• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypantsNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cartoonie Style of AGs - Are you ok with it?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

There’s a bunch of horror games in development, they are usually quite realistic. But generally I find realism to be boring, even harmful for adventure games. They either turn too serious or too logical. And games like The Secret Files with realistic art and moon logic are even worse. Even Sherlock Holmes games usually have those “oh, c’mon” moments. Hell, even Gabriel Knight 3 - an almost perfect game - inserted THAT puzzle.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 08 July 2015 04:50 AM

There’s a bunch of horror games in development, they are usually quite realistic. But generally I find realism to be boring, even harmful for adventure games. They either turn too serious or too logical. And games like The Secret Files with realistic art and moon logic are even worse. Even Sherlock Holmes games usually have those “oh, c’mon” moments. Hell, even Gabriel Knight 3 - an almost perfect game - inserted THAT puzzle.

i remember you didnt quite like The Rabbit cartoony ‘childish’ mood Tongue

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

In my experience the amount of moon logic and poorly constructed puzzles have absolutely nothing to do with the art style, and you can find plenty of example of those in all types of adventure games.

And Yes, serious games more often has a more realistic style than humorous games, but I fail to see the problem with that.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I am not a huge fan of the cartoonish style but if it fits the game I have absolutely nothing against it. I loved the art in DoTT and Edna & Harvey for example, as well as Full Throttle and Monkey Island 3.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 08 July 2015 06:26 AM

i remember you didnt quite like The Rabbit cartoony ‘childish’ mood Tongue

This happens, especially with late cartoon games, unfortunately. But generally I think they did a better job. And while this is true

Iznogood - 08 July 2015 09:12 AM

the amount of moon logic and poorly constructed puzzles have absolutely nothing to do with the art style

cartoon games can get away with moon logic when it feels natural, like the Monkey Island series. Realistic games require realistic design, and it limits imagination.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top