• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Where have all the many-locations-at-once gone?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Or even screens. Seriously, I’m playing The ABC Murders at the moment, and even though it’s no all bad, you can hardly (apart from one point in the game) visit more than 1 or 2-at most screens at a given time.

This was a joke posted about FPS “evolution”, but I fear the similar trend could be found in the adventure genre, where something like this:

is being gradually overshadowed by Screen (Location) 1 => Screen 2 => Screen 3…

OK, so the evolution of gaming is a complicated matter, and what was sometime considered “normal” (like the text input) is now an antique, but I think this has gone too far. I’m not asking for “100 locations at once”, but people, please, do some design and “sense of freedom” research, make the best balance between number of locations/keeping player’s attention - I’m not saying “one room/location at a time” can not work, but I fear it’s becoming the prevalent choice NOT because it necessarily makes for a better game, but because it’s the easiest and safest route to take.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

For me there has always been a battle between these two styles, and iv never preferred the one-room-at-a-time approach. Lets take grim fandango for example. The 2nd chapter was a marvelous example of dynamic exploration with many locations. But a high % of the rest of the game was one-room-at-a-time and just not as good as that 2nd chapter. I do think its now part of the trend of modern games which strip everything down in favor of “story games”.. however.. if you look at all the best adventures of the last year:
technobabylon
broken age
fran bow
book of unwritten tales 2
life is strange
annas quest
dead synchronicity

Every single one of these use a very high amount of dynamic exploration with many rooms to explore at once. I dont see this type of exploration as an endangered species.. even if the bigger names like telltale dont care for it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Yeah this has also bothered me for some time, or rather it did until about a year ago Wink

I think the simple explanation is that it is easier to tell a story, if you have full control over what order the player experiences everything in. And I would like to emphasize that it is only easier, but not necessarily better.

This was however a much bigger problem a couple of years ago IMO, where almost every single game was completely linear, whereas today it looks like the pendulum has begun swinging in the opposite direction, and it is becoming more and more common with more non-linear games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

This is nothing new. (Good grief, is he going to be droning on about old design stuff again?) It was already a problem a quarter of a century ago (If he brings up the Ron Gilbert thing again, I swear I’ll scream), as evidenced by Ron Gilbert discussing it (Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.) back then:

A lot of story games employ a technique that can best be described as caging the player.  This occurs when the player is required to solve a small set of puzzles in order to advance to the next section of the game, at which point she is presented with another small set of puzzles.  Once these puzzles are solved, in a seemingly endless series of cages, the player enters the next section.  This can be particularly frustrating if the player is unable to solve a particular puzzle.  The areas to explore tend to be small, so the only activity is walking around trying to find the one solution out.

Try to imagine this type of puzzle as a cage the player is caught in, and the only way out is to find the key.  Once the key is found, the player finds herself in another cage.  A better way to approach designing this is to think of the player as outside the cages, and the puzzles as locked up within.  In this model, the player has a lot more options about what to do next.  She can select from a wide variety of cages to open.  If the solution to one puzzle stumps her, she can go on to another, thus increasing the amount of useful activity going on.

This is a difficult problem. The caging is frustrating, and reduces puzzle difficulty by reducing the number of options—while being awful when you get stuck on one puzzle and can’t do anything else. But the exact opposite if hardly better: if you have total freedom and non-linearity (King’s Quest I, Day of the Tentacle, Act 2 of Monkey Island 2, Leisure Suit Larry 6-7…), then you kill your plot. You can have little discrete bits of story here and there, but your overarching plot is necessarily at a complete standstill.

The usually-suggested alternative is the “string of pearls” design: you have a medium-sized pearl of non-linearity, then everything converges (which allows the story to progress) and you move on to another pearl. This is best exemplified by games structured in days (Gabriel Knight, Tex Murphy…) or chapters (King’s Quest VII, Books of Unwritten Tales…). But this has to be done carefully: it works in Broken Sword 1, but in Broken Sword 2 the “pearls” are so small (hardly ever more than 2 screens) that you’re back to the cages.*

Personally, I’m particularly fond of the “oil-spill” structure of, e.g., Beneath a Steel Sky and Hadean Lands: You start in a small environment, but the world keeps expanding and you have to return to old locations to solve puzzles that you couldn’t solve originally. That allows for enough linearity to tell a story, is never overwhelming because the world grows in size slowly, while allowing for a lot of freedom. I wish more games followed this model.

Anyway, with games having more story-telling pretensions than before, the caging model tends to show up a lot, but I’d hardly call it dominant. Anecdotally, if I look at the recent games I’ve played:

Memoria and Chains of Satinav are mostly string-of-pearls, sometimes veering towards caging.
Aviary Attorney is pure string-of-pearls.
Cognition is mostly strings-of-pearls (except episode 4, which is pure caging).
Prominence is oil-spill (yay!).
The Room 3 is blends oil-spill and string-of-pearls.
Dreamfall Chapters is mostly string-of-pearls.
Life Is Strange is caging. The Telltale games even more so.
King’s Quest 2015 ep. 1 is mostly oil-spill.
Forever Lost is oil-spill.
Technobabylon wants to be string-of-pearls but is too often caging.
Broken Age is string-of-pearls in act 1 and mostly total freedom in act 2.
Book of Unwritten Tales 2 is string-of-pearls.
JULIA is mostly string-of-pearls.

