• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Wolf Among Us worth playing?

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

The reviews indicate a pretty uneven experience.  Looking for something to enjoy with my SO, who enjoys Fables.  Thoughts?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think the game is better than the comic, the art style, sounds and atmosphere is just right.

There isn’t much to play, but since the chapters are short and the experience is very movie-like, I think TWAU is actually a really good adventure to be played together with someone.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

If you like the idea of watching a fables cartoon then you will like this.
Its also a good game to play with someone else, because its mostly watching and making some simple decisions.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

darthmaul - 03 March 2016 03:57 PM

The reviews indicate a pretty uneven experience.  Looking for something to enjoy with my SO, who enjoys Fables.  Thoughts?

Definitely, it is a great game even if you don’t like Fables. I would highly recommend it.

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I haven`t read the cartoon, but TWAU was awesome game. Not so much gameplay but great story, music and atmosphere!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Why not simply watch a youtube playthrough instead?!?

It is really more of a movie than a game to begin with, and you don’t have to mash those godawful QTE buttons Sick yourself!

Normally I wouldn’t recommend watching a playthrough instead of playing a game yourself, and I haven’t actually done it myself, but it just struck me that it might actually be the ideal way to enjoy something like TWAU. You get to experience all the good parts, the story and the graphics, while skipping everything that is bad about it, which is everything else.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Iznogood - 03 March 2016 06:01 PM

It is really more of a movie than a game to begin with, and you don’t have to mash those godawful QTE buttons Sick yourself!

Normally I wouldn’t recommend watching a playthrough instead of playing a game yourself, and I haven’t actually done it myself, but it just struck me that it might actually be the ideal way to enjoy something like TWAU. You get to experience all the good parts, the story and the graphics, while skipping everything that is bad about it, which is everything else.

But you don’t get to make your own choices, which is half the point of the game. (Also, I didn’t think the QTEs were that bad, but YMMV obviously.)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The reviews were not uneven, they were very positive. It’s a no brainer, play the game, specially with someone that enjoys the comics. Unless you really really hate the Telltale style, (like iznogood above Smile ), but you probably know how the game plays by now.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 03 March 2016 06:26 PM

Unless you really really hate the Telltale style, (like iznogood above Smile ),

Iznogood Izsogood at this point!

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 March 2016 06:24 PM
Iznogood - 03 March 2016 06:01 PM

But you don’t get to make your own choices, which is half the point of the game. (Also, I didn’t think the QTEs were that bad, but YMMV obviously.)

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with watching a youtube playthrough for 5-10 minutes to see whether it’s a game you would like. I’ve done that once or twice. But watching a playthrough (a movie made for you) and playing a game are not to be compared. Even in what is called a “walking simulator”, like Dear Esther, the player constantly makes choices: looking around, up, down, standing still and listening, spotting objects, exploring, taking a new route, turning back, and usually missing many things too. You are in the game world. You are the actor. No two playthroughs are the same. The difference between watching and doing is immense. I find it more than a little strange that an adventuregamer would actually recommend others to watch instead of play games. 

PS: TWAU is a fantastic game with beautiful graphics, top notch voice acting, great music, replay value, and a gripping story. The QTEs are easy.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 03 March 2016 06:24 PM

A fair point, but given the fact that your choices only have a small impact on the story, then it might be something worth sacrificing.

Karlok - 03 March 2016 07:22 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with watching a youtube playthrough for 5-10 minutes to see whether it’s a game you would like. I’ve done that once or twice. But watching a playthrough (a movie made for you) and playing a game are not to be compared. Even in what is called a “walking simulator”, like Dear Esther, the player constantly makes choices: looking around, up, down, standing still and listening, spotting objects, exploring, taking a new route, turning back, and usually missing many things too. You are in the game world. You are the actor. No two playthroughs are the same. The difference between watching and doing is immense. I find it more than a little strange that an adventuregamer would actually recommend others to watch instead of play games.

But we are not talking about Dear Esther here, and all those elements like exploring etc. that you are praising, are more or less completely absent from TWAU. Your experience might have been different, but for me it at least 90% of the time felt exactly like I was watching a movie (interrupted by terribad QTE), and not like playing a game where I was in control of the protagonist.

Anyway I’m really more asking an open question here than making any recommendations.
If a “game” is more like a movie than an actual game, why not take the full consequence and actually experience it like it was a movie?

I think I might actually find a playthrough of Tales from the Borderlands and watch it myself, just to test how well they actually work as movies.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 04 March 2016 12:00 AM

A fair point, but given the fact that your choices only have a small impact on the story, then it might be something worth sacrificing.

Define “small”. Would you call the impact of the player’s choices in the Pandora Directive “small”? Good/bad Tex makes the difference between life and death. Conversations will take a different turn. Same thing goes for Bigby. And TWAU also makes the player choose between two or even three locations to visit first: your experience at each location will depend on your choice. You can only visit two locations out of three, so it’s entirely possible that you will not meet certain people eye to eye in the game.

But we are not talking about Dear Esther here,

I’ll repeat my point: EVEN in Dear Esther. Meaning that, unlike TWAU, the player has NO impact whatsoever on the story in Dear Esther, and yet there’s a world of difference between watching a youtube playthrough and playing DE yourself.

and all those elements like exploring etc. that you are praising, are more or less completely absent from TWAU.

More or less completely… Smile
Nonsense. All those elements (and more!) are there: you’re in control of Bigby, you’re walking around, clicking on objects, investigating areas, etcetera. TWAU is a linear game on wheels, just like DE, and has dialogue options instead of puzzles. If you hate that, fine. I don’t have an argument with someone else’s preferences. But telling other people they could just as well watch the game on youtube where they would miss the fun of making the many, many choices, is really going too far. And I won’t let you get away with that. It’s the only reason I’m replying to your post, because arguing with you is as useless as ever.

If a “game” is more like a movie than an actual game, why not take the full consequence and actually experience it like it was a movie?

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I would very much recommend Wolf Among Us. It’s among the best things Telltale has done.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I simply loved this game. Played it several times. Yes, the gameplay is pretty basic but what you do does change the plot of the game.

Indeed, one of the best TTG efforts.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

wilco - 03 March 2016 06:26 PM

The reviews were not uneven, they were very positive. It’s a no brainer, play the game, specially with someone that enjoys the comics. Unless you really really hate the Telltale style, (like iznogood above Smile ), but you probably know how the game plays by now.

By uneven, I meant that the reviews on this site showed uneven quality.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I still dont really know what you mean by uneven. The episodes are consistent enough.
Possibly i would feel differently if i had waited months for an episode and then had to wait months more for another but playing them all together was fine.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top