• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1993 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: 1993 Adventure Game of the Year is?
Total Votes: 64
The 7th Guest
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Day Of The Tentacle
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate
Myst
Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
Return to Zork
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Simon the Sorcerer
Space Quest V: The Next Mutation

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2015-12-13

PM

Wish you happy and adventurous New Year, all the best to you and your loved ones!

1993 was such incredibly strong year that we would need at least two polls, if not more and each of those games could easily be Adventure Game of the Year today.

Just look at some suggestions that were left out of the poll:

BloodNet: A Cyberpunk Gothic

Blue Force

Companions Of Xanth

Cosmology Of Kyoto

Eric The Unready

Goblins 3

Innocent Until Caught

Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out!

Lost in Time

Police Quest 4: Open Season

Return Of The Phantom

Comments and opinions are highly encouraged.
Thanks!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I’m going with Day of the Tentacle with Gabriel Knight being in very very close second. I love both games dearly, but DOTT is the reason why I am on these forums today so it holds a special place in my heart.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

I’m stumped. It’s between Bloodnet and Cosmology of Kyoto. But which one?

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

This is a bad set of choices. Several of my favorite games are listed.

But I have consistently stated, over the years, that FPFP is one of my all time favorite games. And since Josh is my all time best friend game designer, there was no other option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1667

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

What a year that was! But Simon the Sorcerer is the most enjoyable AG I have ever played!
Beyond Shadowgate would be my second choice.
Happy New Year to all Adventure Game lovers!

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Thank goodness for Myst. Without it, I never would have played any PC games, and I would have missed out on what is an important part of my life. Since my start in gaming in the late 90’s, I have have belonged to 3 large gaming communities, and became familiar enough with some members to call them friends. I am grateful that Myst came along and catered to a new group of adventure gamers.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Day of the Tentacle is one of only 6 AGs I’ve ever given 5/5, so that takes the crown.

My cut-off point for game brilliance is 4/5, and any game that gets 4 or more in my book could in fact win my “best game of the year” vote in a less competitive year.
Had it not been for DotT, then GK1 would have been a clear winner. And without GK1 it would be a toss-up between Simon the Sorcerer and Freddy Pharkas.

And I’m pretty sure that some of the games on that list that I haven’t yet played (like Shadow of the Comet and Eric the Unready) could be contenders too. VERY strong year, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

Insanely strong year but Day of the Tentacle is still pretty clear winner for me

TOP5
1. Day of the Tentacle
2. Sam & Max: Hit the Road
3. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
4. Space Quest V: The Next Mutation
5. Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2015-12-13

PM

For now, greatest surprises for me are 0 votes for Quest for Glory IV and Sam & Max Hit the Road, this says a lot what a year that was, pinnacle of classical adventuring.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

To be honest I never really liked Day of The Tentacle too much, I found it just OK but far from other games in the genre. I enjoyed it more Sam & Max if we speak of another game in the same year from Lucas.

And as others have said this year is extremely difficult…. Shadow of the Comet, Gabriel Knight, Quest for Glory IV, Sam & Max, Simon… all great games, and since I do not want to flip a coin I’m going with Simon The Sorcerer because it is the one I remember most vividly from my childhood, I remember how fun it was and how much I enjoyed it.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Why was 1993 the best year in gaming? With Doom, MK2, Syndicate, X-Wing, etc also releasing that year. Kind of ridiculous PC line-up, not just for adventures. I voted for SQ5.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

It would be interesting to see whether the most “popular” games always win - as “crudely” measured by Google hits. Day of the Tentacle brings back almost 700000 more results than GK.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

This is almost impossible to vote on.  I love my Simon games so I had to vote for that but how do I ignore day of the tentacle.  There were so many games that year that I loved.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Since we can’t vote more than once in the poll, I’ll cast a tie-breaker for GK1.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Indeed a very strong year with many excellent games - I vote for The 7th Guest, with Gabriel, Sam & Max, DotT and Simon on a shared second place.

The 7th Guest might not be the game that has aged best or be the game that I would be most interested in replaying now, but it was the one that left the biggest impression on me when I originally played it in 1993, and that is the most important criteria imo. 

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 01 January 2016 02:44 PM

Why was 1993 the best year in gaming? With Doom, MK2, Syndicate, X-Wing, etc also releasing that year. Kind of ridiculous PC line-up, not just for adventures. I voted for SQ5.

That was 98,

Halflife, MGS, zelda oot, Thief, Oddworld, RE2, Xenogears, GrimFandango,Unreal,
Starcraft, GranTurismo,RainbowSix, BaldursGate, BanjoKazooie etc.

I had quit games in 96 came back in 98, thought 98 peaked Legendary games.

I voted for Myst, genre bending of its time.

Edit:

Thanks to this thread i have inluded 98 fav games post in general games thread. Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top