So it’s definitely a problem that exists, and the way some games want to do string-of-pearls but the “pearls” are so small that they end up doing cages is worrying. Still, there are plenty of games that do things right. Maybe you’re just not playing the right ones. Tongue

* People sometimes ask why BS2 is less highly regarded than BS1: well, there’s your answer.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

- No one design philosophy is better or worse for storytelling, just that linearity is probably more easy. That’s why a lot of times RPGs struggle in that department, but a good team can always make it work (Obsidian, CDProjekt)
- Dropsy and The Witness, some of the most open games recently released (at least, I think they are)

@Kurufinwe
- What games was Ron Gilbert talking about in 1989 with that problem? Weren’t most games open at the time (namely Sierra adventures)?
- string-of-pearls and caging can be very tricky to differentiate. Why do you call Room 3 a string-of-pearls. That series is all about caging, it doesn’t really get frustrating but it’s all about solving a room before moving on even if the player comes with a new piece to the central room.
- The problem might that now games tend to have small pearls even if they do give a some rooms to explore, the line to caging is often crossed.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

wilco - 15 February 2016 12:22 PM

- What games was Ron Gilbert talking about in 1989 with that problem? Weren’t most games open at the time (namely Sierra adventures)?

I’m not sure. His own Indy 3 would definitely fit the bill, as would Loom. At Sierra, you have the first 2 Space Quest games, which are horribly linear. I doubt Gilbert ever played it, but Delphine Software’s mediocre Future Wars also follows the “series of cages” model.

And then you have all the text adventures, which I’m very unfamiliar with. I think The Wizard and the Princess was really linear (but I’ve only played it once and mostly forgotten about it). The very first adventure game I ever played (with my parents), which was a French illustrated text adventure called Orphée (and which is the single worst adventure game I’ve ever played), was also a series of cages; obviously, Gilbert wasn’t referring to that game, but I think it shows that it’s a school of design that existed in text adventure games in the 80s.

- string-of-pearls and caging can be very tricky to differentiate. Why do you call Room 3 a string-of-pearls. That series is all about caging, it doesn’t really get frustrating but it’s all about solving a room before moving on even if the player comes with a new piece to the central room.

You can solve certain rooms in any order. And in a given room, there are a few tasks to accomplish which you can do in whatever order you want. I mean, it’s definitely more linear than Monkey Island, but I definitely remember moving back and forth between the various parts of the house while solving the puzzles, rather than moving from one cage to the next.

- The problem might that now games tend to have small pearls even if they do give a some rooms to explore, the line to caging is often crossed.

Yup. Designers know in theory that they should do string-of-pearls, but in practice they’re not really doing that. (cf. certain chapters of Memoria…) Then again, BS2 suffered from the same problem 20 years ago, as did Kyrandia 2 and many others…

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-06-29

PM

wilco - 15 February 2016 12:22 PM

- Dropsy and The Witness, some of the most open games recently released (at least, I think they are)

Yeah, I think as far as traditional adventures go, Dropsy’s world is possibly the open-est?

Though the Adventure Gamers reviewer didn’t quite agree, almost everyone else who has played and reviewed it counted the openness as a major plus. It doesn’t have to be a problem if you design around it. We used map markers for the critical path and a fast travel clown car (that you can use at any time after finding it by clicking the map, *cough cough*) to ease the pain.

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

I always thought the main reason for limiting the number of available options was to simplify the gameplay. The fundamental problem with classical AGs has always been that if you’re stuck, you’re stuck. You cannot try a different tactic, you cannot level up and come back later, you can just do a brute-force search through available actions. So if you’re reduced to trial and error, you can at least do it quicker if you have only a few items in the inventory and don’t have to move across many locations.

Today I simply wouldn’t be willing to spend so much time and effort on something like Monkey Island 2. In lots of places it wasn’t obvious what you were supposed to do and whether or not you had everything you needed to do it, and having several islands to move between didn’t help things. Ron Gilbert described his view here: “You’re going to get stuck. You’re going to be frustrated.” Personally I’m not over-excited about that.

A related problem is that it’s hard to fine-tune the difficulty to make the gameplay appealing to the majority of the players. One player will say that The Order of the Thorne is too easy, another player will keep getting stuck. Incidentally, it’s surprising how influential the Quest for Glory series turned out to be. Maybe its recipe for success was making the puzzles easier and making the exploration more interesting.

Roberta Williams said in an interview in 1999 that the demographics of the AG audience had changed. I guess I agree with it in the sense that the demands and expectations of the modern gaming community are different.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i think it had always been for the sake of that claimed frustration through adventure games, whether by reviewers or gamers (some).

