• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Gamers Challenge! (Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller)

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I didn’t like Cognition that much. The last two episodes were a lot better than the previous ones, but overall I thought it was pretty clumsy in most areas, especially the plot I found unintentionally funny in its attempts to be shocking and dark.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 26 January 2016 04:32 PM

I want to be playing the game, not sitting through some 15-minute, formless exposition dump.

Well, I might have sounded like that, but it’s not really a black&white; thing - sometimes, I’d gladly plunge straight into the action without much hassle, but it’s really hard to explain when will I appreciate it, and when not. It’s not just the intro, I guess it’s how those first couple of minutes lead you further into the game.. and first 5 gameplay minutes of Cognition felt nothing like “I love the mystery and slowly learning about myself and the whole situation!”, but came rather as: “OK, will someone tell me what am I doing here?. I guess one of those “I know it when I see it” things.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I really liked Cognition but have too much on my plate now to participate. Shame, could’ve already gone for a new full playthrough, as I’ve only played this once, one episode at a time.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Hey guys, I wish I could take part on this challenge since I love Cognition, but I can’t due to lack of time Embarassed  I really really enjoyed Cognition despite its technical or graphics issues. There’s something about it that captivated me. but maybe is because I loved Still Life and this came at a time when I was craving something like that, or also because I don’t watch that much TV or crime stuff, so I wasn’t bothered by cliches or typical stuff. This would have been the perfect opportunity to revisit it but oh well… I’ll try to follow the discussion anyway…

Btw, did you guys read the prequel comic Provenance? I’m not sure if it comes with the game when you purchase it or not, but it gives a nice preview into the killer so that you don’t feel as lost at the beginning as some of you expressed. If not let me know if you want me to share it, if it’s not against the rules of course Wink

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

All right, done with Episode 1. Took about 5 hours. It was fine, even though it lagged quite a bit in the middle. But the final parts were strong. Story and characters feel like off-brand SVU, but serviceable. The cognition and investigative puzzles were pretty good; all the filler stuff in-between not so much.

Best moment: Searching Longmore’s flat

Worst moment: Stealing flowers from a stranger’s grave to put them on your brother’s grave because you forgot to buy some. I thought causing a car crash in order to procure a lemon in SF: Tunguska was the lowest point of my life as an adventure gamer, but that was even worse. Who does that? Who in their right mind can think that this is a reasonable way to deal with a mild problem??? How many times do you have to have been dropped on your head as a baby to become an AG designer?

Best puzzle: Finding the details for the husband’s memories. Generally, the cognition powers show promise, and I thought that was the best bit, even if the execution was not always perfect.

Worst puzzle: All those contrived, joyless puzzles involving Terrence and Gallagher. I’m trying to catch a killer, not deal with your high school shit.

Worst trope: There were a lot of tired clichés, but the worst was without doubt Rose. Ugh.

Predictions for the next episodes (which I’ve never played):
Episode 2: Against her better judgement, Erica goes back to fucking Sully. An hour later, he either gets horribly murdered or turns out to be a killer. Possibly both!
Episode 3: Halfway through the episode, Erica finds Rose’s disembowelled corpse. Losing her spiritual counsellor sends her into a tailspin. But in the end she pulls through because she’s a strong modern woman. (Cue Scarlett Furies song.)
Episode 4: It was Cordelia all along! Gasp! Who might have thunk??? (This seems so obvious that I’m tempted to bet that the big twist is that she’s actually not the killer.)

How is everyone else doing? We’re a quarter of the way through the allotted time, so we should all have completed episode 1.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Still at the beginning. I would have started it if the game launched on the laptop!  Shifty Eyed
Don’t know if it’s a problem with the Mac version or my laptop, game doesn’t run… Will start the PC version tommorrow

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Finished the prologue… I know, I’m crawling. I hope to play much more today and tomorrow. It does get better, though now I don’t agree with the notion that cognition powers are good “puzzle” as such - what’s the point if you have to use the powers on everything where it is possible to use, in order to progress?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

diego - 28 January 2016 10:34 AM

Finished the prologue… I know, I’m crawling. I hope to play much more today and tomorrow. It does get better, though now I don’t agree with the notion that cognition powers are good “puzzle” as such - what’s the point if you have to use the powers on everything where it is possible to use, in order to progress?

That’s just the first power. She gets others that are more interesting.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kurufinwe - 28 January 2016 10:37 AM

That’s just the first power. She gets others that are more interesting.

Yeah, I anticipated that. But I hope there still be “puzzle” in choosing the right hotspot (from those that are turned blue) along with the right power, even though it’s kind of a puzzle that can always be brute forced.

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And now I’ve got this stupid song stuck in my head. Thanks for nothing, Cognition episode 2.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I knew I shouldn’t have clicked on that link. Frown (now I’ll sing it for at least a week, like a few years ago). Seriously, shouldn’t it become sort of a “rickroll for adventure gamers” song? Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 28 January 2016 05:01 PM

I knew I shouldn’t have clicked on that link. Frown (now I’ll sing it for at least a week, like a few years ago). Seriously, shouldn’t it become sort of a “rickroll for adventure gamers” song? Grin

I’m game! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

OK, played a bit through the first episode… the things got better, inspecting the crime scene really felt like “detective” guesswork, with believable conversations with your co-workers (quite like Seven, actually Wink ). The facial animations, or lack of it, do try to break away every bit of immersion, but I guess I can live with it (I can live with anything apart from McCoy’s walking cycle).

One thing I don’t like in the design aspect is how you have 5 minutes of playing, 5 minutes of watching cutscenes (or long dialogs) over and over (it reminded me of Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch in that regard). I also can’t seem to understand why the game sometimes lets you skip line of a dialogue, and sometimes not. Also, I don’t like how you need to go through every dialogue topic in order to leave the “dialog mode”. And I seem to experience some nasty audio bug where the line of a dialogue from one character mixes up with the line of another character.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I am somewhere in the middle of episode 1, and I don’t know, something just feels missing. I mean the backgrounds in the game are gorgeous to look at with everything being hand painted, and I loved the energetic start, but it just feels difficult to keep excited while playing the middle section of episode 1. I hate to say that it lacks “heart” because I am sure the developers poured their heart into it, but it just feels bland so far. I’m playing Danganronpa on the PS Vita in parallel with this one, and that’s an example of a game I can hardly put down.

I hope it gets better. I love the whole serial killer over arching theme, and some of my favorite games (like Heavy Rain), and movies like(Se7en, Silence of the Lambs etc…) involve investigating and hunting down a serial killer so hopefully it will pick up steam later on.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I played the prologue and a big chunk of the 1st episode. I said I played the 1st episode before but no, I only played the prologue.
The interface is bad, don’t know if its the problem of being a mobile game also but it’s quite cumbersome. I got used to the bad characters models and and weird animations but what it’s what’s more annoying is everything is so sloooooooooooooooow. You click on something and it takes forever to react and when it does is in a slow-motion animation.
But I so like the serial-killer story and some characters even if they are cliche sometimes.

The music in the prologue still sounds like In the House, In the Heartbeat

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top