• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Full Throttle nostalgia

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I know I can’t be the only one, but wow I loooove full throttle!  Just replayed through it for the first time in awhile.  Everything about it, the atmosphere, the music, the romanticising of outlaw biker lifestyles… its so great :)  What a moment in time!!! Such a tragedy roy passed away before there could be a sequel made (as I saw there was actually one in development in the early 2000s, though i am not certain it was going to continue the same game or story.)  Anyway, I just really felt so intense replaying this and had to give a shout out to the amazing memories of this game.  It has to be one of the best written adventure games of all time imo.  I think when it comes to comic/cartoon style graphics with pre-rendered 3-d scenes integrated, the graphics in this game just soar.  It still holds up to todays standards imo visually… but the story?!?  The story is so well put together!  I wish there could have been a whole series of Full Throttle. Even films would have worked, or a television series perhaps.  This universe lucasarts created is probably my favorite of all their games.  I wish there was more.  That ending kills me every time when ben just leaves mo acknowledging they are just in a different league now.  What a great fucking game!!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

And it’s still - 20 years later - one of the most cinematic games ever, imo.
With still one of the coolest soundtracks ever (The Gone Jackals rule!). Cool

There’s a good reason why I’ve replayed this several times. Hands down one of the best games ever made.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The awful mini-games aside this game is still one of the best adventure games out there. Aside from the first two Broken Sword games and Grim Fandango it’s the one I’ve replayed the most.

I hope the remaster of Day of the Tentacle does well so we might get a remaster of Full Throttle at the quality of the fan image that went around a few years back.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 01 May 2015 04:37 PM

And it’s still - 20 years later - one of the most cinematic games ever, imo.

1. Full Throttle/The Last Express

50. The Rest

And I can’t even begin to describe how cool the soundtrack is.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

I remember that Full Throttle got a lot of heat for its short play time when it came out, but in hindsight, it was packed with cool stuff and only a few annoying action sequences for filler. It wasn’t a short game when it came to contact. It was just a compact game, with plenty to do and see and a breathlessly fast-paced plot.

I think it was Tim Schafer (???) who said that the difference between Bernard Bernoulli and Ben was that if faced with a locked door and a sandwich, Bernard would use a sandwich toothpick to push the key out onto a slice of bread, and Ben would eat the sandwich and kick the door down. Say what you will about its low difficulty, FT did a great job of putting the player in Ben’s mindset.

How many games from that time have aged so well? Very few.

Plundered Hearts, another favorite AG of mine, got the same “too short” criticism for being so tightly packed and action-centered, and looks just as great in hindsight.

Edit: I dug up the quote from Tim Schafer:

“As far as the main characters go, it’s like this: Let’s say Ben and Bernard both walk up to a door. It’s locked. The only tool they have to help them get through the door is a ham and cheese sandwich on white (bread). Bernard would inspect the keyhole and see that the key was still in the lock, sticking out the other side. He’d lubricate the floor with mayonnaise from his sandwich, and slide a piece of bread under the door. Then he’d take out the toothpick and use it to push the key back out the hole so it would drop on to the bread and then pull the bread back under (the door), and open the lock with the key. Ben would eat the sandwich and kick down the door.”

This quote has stuck with me for a decade because it makes a REALLY good point about how puzzle approaches have to make sense for a character, not just the player and the designer!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I never understood why FT is so maligned. I don’t think it had easy puzzles (in fact, on these forums, “getting into the junkyard” was mentioned as an example of a great puzzle) and the bike fights are NOT action, they’re a disguised puzzle. If you use the right weapon then no dexterity is required. The only issue is you get random opponents which might be tedious.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I agree Full Throttle is an amazing game. Its only drawback was its length and its easy puzzles back then, but I guess Tim went with that to give it a more cinematic feeling. It’s definitely up there for me as one of the greats.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Full Throttle is one of my favourite advneture games. It’s fun, well made and the cinematic quality of it is superb.  It fully porves that no every game needs to be +20 hours in order to be great.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 01 May 2015 11:41 PM

and the bike fights are NOT action, they’re a disguised puzzle. If you use the right weapon then no dexterity is required. The only issue is you get random opponents which might be tedious.

Not everyone gets that, though. Heck, I only figured it out on my third playthrough.
I can certainly get why people hate this section, as well as the pixel hunt-y semi-timed puzzle with the secret entrance to Corley Motors…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Full Throttle is indeed one of the best adventure games ever made and its cinematic approach was suberbly executed. Going back and replaying a game like this when you’re used to the mediocrity that sadly has become the genres standard, it just goes to show how the genre doesn’t really need to evolve, Ron Gilbert pretty much perfected the formula with TSoMI. It just needs genuinly talented and creative people with a decent budget, without a publisher telling them what to do.

TimovieMan - 02 May 2015 09:17 AM
Antrax - 01 May 2015 11:41 PM

and the bike fights are NOT action, they’re a disguised puzzle. If you use the right weapon then no dexterity is required. The only issue is you get random opponents which might be tedious.

Not everyone gets that, though. Heck, I only figured it out on my third playthrough.
I can certainly get why people hate this section, as well as the pixel hunt-y semi-timed puzzle with the secret entrance to Corley Motors…

I certainly dislike this section. Fortunately, if you press Left Shift + V you will instantly win the fight. I discovered that on my tenth or so playthrough. Even if the fights are puzzles with picking the right weapon for the right opponent, I still find this section super tedious because of the random encounters. Several times when replaying Full Throttle, I stopped playing at this point, even though I knew which weapons to use when.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dag - 02 May 2015 10:29 AM

Fortunately, if you press Left Shift + V you will instantly win the fight. I discovered that on my tenth or so playthrough.

Wut?

And here I thought I knew everything there is to know about Full Throttle… Gasp

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I wanna play!  Tongue   Is it (legally) available for download anywhere? I’ve looked and haven’t found it yet….

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mike the Wino - 02 May 2015 03:42 PM

I wanna play!  Tongue   Is it (legally) available for download anywhere? I’ve looked and haven’t found it yet….

Wait a couple of months. LucasArts Disney is getting the LucasArts games out on GOG in batches. It’s only a matter of time before Full Throttle is there as well.

Unless you want to track down a copy on eBay or something… Tongue

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

TimovieMan - 02 May 2015 04:44 PM

Wait a couple of months. LucasArts Disney is getting the LucasArts games out on GOG in batches. It’s only a matter of time before Full Throttle is there as well.

Unless you want to track down a copy on eBay or something… Tongue

Naaah, I want one that I don’t have to mess around with to get it to work on my ‘puter. But waiting is my forte…just gotta dig out a couple more bottles of some old Château Lafite Rothschild from the bowels of my cellar….fire up a spliff, and I’ma waitin’!!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mike the Wino - 02 May 2015 04:50 PM

Naaah, I want one that I don’t have to mess around with to get it to work on my ‘puter.

Meh, ScummVM plays it perfectly. Cool

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

TimovieMan - 02 May 2015 05:00 PM
Mike the Wino - 02 May 2015 04:50 PM

Naaah, I want one that I don’t have to mess around with to get it to work on my ‘puter.

Meh, ScummVM plays it perfectly. Cool

Heh, after the wine and spliff, I’ll need your smiley’s sunglasses. Anyway, I’ve had mixed luck running games on ScummVM, except for those that I’ve purchased at GOG. Plus, I’ve got about 12 other games to play first!  Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top