• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sunset - Tale of Tales

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I was planning on getting the game and playing it but there’s been so many great games released in the past few months that I didn’t get to it…
It’s sad to see an innovative company going down like this…

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

So that’s why they were having a sale on their site for so long. Such a shame. Frown

Better to stock up until those games get caught up by the same fate as Scratches.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Karlok - 22 June 2015 08:51 AM

[img]All of six responses to the game itself when it was released a month ago and 950 to Tale of Tales’ latest blog post. It goes without saying that about 98 percent of the responses is extremely negative, uninformed, aggressive or downright nasty. There’s a message here…

Ignoring the nature of reddit and some of the resulting harshness I’d say that’s not surprising at all, and while you can never plan something like this, it sure looks like a last measure PR stunt to me. People love drama. I’m pretty sure we’ll see games from them in the future again.
In my case it worked. I want to know what this is all about, even if I’m not too interested in games like that. But there seems to be no demo available and the game is back to its original price tag on humble and steam.(20 Euros, here.)
This goes against the PR stunt theory, I have to admit.

I’m not spending 20 Euros out of mild interest and when I’m completely unsure if I’ll like it, when I have plenty of unplayed games in my library. 
They seem to have needed and expected constant cash flow and are now forced to react at a time when it’s much too early to draw a real conclusion.
Maybe the “failed” sale added to that.
The truth is, hardly anyone will spend even 10 bucks on a short game with mixed reviews where you have to dig to find details about the actual gameplay. You don’t reach a new audience that way, just the people you already convinced in the past.
Especially during the Steam Summer Sale. I’m not sure about the actual timing, but even with the Sale around the corner, people are anticipating that one.
Like it or not, but it’s a reality and you can’t just hope to replicate the success of Gone Home.

As for the blog entry:
Having only played the demo of The Path (an interesting but far from brilliant experience for me) my first reaction is mostly negative, too.
The disappointment is understandable and they are very honest about their mistakes (while also blaming everyone around them) but there is also a huge sense of entitlement showing through and the occasional self-mocking and sarcasm can’t really make up for that, in my opinion - and might be completely lost on many readers.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I have no idea how it compares to their other games, but 4,000 copies is a pretty decent first month number for an indie/niche adventure game. I know a large chunk of those went to their backers, but that’s always a risk of Kickstarter - you tap out your most eager audience before the game’s even out.

Clearly it’s not what they expected and isn’t paying off their debts, but I think it’s a shame this is being waved around as a commercial failure after only four weeks.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Shnubble - 23 June 2015 11:08 AM

[...] it sure looks like a last measure PR stunt to me.

I don’t know the truth anymore than you do but I’d be surprised if it was. I’m more or less familiar with their views on art, politics, society, video games. Their blog post is in keeping with everything they’ve been saying over the years. (Of course that doesn’t mean I agree with their views or the infamous blog post.)

People love drama.

Reddit loves drama. They’re dying to get enraged about some post by two unknown indie developers of an unknown niche game which the reddit masses will never play. Hey, I’m a gamer, I have no idea what this is about but you’re talking about me, you shithead.  Tale of Tales does not deserve the garbage they got, and not just from the awful reddit crowd.

I’m pretty sure we’ll see games from them in the future again.

And that certainty is based on what?

I’m not spending 20 Euros out of mild interest and when I’m completely unsure if I’ll like it, when I have plenty of unplayed games in my library.

I agree, the price is too high, and there’s no shortage of interesting games.

The truth is, hardly anyone will spend even 10 bucks on a short game with mixed reviews where you have to dig to find details about the actual gameplay. You don’t reach a new audience that way, just the people you already convinced in the past.

Well, I have only seen positive or fairly positive reviews, gameplay explained and all.

fov - 23 June 2015 02:10 PM

I have no idea how it compares to their other games, but 4,000 copies is a pretty decent first month number for an indie/niche adventure game. I know a large chunk of those went to their backers, but that’s always a risk of Kickstarter - you tap out your most eager audience before the game’s even out.

Clearly it’s not what they expected and isn’t paying off their debts, but I think it’s a shame this is being waved around as a commercial failure after only four weeks.

IMO it’s not fair to lump KS backers and other buyers together, but if you do you should add the KS month to that first month. Which makes it 4000 copies in over two months.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Karlok - 24 June 2015 06:18 AM

And that certainty is based on what?

Ultimately it’s my gut feeling.
Partly it’s because of the way the text is worded. We don’t think we’ll do that again, but support us here, support us there and buy our games. In other words: We might reconsider if you tell us you love us enough and give us some more money. Also note that they say they won’t do “commercial” games again. I don’t think something like The Path is a commercial game for them. It’s “art” and I would be surprised if they’d give away their art completely for free in the future, especially when they had some time to look at things from a less emotional point of view.

As I read the blog post, in their minds they lowered their standards for this game, their high ambitions being the only thing keeping their brilliant games from commercial success. Because commercial success is as easy as painting by numbers. Now they are disappointed that they did their part, but the world did not react according to plan.

Karlok - 24 June 2015 06:18 AM

Well, I have only seen positive or fairly positive reviews, gameplay explained and all.

I see plenty of reviews in the 50-60 range.
And there are a few pretty negative user reviews on Steam, too, and they don’t seem to be written by “Hey!This is not a shooter!“guys but are fairly detailed and articulate.
A huge majority found those useful, too, but this might have to do with the blog and reddit.

As for the lack in gameplay presentation I was mainly speaking about spontaneous purchases because of a sale.
The sale they did was in my opinion one for people already interested in the game (who also need to be informed about the sale.)
But if you happen to stumble across the sale by chance, there is too little information available on the page.

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

A comment from one of the Ethan Carter developers:

http://www.theastronauts.com/2015/06/what-really-happened-to-tale-of-tales-sunset/

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/let-s-talk-about-tale-of-tales-sunset-and-public-f/1100-5227/

Giant Bomb did an interseting article about how changes in public funding have made a difference to developers like this.

Ironicly it seems that it was easier to get funding when it was a film and arts fund than it is now that it is a Games fund. (Easier to explain games to film people than explaining art to games people)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top