• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dialogue - To skip or not to skip

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If i want to skip voices i should also rather skip the game.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Never, well almost never.

If I accidentally click the same line twice and they are repeating themselves, or if I’m replaying the game / same sequence for the 10th time, and I already know exactly what they will say, then I might skip it. 

zobraks - 17 January 2016 11:25 AM

I want a gameplay to look as real/natural as possible, and in real life I tend to not stop people I have a conversation with in the middle of their sentence(s).

I feel the same way, interrupting them just feels rude, even if they aren’t real people.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 17 January 2016 01:26 PM

I feel the same way, interrupting them just feels rude, even if they aren’t real people.

You could say that if someone gives you a piece of paper with what they intend to say on it, it would be rude for them to repeat it aloud.

Tongue

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I also only skip if it is repeated. A nice followip question would be, is there anyone who plays games without subtitles?

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

SoccerDude28 - 17 January 2016 02:01 PM

I also only skip if it is repeated. A nice followip question would be, is there anyone who plays games without subtitles?

If possible, I’ll turn the subtitles off.
I only skip by accident, or if its a repeat dialog.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2007-02-25

PM

I like listening to the dialog because I have a great appreciation for voice actors. I only don’t like it when you’re not given the option to skip when the dialog repeats. I also prefer to keep the subtitles on as well because I have auditory processing issues. It’s easier to follow along while they speak.

Currently Playing: Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 17 January 2016 01:47 PM
Iznogood - 17 January 2016 01:26 PM

You could say that if someone gives you a piece of paper with what they intend to say on it, it would be rude for them to repeat it aloud.

Tongue

He he. Anyway a thought just occurred to me, it might also be related to how accustomed to subtitles you are. Where I live all foreign movies or shows are subtitled, so I’m used to them.

I never actually read the subtitles, instead I pay attention to the actual dialogue, while at the same time my mind subconsciously “reads” the subtitles without actually paying attention to them. So I only rarely read the subtitles in advance, like I would with your hypothetical piece of paper.

Only if it is a language that I don’t understand a single word of, do I actually consciously pay attention to the subtitles.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I would skip in real life too if I could. Games where you can’t fast-forward sentences are very annoying IMO.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

There are two circumstances in which I chose to skip dialogue.

One of them, if the choce I made for what my character says is spoken out loud word for word, but this isn’t often.

The other, and this happens most often, is when I can’t turn subtitles off. I’m a fast reader and I’m always done with the phrase by the time the voice actor’s halfway through. I always look for the “turn subtitles off” option in RPG etc but in classic or classic-style adventures, where text appears above the characters when they speak it, I always make an exception Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I read everything, but generally skip the line once I’ve read it—unless it’s a major scene, or both writing and acting are especially good.

I find that most adventure game designers grossly overestimate their skills as writers, and there’s no way I’m going to spend hours sitting through overlong, self-indulgent tripe.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Kurufinwe - 18 January 2016 04:55 AM

I find that most adventure game designers grossly overestimate their skills as writers, and there’s no way I’m going to spend hours sitting through overlong, self-indulgent tripe.

Yup, click to skip line is a must. Very glad to have it in our own game Smile

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Iznogood - 17 January 2016 03:54 PM

He he. Anyway a thought just occurred to me, it might also be related to how accustomed to subtitles you are. Where I live all foreign movies or shows are subtitled, so I’m used to them.

I never actually read the subtitles, instead I pay attention to the actual dialogue, while at the same time my mind subconsciously “reads” the subtitles without actually paying attention to them. So I only rarely read the subtitles in advance, like I would with your hypothetical piece of paper.

Actually that probably touches to the reason why I often skip voiced dialogues. I have a slight hearing impairment when there’s background noise so while I can understand people talking in quiet places, it’s hard for me to pick up voice when there’s a lot of background noise.

So, I tend to turn on subtitles even for movies in my own language and since it’s easier for me to read and parse subtitles than to hear and parse the voices, I got used to reading the subtitles quickly.  When playing games, there’s often little background noise so I could just listen to the voices but I’m used to reading the subtitles quickly and so tend to read them first and skip the voiced part.

As an aside, a pet peeve of mine are games that do not let me control the voice volume, the music volume and sound effect volume separately.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I skip it in a big way. I avoid games that have it. If I have to play a game with some dialogue, I choose to keep it to a minimum, mostly cut scenes.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

If the voice acting is bad and there is text, sure I’ll skip it.
Happens quite a bit in certain casual games.
Not so much in adventure games, unless I accidentally repeat a line.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

I give it a chance but usually end up skipping most of the time.

It has to be both good writing and voice acting for me to stick with it, unfortunately I find that’s pretty rare.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top