• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1999 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: 1999 Adventure Game of the Year is?
Total Votes: 58
Amerzone
Atlantis 2: Beyond Atlantis
Déjà Vu: A Nightmare Comes True
Discworld Noir
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Reah
Rent-A-Hero
Ring 1: The Legend of the Nibelungen
Traitors Gate
Zero Critical
Your unlisted favorite

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Well, 1998 marked the end of the Golden Years and the beginning of a period of lean years. Both the quality and the quantity are down. But of course there are still a few remarkable games that stand out from the rest. 

Other suggestions:
Aztec: The Curse in the Heart of the City of Gold
Biosys
Crystal Key
Cydonia
Inherent Evil: The Haunted Hotel
Isabelle Smile
Nancy Drew 2
Omikron (hybrid)
Outcast (hybrid)
Physicus
Search for the Golden Dolphin
Y2K

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Why isn’t The Longest Journey on the list?

Yes I know, it wasn’t released in many parts of the world until 2000, but the initial release was in 1999, and surely the first release is what counts!

Norway: 19th of November, 1999
Sweden: December, 1999
France: December, 1999
Germany: March, 2000
United Kingdom: April, 2000
United States: November, 2000 (Though Adventure Gamers list the US release as 1999)
Steam: 1st of May, 2007

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Discworld Noir for me, thank you.

Still haven’t played GK3, though.
And I love TLJ to bits, but it’s not beating Lewton if you put it in 1999.
It WILL beat Escape from Monkey Island if you put it in 2000, though.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 12 January 2016 06:50 AM

and surely the first release is what counts!

You’re making a problem of ONE month???
Whatever floats your boat. Make a problem of it.
For everybody else the game was released in 2000.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

I didn’t play any of those games in ‘99.

Would have been nice to have TLJ here and then EMI in 2000

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 12 January 2016 07:07 AM
Iznogood - 12 January 2016 06:50 AM

and surely the first release is what counts!

He’s a Scandinavian, we can understand him. Tongue

Discworld Noir. The most quotable game of all time.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

No, I’m pointing out that you might have made an error, and that all sites that I checked including this one, lists The Longest Journey as being released in 1999.

But once again, instead of simply admitting you made a mistake and correcting it, or explaining why you think that it should be considered released in another year, you just become aggressive *sigh*

But hey, it is your poll, so if you don’t care about any accuracy, or what year the games was actually released, then go ahead.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh, no, not another dispute! Seriously, these threads are cursed! Bogi’s spirit continues restlessly to walk among the mortal humans!!!

Izno, I can see where you’re coming from, but in this case The Longest Journey had an original, home country release in 1999, and UK/US in 2000 (which are often counted at this site), and it’s fine to take either. For example, I would never take The Whispered World as released in 2009, but in 2010 when it was released outside the Germany.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 12 January 2016 07:44 AM

Izno, I can see where you’re coming from, but in this case The Longest Journey had an original, home country release in 1999, and UK/US in 2000 (which are often counted at this site), and it’s fine to take either. For example, I would never take The Whispered World as released in 2009, but in 2010 when it was released outside the Germany.

Actually it was more than just a home country release, it was released in several different countries in 1999. But sure you could make a case for why it should be included in 2000 instead of 1999.

But instead of a simple answer to my polite question, like your answer, I get this:

And I’m sick and tired of all the aggressiveness in this forum.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 12 January 2016 07:58 AM

And I’m sick and tired of all the aggressiveness in this forum.

Naaaaah, come on, I see only the misunderstanding here, and as I said this is only the “perception” thing, and Karlok has all the right to include The Longest Journey as a 2000 game, not only because SHE made the poll Tongue, but for the reason I stated above. Don’t you think of leaving the forums, who will give me hints in Keepsake “Let’s play”?! Tongue

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I vote for Omikron (I’m the 1 Unlisted Favorite). It’s an hybrid but I’ve always considered it to be more of the adventure game side of things.

If Omikron is not allowed, then I’d vote for GK3. I’m quite sure I’d love Discworld Noir and it’s been on my backlog forever but I haven’t played it yet.

For TLJ, I’m quite sure it wasn’t available in 1999 in France. I was excited about this game and I bought it as soon as it came out and that was in 2000.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It was a conscious decision: 1) When there are many great games in one particular year, it’s a tough choice. Having just one popular game with no serious competition is not good either. MI4 would win hands down. 2) The international (English) version of TLJ was released in 2000, only a few months later than the scandinavian release in November and December 1999.

The year 2000 is one of the worst years ever, if not the worst. Without The Longest Journey, tomorrow’s 2000 Adventure Game of the Year poll would look like this:

Dracula 1: Resurrection
Egypt 2: Heliopolis
Legend of Lotus Spring
Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin
Louvre: Final Curse aka The Messenger
MI 4: Escape from Monkey Island
Nancy Drew 3
realMyst
Riddle of the Sphinx 1
Stupid Invaders
Timescape: Journey to Pompei
Your unlisted favorite

Yes, the year was THAT bad.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok, put TLJ wherever you want, it will wipe out the competition. Discworld Noir, GK3 or MI4. Tomorrow - TLJ 30 votes, MI4 5.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 12 January 2016 08:09 AM

Don’t you think of leaving the forums, who will give me hints in Keepsake “Let’s play”?! Tongue

Oh don’t worry, I have no intention of leaving the forum.

giom - 12 January 2016 08:12 AM

For TLJ, I’m quite sure it wasn’t available in 1999 in France. I was excited about this game and I bought it as soon as it came out and that was in 2000.

I copied the release dates from the Longest Journey Wiki, but I will take your word for it.

Karlok - 12 January 2016 08:18 AM

It was a conscious decision: 1) When there are many great games in one particular year, it’s a tough choice. Having just one popular game with no serious competition is not good either. MI4 would win hands down. 2) The international (English) version of TLJ was released in 2000, only a few months later than the scandinavian release in November 1999.

Thank you, that it was a conscious decision and not a simple mistake, and why you chose to do so, was really all I wanted to know.

Now lets move on.

My vote goes to Discworld Noir one of my all time favourite games.
But GK3 and Ring also deserves an honourable mention.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

giom - 12 January 2016 08:12 AM

I vote for Omikron (I’m the 1 Unlisted Favorite). It’s an hybrid but I’ve always considered it to be more of the adventure game side of things.

Of course it’s allowed. As a matter of fact, I’ve added it to the “suggestions”.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Iznogood - 12 January 2016 08:37 AM

Now lets move on.

Enjoy my killfile.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top