• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-08-04

PM

Becky - 04 June 2015 07:06 AM

Hey, I’m finally seeing the face Lady K mentioned.

http://i.imgur.com/8w8BMmF.png

[spoiler]It’s above those two poisonous-looking flowers that have just appeared (apparently in the greenhouse?). If you look above those flowers just a bit you’ll see a grey nose and above that, one eye (the other eye is blocked by something else). [spoiler]

That’s nothing more than pareidolia… The shapes and colors within that ‘face’ and ‘eye’ are abundant throughout this scene and make sense as scenery…

You guys start seeing things…  Crazy

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Pareidolia. What an intriguing word! I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Next I’ll start looking for the moon rabbit.  Cool

Total Posts: 5600

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I guess I’ve been looking at too many hidden object scenes lately, but I can’t unsee the face now.

I’m guessing that the significance of the final shot is that Robin can move around the property now.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I confess to not watching the credits all the way through. Pan  As a result I’m not sure I caught the face in the window. And I’m absolutely sure I didn’t catch Michael not latching the cellar door. (I could swear I saw him latch it. Otherwise how could the chase end?) But it won’t be the first time I have been proven wrong. And it certainly won’t be the last.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Heya folks! Just a quick reminder to let you know that I’m going to be addressing the remaining questions about the ending when everybody’s done playing. I may not give you all the answers, of course, because then there would be no mystery left Wink

I’m also saving the last juicy trivia facts for the conclusion of the playthrough!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 06 June 2015 09:49 PM

Heya folks! Just a quick reminder to let you know that I’m going to be addressing the remaining questions about the ending when everybody’s done playing. I may not give you all the answers, of course, because then there would be no mystery left Wink

I believe that while there are indeed some folks that haven’t found the time to finish the game, the grand majority of us did some time ago. Please start enlightening us!! (even in spoiler tags - sorry Meh  )

Joined 2010-08-04

PM

Agustín Cordes - 03 June 2015 11:15 AM

In fact, the dream I had might’ve been primarily inspired by the ending of this movie. I think Scratches owes to Fulci more than you can imagine. Speaking of which, did you find the nod to this infamous Italian director?[/spoiler]

For the nod towards Fucli, it has been too long that I played this game. I have seen all his classics and I expect to see a nod to The Beyond. Don’t ask me why, but (as with The House by the Cemetery, there’s this theme of a family living in a new house in a new area with strange people and happenings inside the house), it just ‘feels’ like something out of that film should be brought over. It has a most disturbing vibe (most disturbing of all of Fulci’s, personally) and very memorable locations and scenes. Even though it hardly makes any sense (weidly, a positive thing), because it has this Lovecrafting hopelessness for a good end!

The setting. The old Victorian house with dusty corners and age-old secrets comes from The Changeling, a movie that I still admire to this day. I’ve re-watched it rather recently and I’m positive that my desire to do an adventure game based in the “haunted” house setting was inspired by this movie.

I’m sure that the attitude of the maincharacter in The Changeling is a role that perfectly fits the player in a horrorgame. It is rather unique in how he uses reason throughout the entire ordeal, yet also gets emotionaly strained. Even when he cannot deny the supernational element, he will continue to investigate and bring it all to an end. Even though it ends with the good ol’ fire. Smile People led by blind panic is an element that spoils too many modern horrors (if the characters are this terrified the viewer will be too?).

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

tegendemuur - 07 June 2015 05:58 AM

For the nod towards Fucli, it has been too long that I played this game.

The Fulci nod: [spoiler]It’s actually the Zombie film, plus he’s in the Thanks section in the final credits. We used the zombie appearing in the movie poster as the texture for the corpse of Catherine Blackwood Smile http://www.sourpussclothing.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/z/o/zombie_poster.jpg[/spoiler]

But The Beyond happens to be one of my favorite horror movies as well. It’s the second Fulci movie I saw after House by the Cemetery. I love its surreal atmosphere and offbeat ending. In spite of all his excesses, Fulci was hands one one of the best horror movie directors.

I’m sure that the attitude of the maincharacter in The Changeling is a role that perfectly fits the player in a horrorgame.

