• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SefirVeovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blade Runner: The legend will never get a re-release

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Although there have been many requests from fans to have Blade Runner re-released via Steam or GOG.com, Louis Castle ( co-founder of Westwood Studios, and director and lead artist) stated that the original source code and assets were lost when Westwood moved its studio from Las Vegas to Los Angeles, thus making a re-release or a HD-remaster impossible. Even if the code was found, to restore almost a terabyte of assets, whether for new pre-rendered backdrops or full real-time 3D, would cost tens of millions of dollars, making a re-release as unlikely as a sequel.

Of paramount importance to the designers was that the story of the film be treated as sacrosanct - nothing the player can do in the game can ever alter, contradict or in any way run contrary to what happens in the film.

Designers wanted the game to feature a great deal of random elements, with the idea being that no two playthroughs would be the same, and no walkthrough would be able to cover every possible eventuality or every possible combination of random events. The game presents the player with fifteen suspects, but only two are always replicants . Which of the other thirteen characters is a replicant is randomized every time the player plays the game, and their behavior is different each playthrough based upon whether or not they are human.Due to the random nature of the game, the script swelled to 500 pages, and the quality assurance people had to play through the game 2,500 times to experience every possible variation.As Castle explains, the randomness of the plot leads to a myriad of gameplay possibilities and outcomes.

“The suspects may or may not be guilty, and they may or may not be human. If you retire a human, you lose - but not right away. If you retire a human, you suffer the consequences. That means once it’s discovered, the cops will be after you. If the cops are after you, and there is enough evidence, you will be shot or incarcerated, and the game is over. If they suspect you, but you’re able to weasel your way out of it, that’s part of the game as well.”

Because of how central to the plot randomness is, NPC behavior was not scripted. Instead, each NPC is assigned certain goals to accomplish based upon whether they are a replicant or a human. Howe they go about accomplishing these goals is handled by the AI system, and can change from game to game, as most of the goals have several possible methods of achievement. This aspect of the game the developers to liken Blade Runner to simulation games such as SimCity rather than traditional adventure games such as Myst.Castle explains “those agents are real, goal-oriented artificial intelligences. We don’t know what they’re going to do, exactly. We’ve given them behavior, we haven’t given them instructions. There’s a big difference between behavior-based AI and scripted instructions.”

Although the game sold extremely well, it cost a lot to make, and, as such, did not generate a great deal of profit. Virgin was interested in doing a sequel, but according to Louis Castle, “the mere fact it was four CDs made it a very expensive game. And the deal we had with the Blade Runner Partnership meant it was not terribly profitable.It didn’t do as well as you might think.” If a sequel went ahead, The Blade Runner Partnership wanted a larger cut of the revenue, and both Westwood and Virgin concluded the cost of producing a game to top the original, plus the deal the BR Partnership wanted, made the possibility of doing a sequel economically untenable - it would have to sell several million units to generate what would be considered an acceptable profit for the company. As such, the sequel was never made.In 2009, The Blade Runner Partnership offered Gearbox Software the rights to the franchise, but production costs were estimated at $35m, and the project was scrapped.The Blade Runner Partnership and Electronic Arts currently own the rights to the game.

Now 20th anniversary is approaching only hope a new adventure due to untitled BR sequel movie.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

If you’re going to copy and paste half the wikipedia page (why???), you might as well give the link.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

What’s with the pseudoacademics,why questioning retrieving from articles that’s the way how wikipedia pages been written.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Stuff about link deleted.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well, nothing new here for me, but thanks Gabe anyways, for reminding us of this great gem of all the history of adventure gaming.

i like to mention that this game is playable with the old Virgin 4CDs release on any modern computer, by using the installer provided at the sierrahelp page.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Never played it.  Embarassed

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’ve played it several times, one of the very best adventure games I’ve ever played. Luckily, used copies of the game are easily found, another Bladerunner adventure would be nice, but I’m happy with the one we got.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Blade Runner will always be on the top 5 of my all time best adventure games. I re-played it recently at it still holds up better than most games done in the 90’s. Its design is actually very modern in many ways, not the least beacause of all the paths you take lead into some sort of ending with different people dead and saved.

My longer taken about it: http://playernone.blogspot.fi/2015/11/great-games-blade-runner.html

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Great game. Really complimentary to the movie. Heard some people thought the game was even better than the movie. The gamespot rating for this game to this day still strike me as one of the biggest mysteries.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

tomimt - 21 March 2016 01:42 PM

Its design is actually very modern in many ways, not the least beacause of all the paths you take lead into some sort of ending with different people dead and saved.

I played though it twice, several years ago. My only quibble was that there didn’t seem to be much connection between your actions and the outcome. The first time, I played it “cruel but fair”, trying to capture every replicant I could find but never breaking the rules to do so. Result: At the end of the game, I eloped with one.

The second time, I went out of my way to save every replicant I could. Result: They all hated me, and my dog, and the game ended in a shoot-out.

At least, that’s how I remember it. As I said, it’s been years. I also do remember thinking it was one of the best looking (and sounding) adventure games that I had ever played at the time.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Unless I’m missing something, to simply re-release the existing game on GOG does not necessarily require the original source code or the working files for the assets. As long as the executables can be made to work on modern Windows machines (which some Internet searching indicates they can, at least for now), then a re-release should just require the executables and data files from the CD-ROMs, some patches, and a new installer written by GOG.

I checked the video interview that Wikipedia cites, and while the interviewer asks about a GOG re-release, I think some of Louis Castle’s reply may have to do with switching to hardware rendering, giving the game a graphical upgrade, or re-compiling it as a native application for modern Windows, rather than just a basic re-release of the “Does it still work with a little patching? OK, ship it” variety.

Getting the rights for a re-release from the Blade Runner Partnership and Electronic Arts is likely the biggest hurdle that would need to be overcome for GOG to sell the game.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

eriktorbjorn - 21 March 2016 07:23 PM

I played though it twice, several years ago. My only quibble was that there didn’t seem to be much connection between your actions and the outcome. The first time, I played it “cruel but fair”, trying to capture every replicant I could find but never breaking the rules to do so. Result: At the end of the game, I eloped with one.

Well it has 12 different endings, all based on who’s replicant and who’s not as well as whom you find, kill or let go. The changes are not as much tied on the basic game puzzles and flow, but who’s randomly chosen to be a replicant (a design trick that happens every time you start a new game)

The endings themselves can take place either in the Moonbus or in a car McCoy uses to escape.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 22 March 2016 04:08 AM

The changes are not as much tied on the basic game puzzles and flow, but who’s randomly chosen to be a replicant (a design trick that happens every time you start a new game)

The endings themselves can take place either in the Moonbus or in a car McCoy uses to escape.

what exactly you meant by this ‘design trick’?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

tomimt - 22 March 2016 04:08 AM
eriktorbjorn - 21 March 2016 07:23 PM

Well it has 12 different endings, all based on who’s replicant and who’s not as well as whom you find, kill or let go. The changes are not as much tied on the basic game puzzles and flow, but who’s randomly chosen to be a replicant (a design trick that happens every time you start a new game)

Sounds a bit like a game of Cluedo to me. I don’t really like random elements, but I could get behind the idea of a game having multiple paths with every game being different the moment you start it up.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 23 March 2016 06:35 AM

but I could get behind the idea of a game having multiple paths with every game being different the moment you start it up.

That’s exactly how it works. As far I know Clovis, the replicant leader, is the only one who’s always a replicant of the main cast. Everyone else can be either a human or replicant.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt, i am talking to you

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top