You eliminate dead-ends, then deaths, then pixel hunting, then they would still complain about how difficult yet with too many locations at once to determine your next move, so devs go for escaping the room style of play, until they reached a point where they could eliminate puzzles for the sake of the story, as many reviewers and and gamers always claimed the importance of it over puzzles/gameplay; we have only got ourselves to blame!

This whole thing took a wild drift since 2005, with no hardcore company in the way leading the genre, many devs came forward experimenting and changing the taste for a whole decade.

With reservation of the new KQ QTE; the game set new standard for non-linearity, and with this open world gameplaying and keeping the fairy tales elements of RW right up and ahead, makes me happy that most of my fear toward the project went wrong (most), i really love to see what Activision(Sierra) would offer to the genre within the next few years, fingers crossed .

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Non-linear game design doesn’t fit for every game though. It very much depens on what the developer is trying to do. Older adventure games, which are following more closely the original Adventure from the 1970’s, work as non-linear, as in the end they’re nothing but treasure hunts with a couple of puzzles thrown in. When there’s no strong narrative that kind of a game play can work nicely.

It works well on something like Talos Principle as well, as that one can be played as a straigh environmental puzzler with no real attention towards the story of the game.

If you want to give more emphasis on the story, then non-linearity can becoeme an obstacle, as the writers need to come up more stuff for the sake of if the player is doing things in different order.

But then again, if you have the reins way too tight, then the end experience becomes way too restricitve. There’s a happy middle road on that as well.

But in the end, there’s good games with all kinds of design out there. It’s not the question of if game is open or linear, it’s the question of how the game works and if the people designing it know what they’re doing.

It’s like the current craze of every AAA studio doing their own open world action adventures, that has resulted into a load of games that are frnakly just pretty mediocre exercises in trophy collecting.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I don’t really buy the whole premise that it depends on what kind of story you are telling. It only depends on how you chose to tell that story, and there is always more than one way to tell the same story.

Sure, if you want to tell or show a story like in a book or movie, then the game needs to be very linear, but that is IMO also the absolutely wrong way to tell a story in a game. In a game the story needs to be something that the player can discover or explore for themselves and not something that is told to them, otherwise you might just as well read a book or watch a movie instead.

Of course a completely open-world or sandbox game makes it almost impossible to have any coherent narrative, but there are plenty of fairly open-world games that still has an excellent narrative and are very story-heavy. So it is certainly possible to have a game that focuses on the story while at the same time being fairly non-linear or open-world-ish, it might just be a little more difficult to achieve.

I also recall that there was a game a couple of years ago, where the developers hired some Hollywood scriptwriters to revise their script, to make the whole feeling of the game more cinematic. As you can imagine the result wasn’t really very good, but more importantly, the first thing I thought when I heard about it was: WHY??? .. Why on earth do you want your game to be more cinematic, games needs to be better games and not more like watching a movie.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yeah i should emphasize.. i know for me at least im not talking about sprawling non-linear environments VS structured exploration… im talking about games that stick you in one room and say “solve whats in front of you” and do that over and over. Ill be happy as long as games are sending me back and forth with several+ Locations to think about.. and thats disappearing from “the mainstream.” Plenty of devs still doing a good job though.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 15 February 2016 11:41 AM

Maybe you’re just not playing the right ones. Tongue

Hehe… yeah, this thread already gave me a few ideas (Dead Synchronicity, Prominence…) that could be new but still with a certain level of “freedom”. I like the “string of pearls” formulation Thumbs Up, and obviously, by that lingo the problem is that pearls are getting smaller and smaller: Monkey Island 2 has a GIANT pearl in the form of Scabb Island right at the beginning, so big that it’s almost a total freedom, and it doesn’t bother you that you can’t travel between islands at that point.

Great thoughts, everyone! Thumbs Up There’re some further things I want to discuss, but right now I’ll go back to Memoria, and see just how big there pearls are. Yum

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Interesting subject, but I think being too radical about it isn’t the way to go Smile I get the dislike of feeling caged, but here and there it’s justified - e.g. intentionally limiting the player’s mobility to get them accustomed to the game’s basic concepts.

Plus, and Monkey Island did this brilliantly, when the game opens up after being caged for a while, there’s a great sense of infinite possibility and exploration that probably wouldn’t be there had you not been limited to a few screens for a while. Just like that feeling when you break out of prison. Not that I’d know anything about that, hold on while I dodge this searchlight-

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2008-06-24

PM

Discworld 2 did open style with a story brilliantly.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

diego - 17 February 2016 01:27 PM

right now I’ll go back to Memoria, and see just how big there pearls are. Yum

Well, for what it’s worth after first few screens, even though you’re “caged” - the gameplay does not suffer from the feeling that you’re handholded - I guess it’s because of number of hotspots. So, yeah, number of hotspots is another very important element, which combines, or possible negates lack of “many locations at once” for a sense of freedom, challenge and rich interaction.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top