• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

seagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Detective Pikachu

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

If Aviary Attorney left you wondering how well an investigation game might work in the Pokemon world, you might find out sooner than you think. Introducing Detective Pikachu, a detective game that seems to be inspired by film noir and Sherlock Holmes and stars a talking Pikachu.
[trailer link]
[trailer analysis courtesy of IGN]
The Japanese version appears to be coming out for 3DS very soon (February 3rd). I haven’t seen any word on an English version yet, but since they’ve translated pretty much every Pokemon spinoff game so far chances seem pretty good.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Oh yeah, the name pokemon is on it so we probably get it. I hope it isnt awful because ill probably try it.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Already got it pre-loaded on my 3DS. No idea what kind of game it’s gonna be, but Nintendo’s crazy-looking games that are released suddenly are usually a lot of fun, so excited!

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Gematsu has some more info, translated from the official site. Some pretty promising stuff. The only thing that bothers me is that I hope they don’t put too much emphasis on the human sidekick character.

Tantei KID - 28 January 2016 01:49 PM

Already got it pre-loaded on my 3DS. No idea what kind of game it’s gonna be, but Nintendo’s crazy-looking games that are released suddenly are usually a lot of fun, so excited!

Ooh. Do let us know what it’s like when you’ve played it for a while.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Could be something… different

Danny deVito as Pikachu (Who thinks of these things? Smile )

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

It’s out now. I only played a little (will try to find more time later in the day), but it looks like a very cute mystery adventure perfect for kids. Together with your sidekick Pikachu (or are you the sidekick?), you go around town solving ‘crimes’. The very first part has you gather testimony (both from humans as well as Pokemon) and evidence to “deduce” where a stealing Pokemon went. It’s very easy stuff though, but I kinda like it.

There are also some QTE’s, but they’re very easy (press “A” at the right time, similar to music games).

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished the game. Overall, it’s a fun game, but it’s quite short (and ends with ‘to be conitnued’, so it’s not the whole story). Especially considering the price-tag, I had expected a bit more.

As for the game: You play young Tim who is new to town to find out about his detective father who disappeared during an investigation. Tim runs in Pikachu, who was Tim’s father patner. Tim is the only person who can understand Pikachu (and Tim can’t understand any other Pokemon). Together they search for Tim’s father.

As a mystery adventure, it’s fairly orthodox. You come across a mystery, it’s recorded in your notebook (=puzzle to be solved). Mysteries are solved by gathering evidence, be it physical evidence, or testimony. When you have everything, Pikachu will prompt you to solve the mystery, which you do by answering questions with your evidence. The game is aimed at kids though, so it’s really easy. That said, there were some neat little things like incorporating Pokemon and their abilities in the mysteries. There’s little freedom though; as you follow the story, you’re usually put in a ‘confined space’ (consiting of a couple of rooms) where you solve a couple of mysteries and then move again to the next stage in the story.

The presentation is top-notch. It has the look of a Disney CG-film, and the (Japanese) voice acting is great. Pikachu in particular is fantastic and the way he’s animated is also very impressive. Gameplay resembles Another Code R or Twilight Syndrome, in the sense that the stages are designed (mostly) as planes, with you walking left to right (and vice versa).

Overall, I think is a really charming game and perfect for the younger gamers. It’s just a little too short IMHO considering the 1500Y price tag(1200Y in February).

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Detective Pikachu is getting a worldwide release, at the time the second episode is released in Japan.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-01-12-detective-pikachu-gets-worldwide-release-and-a-huge-amiibo

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Another trailer just came out:

While I like that it’s coming soon now and had considered picking it up if only for a bit of fun and supporting the concept, I’ve also shelved my 3DS by now to focus on the Switch. I’m not sure if I’ll dig it up again for this one game or wait to see if there’s a Switch port down the road.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

https://nerdist.com/detective-pikachu-voice-clip-weird/

That Pickachu voice is just a tad creepy and weird.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Just when you thought the game was weird…. Deadpool voices Pickachu

LOL

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top