• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Poisoned Pawn: A Tex Murphy Adventure gets a major update! 

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

FrasierCrane - 12 May 2016 06:58 PM

I just can’t let that stand as there is a hint: When you go there the first time Tex says something in the vain of “Looks like the mail is still delivered”. It’s a very light hint, sure, but the mail getting delivered later isn’t completly random.

But that’s exactly it; it’s not random. It gets triggered by a specific event that has no actual connection to it. That’s the issue. It’s not that the idea that mail might be there is random, but there’s no reason to go check it AT THAT MOMENT as opposed to any other. Nor is there even a hint that something you need may have been mailed.

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2013-03-13

PM

Frogacuda - 13 May 2016 03:16 PM
FrasierCrane - 12 May 2016 06:58 PM

I just can’t let that stand as there is a hint: When you go there the first time Tex says something in the vain of “Looks like the mail is still delivered”. It’s a very light hint, sure, but the mail getting delivered later isn’t completly random.

But that’s exactly it; it’s not random. It gets triggered by a specific event that has no actual connection to it. That’s the issue. It’s not that the idea that mail might be there is random, but there’s no reason to go check it AT THAT MOMENT as opposed to any other. Nor is there even a hint that something you need may have been mailed.

Ok, I thought it gets triggered by the beginning of a new day, which would make sense - checking the mail everyday. If it gets triggered by some random event during the day it’s a bad design choice.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Cubase - 12 May 2016 11:58 AM

For those of you who played Overseer (or perhaps any other Tex Game)—from your experience, what kind of components would you love to see re-worked / fixed to be more entertaining to a modern audience?

I played Overseer about a year ago after not playing it for the last 15 years, and the only thing that felt too dated and “too 90s” for me were some of the less fair and less logical puzzles (not all of them, just some).

I will post a more detailed list when I get a chance, but the puzzle that sticks out to be as being the worst was definitely the colored tone puzzle to open Bosworth Clark’s computer in his lab. To hear the correct tone, the player had to watch part of a cutscene where Clark entered the code. I always skipped that puzzle in the 90s, and only was able to solve it last year because I recorded the tone sounds from the cutscene with my phone, slowed them down to reflect the speed that they actually play while in the puzzle, and repeated that hundreds of times for an MP3 to play on my phone while trying to solve the puzzle. As a tone deaf adventure gamer, it still took me a few hours to figure out the correct sequence. Without the help of recording the audio and editing it for playback, I don’t think I would have solved this one on my own.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oh yeah, the tone puzzle. I’ve always hated those.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2014-05-13

PM

It’s been a long time since I last played overseer, but I do remember the floor/alarm puzzles at Gideon’s was a bit frustrating, maybe having the floor diagram as a fixed overlay at the top left of the screen could have make it a little easier.

In general there are a few puzzle that requires info from the inventory which is not always available or easy to access during the puzzle.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tomimt - 14 May 2016 01:32 AM

Oh yeah, the tone puzzle. I’ve always hated those.

Ditto.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Yes, the tone puzzle and the floor puzzle could be better. Like LoF said, having the floor plan sticked on the screen while you move would help a lot.

Total Posts: 90

Joined 2013-06-01

PM

Whoa, you guys are posting some GREAT feedback! Thanks for the responses so far.

Yes! That gallery puzzle was definitely obnoxious! We are exploring alternative ways around that puzzle, with a far more logical solution. There is also a laundry list of puzzles we also felt needed a bit of an overhaul. Hopefully now with Unity 5 (this having more freedom with the engine) we can integrate most puzzled into the environmental logic, rather than just having puzzles for the sake of having puzzles.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top