• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which Myst

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2004-01-02

PM

Hello all, long time no see…

Which version of Myst (the first installment in the series) would play better on an older machine? The original game, of course, but which of the remakes would it be - Realmyst, masterpiece edition or realmyst masterpiece? or would it be the 3D version?

Thanks for sorting out the confusion Smile

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Of course depends on how old your machine is. But I recently played RealMyst: Masterpiece edition and I have a hard time believing any computer that’s not utterly outdated would have any trouble running it. (But if it’s a Windows 95 from before the turn of the millenium, then I suppose that’s a different matter Grin )

But I’m not expert on these matters, so best wait for someone who knows anything to say something authoritative Wink

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2015-05-20

PM

How old is older? If you’re talking XP, Masterpiece edition would good, or Realmyst if you have decent specs. Any older than that, Masterpiece, or run the original through an emulator.

Walking the fine line between being an original hardware nerd, and being broke from buying original hardware.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Myst                                         - Easy
Myst Masterpiece Edition         - Easy
Real Myst                                 - Medium
Real Myst Masterpiece Edition - Hard

My favorite is Myst Masterpiece Edition, but the Real Myst games are nice if you prefer real time 3d better then the slide show.

But you really need to find out your system specs to know what will work, all these are fairly easy to run.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

*thread necromancy*

Hypothetical question: let’s say I want to give Myst another chance, despite disliking it when it was new, and outright hating the horrid DS port. Which is the best version of the game?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

TimovieMan - 16 January 2016 07:57 PM

Hypothetical question: let’s say I want to give Myst another chance, despite disliking it when it was new, and outright hating the horrid DS port. Which is the best version of the game?

Pan for necromancing the thread, but yay for giving Myst another chance! IMHO, I would say give RealMyst a try. The slideshow presentation of the other ones are nice, but it is harder to get immersed in. I found I would get very turned around in one of the ages, and that the full 3D helped a lot with understanding where I was. Just my humble two cents, of course. Good luck with trying it again, let me know if you like it any better! The puzzles were always too hard for me, but I did love the characters and story. Smile There’s even a book about the backstory that is awesome.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fantasysci5 - 16 January 2016 09:05 PM

Pan for necromancing the thread

Would you prefer I started a new thread to ask “which Myst”? Wink

but yay for giving Myst another chance!

It’s the only way I’ll ever get to Riven…

IMHO, I would say give RealMyst a try.

Regular or Masterpiece Edition?

The slideshow presentation of the other ones are nice, but it is harder to get immersed in. I found I would get very turned around in one of the ages, and that the full 3D helped a lot with understanding where I was.

Constanty questioning my position/location was one of my main complaints of the game, so yeah, 3D would be preferable.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 16 January 2016 09:19 PM

Regular or Masterpiece Edition?

Take a look at screenshots.
Some people like the colors better in the original RealMyst, and don’t care for how lighting effects were used in the remake.

I thought some things were better in the original—like the fish you see in the underwater room in Stoneship. I also thought the contrast between dark and light areas was too high in the remake.

Both have rainstorms, day/night cycles, snow falling in the Rime Age.
And both have those weird trees with the flat branches.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

As (one of) the resident Myst fanatic(s), I must applaud you for trying Myst again, Tim! I actually like both of the RealMyst games, but have limited exposure to them since they flare my motion sickness up. If I had to choose, though, which one to give a newbie who wasn’t really sold on the franchise, I say try the Masterpiece edition. IIRC, it gives you a couple different control options that the original doesn’t, but don’t quote me on that. It’s been a while since I played it.

The way I feel about the graphics issue is, if you care enough to start comparing the graphics quality of both titles to see which one has “better” lighting effects, you probably wouldn’t be in this thread asking “which Myst,” because you’d already have an opinion.  Wink

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It’s a pity there isn’t a definitive version which allows you to change between slideshow and real-time. The choice can really make or break the experience. Some people can only orient and immerse themselves in real-time, while others (like me) prefer the speed and simple navigation of slides.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 16 January 2016 09:19 PM

It’s the only way I’ll ever get to Riven…

If that’s your goal, then skip Myst, read The Book of Atrus, and go straight to Riven (which is vastly superior to its predecessor).

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 January 2016 04:52 AM

If that’s your goal, then skip Myst, read The Book of Atrus, and go straight to Riven (which is vastly superior to its predecessor).

Unfortunately, my inner OCD won’t allow that. Worst case scenario is that I’ll give up and bulldoze through with a walkthrough by hand.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

My vote is for realMyst Masterpiece Edition.

Oscar - 16 January 2016 11:13 PM

It’s a pity there isn’t a definitive version which allows you to change between slideshow and real-time. The choice can really make or break the experience. Some people can only orient and immerse themselves in real-time, while others (like me) prefer the speed and simple navigation of slides.

Actually, realMyst Masterpiece Edition does give the option of playing in “Classic Myst” mode, which is a slideshow-like mode with point-and-click. You can even bring up a small version of each original “slide” from the first Myst game by hitting the left shift key. The transitions from slide-to-slide do give more of a spinning effect than in the original Myst, though—I suspect this occurs because there’s so much more detail in each slide.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I’ve found that using Windows XP has been the key to getting all the Myst games and my older games to work well, even realMyst Masterpiece Edition, on older (and newer for that matter) machines.  For that reason I keep an extra drive with XP and my favorite games handy so that I can dual boot it with the newer operating systems which don’t always like older games.  If you look up the specs needed to play a Myst game when it was first released you’ll see that the requirements are pretty low.  So even if your machine is running Windows 98 I’ll bet it will run it, as I remember it did for me.

My preference in playing order would be as they came out.  It’s not mandatory, but you’ll see a nice progression in storyline and style and if your machine will handle the enhanced editions all the better to swap them out for the originals.  The original game of course sets up the theme of betrayal that runs through the games.

Myst IV:  Revelation is my favorite, for the record.

EDIT:  I see I was fooled into thinking this was a current thread and will have to look at post dates more carefully.  Nevertheless, it may be of some use so I’ll leave it here.

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Dara100 - 17 January 2016 02:54 PM

Myst IV:  Revelation is my favorite, for the record.

Oh wow, mine too. Which age is your favorite? I loved Spire the first time around, and still enjoy it after all this time. Serenia is a close second, though. Gotta love those floating rocks!  Tongue

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Yes, Spire!  Beautiful and clever with great puzzles.  And of course fitting punishment for Sirus.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top