• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1996 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: Your favorite games from 1996
Total Votes: 68
Amber: Journeys Beyond
Duckman
Fade to Black
Liesure Suit Larry: Love for Sail
Congo
Ripper
Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
Toonstruck
Discworld II
Martian Chronicles
Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands
Other

Total Posts: 7452

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2016 06:56 PM

There were 17 games and 11 slots. Each game had a 65% chance of being placed in the 11 top slots. Each game was assigned a number (1-17) and a random sequence generator told me where to place them. Numbers 12-17 got placed in the “Other” category. That was always the way I intended to do it. It was the most transparent and the least biased.

It’s not transparent if nobody but you knows what you did and why. You didn’t tell us. A totally obscure action-adventure turns up in the top 11 and we had no idea why.

Karlok - You have obviously played more games than me. So if you want to jerk me around as to whether a game I selected qualifies to be in the poll…do the poll yourself!

I appreciate your efforts to continue the poll and I’m not “jerking you around”. But I do think these polls should be based on common sense, not on a generator. 

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The games listed in the poll don’t indicate my preference for any of them. And that will continue in future polls.

You are absolutely right. The above did not really describe my intent with the poll. It implied it, but did not make it clear what I intended to do.

I am really sorry about that. But now you know.

Of course everything would be wonderful if the poll limit was limitless. That way I could include everything without questions of transparency or bias.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2016 10:01 PM

Of course everything would be wonderful if the poll limit was limitless. That way I could include everything without questions of transparency or bias.

The forum software is definitely not perfect…

But it’s just a poll, not a scientific study. A few inaccuracies here and there should be allowed. Or at least be given less flack.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2016 06:56 PM
TimovieMan - 07 January 2016 03:00 PM

Actually, that’s exactly what I thought you would do, and what I think Buldozer did: try to aim for the most popular games, so “Other” isn’t picked that often.

It’s impossible to correctly gauge the top 11 games, but some are obviously more popular than others (even if you don’t think they deserve to be).

There were 17 games and 11 slots. Each game had a 65% chance of being placed in the 11 top slots. Each game was assigned a number (1-17) and a random sequence generator told me where to place them. Numbers 12-17 got placed in the “Other” category. That was always the way I intended to do it. It was the most transparent and the least biased.

I could have also placed them alphabetically. That would also be random inasmuch at it depends on what the developers decided to title the games. Also something over which I have no control.

It appears that the vast majority of players don’t like my method. The solution to that is simple. Step up and volunteer to do it yourself.

I’ve only done one poll, and it is definitely not worth the effort/aggravation ratio. If there is another, it will be done by someone else. If there is nobody else…..I may do it again. But, if I do do it. And if people have a problem with that, I have a HUGE expletive I will vent in that direction.

Zobraks - Please! If you have the research to drag me down, do the poll yourself. I’m not perfect. Neither is the research. And neither are you
Karlok - You have obviously played more games than me. So if you want to jerk me around as to whether a game I selected qualifies to be in the poll…do the poll yourself!
And for all the rest who said thank you for continuing the poll, but also said here is where you screwed up, do the poll yourself.

Next poll is 1997. I was planning on doing it on Monday, 11 January.

You tell me what should happen.

Could you be anymore butthurt over a games poll?

Just let someone less emotionally attached and with more a clue than you do the remaining polls and all will be well Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

@Burge, that’s completely out of line.

@rtrooney. Thanks for doing this poll and sorry if my earlier comment on this thread caused you offense. I had misread your first post and thought you had ordered them by popularity for the poll so it seemed strange to me not to find Broken Sword. Ordering randomly does seem logical but it’s true that in the case of very popular games they should probably be in the poll otherwise we end up with too many people voting other. Not an easy thing to do if it’s a year with a lot of games. Regardless, we’re here to have fun and talk about games that we like and it’s a pity when people start being insulting or unfriendly over small things.

If you really want to stop, I don’t mind volunteering but I wouldn’t be able to post the next poll before thursday 14th (going on a trip this week).

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

One way to do it could be to drop “Other” as the 12th option and instead add: “None of the above - name your favorite in the comments” as the 12th option.

- Then the thread starter could simply count every “12th option games” from the comments and list them [EDIT: obviously including the number of votes for each of them] - not that many are participating so it shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.
- I know it’s different from “just” making a poll and some margin of error is to be expected, but as the movieman said, it’s just fun, not a science study Smile
- There should probably still be a selection of games in the first post for inspiration, since most probably won’t bother looking up more games.

I don’t mind doing a couple of polls/threads, I just don’t have the time to do every year.

EDIT 2: In case I wasn’t clear (see Smulans post): I didn’t suggest changing the structure because of dissatisfaction - It was just to make things slightly more approachable from a user perspective. After all, the structure would be largely the same as what rtrooney did in this thread Smile

Total Posts: 1083

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2016 10:01 PM

Admit that old agotys technically unpollable and go on.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I would also suggest using this earlier thread when creating new polls—> http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/6484/

It shows pretty clearly which games are favorites in each year and will likely get votes.
For example:

1996: Tex Murphy Pandora Directive, Toonstruck, Larry 7, The Neverhood, Broken Sword, Zork: Nemesis and Bad Mojo got votes there..

1997: Broken Sword 2, The Curse of Monkey Island, Riven,, Blade Runner, Clock Tower, The Last Express, Zork: Grand Inquisitor, Obsidian got votes etc..

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

And my vote goes to Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive!

Broken Sword: The Shadows of the Templars comes in a close second and Larry 7: Love for Sail is third. All great games!

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Shivers

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2006-10-02

PM

Go on with your polls, rtrooney. I find them amusing, let the dissatisfied do their own. I’ m sure they already have begun.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

smulan - 09 January 2016 08:11 AM

Go on with your polls, rtrooney. I find them amusing, let the dissatisfied do their own. I’ m sure they already have begun.

I don’t know if you think I’m one of the dissatisfied people, but in case I wasn’t clear: I didn’t suggest changing the structure because of dissatisfaction - It was just to make things slightly more approachable from a user perspective. After all, the structure would be largely the same as what rtrooney did in this thread Smile

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

rtrooney - 07 January 2016 11:08 AM

Two - The positioning of the games is totally random. There is no “reason” why
Broken Sword wasn’t in the top 11. It just wast. To position games according to how I think they should fall would make the list an opinion piece, not a poll.

I don’t follow your logic here.

If you aren’t including the most popular games from an era, are you thinking people will happily vote for some obscure title just because it’s in the list? Seems like you are trying to manipulate people into voting for titles they really don’t want to.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Burge - 10 January 2016 06:01 AM

If you aren’t including the most popular games from an era, are you thinking people will happily vote for some obscure title just because it’s in the list? Seems like you are trying to manipulate people into voting for titles they really don’t want to.

People can still vote for the games that aren’t included in the actual poll, they just have to post their vote in the thread instead - and as you can see, many have done exactly that.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

Iznogood - 10 January 2016 06:12 AM
Burge - 10 January 2016 06:01 AM

People can still vote for the games that aren’t included in the actual poll, they just have to post their vote in the thread instead - and as you can see, many have done exactly that.

As a visual representation it sux, doe

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top