• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best first point&click; adventure game for my mom? 

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-05-14

PM

So I’m looking for a p’n'c adventure game for my 60 year old mother. It’s the first adventure game she’ll ever play, so it has to be very easy, fun and most importantly: have a built in tutorial that explains the game mechanics very well. It also has to run on older hardware (GF6600 GT 128MB, Athlon 64 3000 cpu), and have voice recorded dialogue (with subtitles). She’s played bejeweled, angry birds and similar casual games before, so she knows how to use a mouse, but other than that has no experience with gaming.

What would you recommend?
Thanks

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I’d recommend Carol Reed games.
The recent titles in the series have a built-in tutorial ideal for newbies and these games are quite simple but interesting and amusing (if one loves mysteries) on the other hand.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I would recommend Broken Age really. It has simple mechanics and I’d assume that the story as well is suited for people of all ages.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Why not show her a small free and easy game like Samorost first? If she likes it, Botanicula or Machinarium would be a logical next step. Or Broken Age, yes.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lilly Looking Through

Very cute and not too difficult.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

A casual hidden objects game like Mystery Case Files should do the trick, my mom loves them.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Syberia will do.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I think I would get her two games to start with and she could play each one for an hour or so.  I detest 1st person type games and possibly she wouldn’t like them either. But,then again, she might like them.  So, maybe one of the Carol Reed games for a 1st person game and then also Book of Unwritten Tales 2 for a 3rd person point and click. I had lots of fun with Lost Horizon too.  I am 62 years old and games like Botanicula and Machinarium don’t appeal to me, but, I did try them.  But, my point is that everyone is different what appeals to them and some people enjoy the Myst-type first person games and some people like the 3rd person BoUT type games.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Abnaxus - 14 May 2015 01:09 PM

A casual hidden objects game like Mystery Case Files should do the trick, my mom loves them.

I agree with Abnaxus, I would get her a casual HOG game to start with. Adventure game puzzles can be intimidating for new comers so you should probably ease her in with a game she won’t get stuck on that much.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’d try an older Nancy Drew game or Broken Sword: The Director’s Cut:

http://www.gog.com/game/broken_sword_directors_cut

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Honestly this is the most important factor:
What does she want to play? She should start with something that appeals to her. When you started playing the genre, did somebody select somthing for you, or did you play what you gravitated towards?
Start with a genre (murder mystery, fantasy, scifi) then ask her what she wants out of a game (puzzles, story, action)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top