poll is survey to check stats here, popular opinion.
Just single out most important.
Might as well explain the reason.

For me Exploration is most imp, rest can be less strong and i would still play.
Also exploration is something i enjoy most.
Be it without gamepay or much narrative.

Story is important but without exploration its halfbaked.
Thats why text based is meh for me mostly.

Examples are all walking simulators, Witness and Journey.
You dont need much words like Brothers or Machinarium either.
Just good art to explore and make story out of environmental details.

On PS4 communities most imp for gamers is Story and Narrative in all genres.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Before voting, what to you mean game design in the poll? I thought that was the integration of all the other elements.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Same here, I dont fully understand what you mean by gamedesign, but I have to go with Story/narrative here. I`m not the biggest Telltale fan anymore, but The Wolf Among Us is heck of a game and it`s all because of strong story and narrative, secondly because of interesting characters.

Usually good adventure needs all these different elements. I value highly ingenious puzzles and exploration, but I wont probably play or enjoy a game if it lacks an imaginative story/narrative. I agree with Nomadsoul that story is usually halfbaked without exploration but on the other hand I enjoyed a lot games like TWD and TWAU. So it`s possible to make a good adventure game without (or with limited) puzzles or exploration Wink I would only fool myself, if I say otherwise.

I could probably choose conversation/characters too because normally you need good characters/conversation to create interesting stories, but not always. Machinarium comes to mind first: no real conversations but quite powerful story nonetheless. I love puzzles, exploration, characters and all but story is the key.

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 14 May 2016 06:52 PM

Before voting, what to you mean game design in the poll? I thought that was the integration of all the other elements.

Like FMV games, Anothercode which exclusively use Hardware,  Majestic which is ARG,
Text AGs etc.

If someone values the format and gamesdesign ingenuity more than the content in it.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think sharp character design can carry an ag at some point
but well written script carries all the way.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t know what to choose. Exploration, narrative, and characters are all important to me. Puzzles are no longer very important. Well… that’s a bold statement, of course it depends on the game and the type of puzzles. But my preferences gradually shifted over the years.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Given the fact that I’m doing the puzzles special of the AGSOTD, then it is probably not a big surprise that I voted for puzzles Wink

I however also believe that both Story and Exploration is an important part of our genre. Puzzles, Story and Exploration are the three pillars that AG is based on, and if you remove one of them, what you end up with is simply not an adventure game.

Okay, Exploration has always been the weak part of AG’s, I personally love it and think it adds a lot to the games, but you can remove or at least reduce it, and still consider it an AG. But if you remove either the puzzles or the narrative the result simply won’t be an adventure game but instead a Visual Novel, Puzzler or Walking Simulator - and of those three I personally prefer puzzlers!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Most important component for you?

Hmmm…. Story>Puzzles>Characters>Exploration>GameDesign>Other?

Without A good story, I won’t be interested in the game.
Without clever puzzles, I won’t enjoy the game.
Without good characters it will be like Deponia, annoying.

Exploration… Well it’s an adventure game here, it should be going somewhere, it’s not an RPG where you have to wander all over the whole world.

Game design as in, Myst or Monkey Island? Well if the top 3 are good, it really doesn’t matter how the game is played.

Other? Graphics I guess. Long as it doesn’t look like it was made in paint, it’ll be fine.

I didn’t vote, because I can’t just pick one. You really need to get at least two out of three to make a good game.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I picked puzzles, but to me they should be coupled with interesting exploration and a decent story.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

my pick would be what i call problem solving. Its not just puzzles. Its not just writing. Its a combination of them that results in using logic to solve simulated problems. Problem solving is the quality of a game that shows how much a player is approaching a problem as if the character was an actual person in an actual world. I chose to interpret game design to be the closest to this meaning Tongue
An example of a game with weak problem solving: the witness, it has strong puzzles but a vast majority of the game is spent blundering around solving line puzzles that have no connection to solving game world problems. On the other side of the spectrum of a game thats a bad example is something like the wolf among us. It has more of the story integration that the witness lacks but you dont… do a whole lot in general. Youre still not really solving in a dynamic way.
An example of a game with strong problem solving: Gk1, you explore, collect items and converse with people all as a way of trying to resolve conflict while digesting the game world.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Story/Narrative for me. Makes or breaks an adventure game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I chose story/narrative too. Preferably there would be puzzles & exploration too but without the background of a plot just a puzzle/series of puzzles or an interactive environmental experience may grab me for a while but I think would make a game too insubstantial to maintain my interest in persevering with it.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I voted Story but I’m not separating story from characters, they are probably equally important.
Exploration is good but it’s much more important for me in an RPG. i do wish more adventure games had more exploration.
Puzzles are welcomed in some cases but not absolutely necessary for the enjoyment and in a lot of cases are just boring and uninspired.
And look at the Top100 adventure games list, how many of them are there because of their puzzles?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 15 May 2016 03:56 PM

And look at the Top100 adventure games list, how many of them are there because of their puzzles?

All of them, without a single exception!

Remove the puzzles from any of the top 100 games, even the most story heavy like TLJ, and they fade to a pale shadow of themselves and wouldn’t be worthy to be on a top 10000 list.
Sure, the same would be true if you removed the story, or any other part of them, but that is my whole point, neither part can stand alone.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 15 May 2016 04:19 PM

Remove the puzzles from any of the top 100 games, even the most story heavy like TLJ, and they fade to a pale shadow of themselves and wouldn’t be worthy to be on a top 10000 list.
Sure, the same would be true if you removed the story, or any other part of them, but that is my whole point, neither part can stand alone.

I agree that you can’t take the puzzles but what I’m saying is that what usually sets apart an adventure game is the story and characters. Or Grim Fandango or Longest Journey are there because of the puzzles? I don’t even remember most of them unless it’s something like the Witness.
I’m not saying that puzzles should be removed from adventures, they are an integral part of them and I like the challenge, just saying they are not the most important component at all in most cases (well, for me of course).

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 15 May 2016 04:19 PM

I can only conclude you haven’t played The Dark Eye.  Tongue

And puzzles in the Last Express…? Oh yeah, the bomb! Thank God for the bomb, or TLE would not be worthy to be in a top 1000 list.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top