• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiegrizzlypantsseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1988 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: Best adventure of 1988
Total Votes: 31
Zak McKracken
Police Quest 2
Mortville Manor
Zork Zero
Gold Rush
20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
Manhunter: New York
Circuit’s Edge
Leisure Suit Larry 2
King’s Quest IV
The Scoop
Something else not on the list

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Onwards (and backwards!)

Not a strong year for me, with Infocom on the decline. KQIV and PQ2 weren’t among my favorite Sierra but are probably the strongest two on the list. Circuit’s Edge and The Scoop were also quite good.

Other candidates:
Corruption
Lancelot
Dr. Dumont’s Wild P.A.R.T. I
Dream Zone
Journey: The Quest Begins
Psycho
The President is Missing
Princess Tomato in The Salad Kingdom  
Jinxter
Murder on the Atlantic
Lane Mastodon vs. The Blubberman
Star Trek: First Contact
Ingrid’s Back!
Sherlock
LA Crackdown  
Zork Quest 2

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I only played KQIV, not my favorite from the series but good. I’m very interested in playing The Scoop and Manhunter someday

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2012-07-09

PM

The year I started playing adventure games. I voted for Zak Mc Kracken and the Aliens Mindbenders but I also liked Mortville Manor, Scoop, Larry 2 and the games by Magnetic Scrolls (apart from Jinxter and Corruption, there is a third one from 1988 not listed in “other candidates”: Fish!).
Captain Blood was released this year. It is not a conventional adventure but maybe it should be in the list too.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Pretty easy pick for me, KQ4. I think I’ve said it before, but it is my favourite in the series. Had KQ4 not been released that yer, it would have been either Police Quest 2, which I think is the best in that series, or Zak McKracken.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I voted for Police Quest 2. It was the most solid offering, imo.

Zak McKracken was pretty good, too, but the money management made it drag, and there were a few too many illogical mazes.

LSL2 was great, but it still infuriates me as the worst dead end I’ve ever encountered. I missed the shorts at the bottom of the pool on the cruise ship. I was stuck on the island afterwards without them for my disguise. I used rolling save games back then, and my oldest one was from AFTER the cruise ship. I didn’t have the heart to start the game all over again…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

TimovieMan - 26 January 2016 11:23 AM

LSL2 was great, but it still infuriates me as the worst dead end I’ve ever encountered. I missed the shorts at the bottom of the pool on the cruise ship. I was stuck on the island afterwards without them for my disguise. I used rolling save games back then, and my oldest one was from AFTER the cruise ship. I didn’t have the heart to start the game all over again…

I feel you man, if you didn’t have a structured series of saved games you would be screwed. Especially frustrating as there was no hint that you had to dive when in the pool? But if you had played many Sierra games by that time you would probably be aware of the annoying deaths and how to avoid getting stuck by saving like an idiot savant every 2 seconds.

Having said that, LSL2 is possibly my favourite Sierra adventure EVER and holds a very dear place in my heart. Internet was non existent obviously back then, so the only way to progress was trial and error, games mags, bulltein boards and talking to other people who had played the game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Burge - 27 January 2016 10:11 PM

But if you had played many Sierra games by that time you would probably be aware of the annoying deaths and how to avoid getting stuck by saving like an idiot savant every 2 seconds.

Personally, while I quite like the plot of LSL2, I think it’s propably the most punishing Sierra game made. There’s just way too many unfair puzzles in it which lead you to dead ends, like the pin from the blue plate special. Or the spinach dip, you need to drop within the few seconds it takes the life boat sail away from the ship.

It’s only a fun game IMO, if you already know what to do in it, or have a walkthrough in hand.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

But if you had played many Sierra games by that time you would probably be aware of the annoying deaths and how to avoid getting stuck by saving like an idiot savant every 2 seconds.

I did save every 2 seconds. That’s why I needed rolling save games. IIRC, there was a limit on the number of save games you could have. 10? 20?

And I did dive in that pool once. It got me killed.

Evil game. Tongue

But I agree that otherwise it would be one of the better Larry installments. Probably second only to Love for Sail.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

tomimt - 28 January 2016 04:15 AM

Personally, while I quite like the plot of LSL2, I think it’s propably the most punishing Sierra game made. There’s just way too many unfair puzzles in it which lead you to dead ends, like the pin from the blue plate special. Or the spinach dip, you need to drop within the few seconds it takes the life boat sail away from the ship.

It’s only a fun game IMO, if you already know what to do in it, or have a walkthrough in hand.

LSL2 Stockholm Syndromed me LOL Crazy

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top