Agreed, and George Scott’s performance only makes it better. Surely many of its nuances in storytelling served as a sort of template for Scratches, especially that stubborn reliance on rationale.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m also saving the last juicy trivia facts for the conclusion of the playthrough!

Oh, yea! can’t wait - please still my beating heart!

I’m counting the days, I loved playing this game and will play it again soon!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m hoping that Agustin will post more of his secrets. But there is always the possibility that he may be otherwise occupied. So, maybe it’s time to close the conversation. If he is able to contribute later thoughts we’ll all see them, assuming we subscribe to the thread.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’m here, I’m here! My days have been truly busy, I could barely sit in front of the computer just yesterday. But I didn’t forget about the things I promised you—I was definitely planning to post more things this morning.

Such an unfortunate timing. I was devastated to hear the news about the passing of Sir Christopher Lee. To say that I highly appreciated this gentleman would be an understatement. Along with Peter Cushing, Vincent Price, and John Carradine, the Master of Horrors are major reason why Scratches (and this playthrough!) exists. An era has come to an end.

One of my dreams was to have Sir Christopher Lee voicing Michael Arthate in Scratches. I even got in touch with his manager some months ago for an eventual re-release of the game somewhere down the road. Alas, nothing ever came of it. Nothing ever will. This brings to mind some other interesting factoids that I wanted to share with you:

- Originally Matt Clark of Barrow Hill fame was going to provide the voice for ex-police chief Bailey. Unfortunately, the casting didn’t work out and to this day Matt is still bugging me about it.

- Sue Anderson who performed Michael’s assistant Barbara was a singer in the legendary UK band Bark Psychosis (as Sue Page then). The overused term “post rock” was first used to describe the unique music of BP, which was highly influenced by Talk Talk’s final albums of jazz fusion. I casually met Sue on Napster (blast from the past!) while looking for BP’s then upcoming album leaks. Thanks to this relationship, I got to meet the leader of the band (Graham Sutton) and we became friends over the years. Now THAT is trivia!

- I was once offered a real possibility to use the trademark “Sanitarium” for Scratches. Turns out a publisher (XS Games, maybe?) owned its rights and wanted to exploit the title. They seriously proposed me to do a “Sanitarium 2: Scratches”. Suffice to say, I declined.

- The final piano theme was written by my father Daniel Cordes especially for the game. It’s actually a much longer piece.

More soon…

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 11 June 2015 11:42 AM

Such an unfortunate timing. I was devastated to hear the news about the passing of Sir Christopher Lee.

The death of Sir Christopher Lee was really tragic news. Of cource he was pretty old, but also really productive until the very end both in music and cinema industry.

Joined 2015-05-22

PM

I loved his roles in films, a brilliant actor with a brilliant mind. Sad to see him go.

Thanks for the continued updates Agustín Cordes!

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I know, I know, I said “soon”. Well, my “soons” are different from normal people’s “soons” Tongue

But I’ll definitely post my analysis of the Scratches ending tomorrow, which will hopefully shed light on some of the mysteries discussed here. It’s drafted and quite long, so I’ll revise it in the morning with a clear head.

Thank you for your patience!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

- Sue Anderson who performed Michael’s assistant Barbara was a singer in the legendary UK band Bark Psychosis (as Sue Page then). The overused term “post rock” was first used to describe the unique music of BP, which was highly influenced by Talk Talk’s final albums of jazz fusion. I casually met Sue on Napster (blast from the past!) while looking for BP’s then upcoming album leaks. Thanks to this relationship, I got to meet the leader of the band (Graham Sutton) and we became friends over the years. Now THAT is trivia!

- I was once offered a real possibility to use the trademark “Sanitarium” for Scratches. Turns out a publisher (XS Games, maybe?) owned its rights and wanted to exploit the title. They seriously proposed me to do a “Sanitarium 2: Scratches”. Suffice to say, I declined.

- The final piano theme was written by my father Daniel Cordes especially for the game. It’s actually a much longer piece.

This is very interesting information - thank you so much for sharing!

I just love Barbara’s voice - good voice acting like this adds to a game.

Also, the music in this game is top notch, so - this information on the music is much appreciated too!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top