• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Abhi D.

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Escape from Monkey Island…

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

mbday630 - 22 April 2015 04:48 PM

I tried to play Escape from MI a few months ago and it wouldn’t work on my windows 7 computer. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Try ResidualVM its like ScummVM for MI4.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

thank you speedbo. i will try it.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 22 April 2015 11:33 AM
TimovieMan - 22 April 2015 06:49 AM

You’re all bonkers. Just because it’s the weakest of the four games does NOT make it a bad game.

I agree - It is the “worst” in the MI series, but it is still a fairly good game.

It’s a country mile better than ‘Tales’ (which I also enjoyed).

I don’t find it ugly. If it’s ugly we also have to call Grim Fandango ugly. Parts of it are quite beautiful, like the night sky on Melee island and some of the other islands.

If we’re talking ugly, there are quite a few parts of Curse I find ugly - Murray, LeChuck and the skeletons, Elaine. Backgrounds are beautiful but the characters are too Disney for my liking.

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

I found Escape from Monkey Island to be a pretty decent adventure game, with some pretty good puzzles. As a Monkey Island game I would say it was terrible, and the whole milking the success of insult sword-fighting and and just applying the concept to whatever they felt like (such as arm wrestling) was obscene.

Even when it came out, I found the graphics to be grotesque - but it’s why I never understood why 3D was embraced when it was, because at the time it was pretty terrible looking when compared with what could be done with 2D.

However I did enjoy it far more than I did Tales, and I think the graphics were probably nicer than Tales as well.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 22 April 2015 03:55 PM

For “worst of the series” - are you counting the Telltale games?

I wasn’t - That Tales also exist had completely slipped my mind Tongue

Anyway I quite enjoyed Tales (the last good game Telltale made as far as I’m concerned), but I think Escape is the better of those two.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Nah, I always found that there is no comparison between Escape and Tales - Tales is a far superior game in my eyes. Better humour, better dialogs, they didn’t make Guybrush a total idiot (that is how he is portrayed in Escape) and the blocky graphics are in their worst in Escape MI models (on the other hand, I always found that this blockiness suited the GF models perfectly). I will not even bring to the table the keyboard controls VS the point n click, the Monkey combat, etc…..

EDIT: An interesting pair for a cage match. Advie, do you hear me?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i always hear ye Sefir,

I have got a load of ‘pairs’, and that will be one of them, Thnks for the idea.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I look at it this way…

MI1+MI2 = Original stories, cannon.
MI3+TMI = Based off the original stories, to try to continue the saga.
MI4 = Alternative universe, doesn’t really exist.

Hopefully one day Ron Gilbert will get to complete the saga with the official third game, but as long as they continue making spin-offs (MI3+TMI), I’m fine with that as well. Still waiting for someone to continue where Telltale left of. Or an animated movie.

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Oscar - 22 April 2015 10:26 PM
Iznogood - 22 April 2015 11:33 AM
TimovieMan - 22 April 2015 06:49 AM

You’re all bonkers. Just because it’s the weakest of the four games does NOT make it a bad game.

I agree - It is the “worst” in the MI series, but it is still a fairly good game.

It’s a country mile better than ‘Tales’ (which I also enjoyed).

I don’t find it ugly. If it’s ugly we also have to call Grim Fandango ugly. Parts of it are quite beautiful, like the night sky on Melee island and some of the other islands.

I’m among those who think “Escape from Monkey Island” looks worse than “Grim Fandango.” Maybe part of that is because the earlier Monkey Island games were 2D and didn’t have the blockiness and sharp edges where there should be curves. “Grim Fandango” was never 2D and has its own style, where “Escape” looked like some sort of compromise.

Even worse were the clumsy controls in “Escape.” But overall I still enjoyed it—except for that awful “Ook Ook Eek” Monkey Kombat, which was a horrible torture and NOTHING like Insult Sword Fighting.

If we’re talking ugly, there are quite a few parts of Curse I find ugly - Murray, LeChuck and the skeletons, Elaine. Backgrounds are beautiful but the characters are too Disney for my liking.

I didn’t care for the appearance of the characters in “Curse of Monkey Island” either. They didn’t look anything like they did in the first two games. Even though I thought “Curse” was an excellent game overall, with wonderful voice acting and beautiful background art, I didn’t like how they “cartoonified” and distorted the appearance of the characters. I don’t know why they used those ugly character models in “Curse” as the basis for the models in Telltale’s “Tales of Monkey Island” and the LucasArt’s Special Editions, but apparently someone liked them. IMO they should have used the close-ups in “Secrets of Monkey Island” as the models. I think they may have tried to do that for “Escape,” but the 3D rendering back around year 2000 was nowhere near up to the task.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

crabapple - 23 April 2015 01:14 PM

I don’t know why they used those ugly character models in “Curse” as the basis for the models in Telltale’s “Tales of Monkey Island”

Actually, they’re based on Curse AND MI2. LucasArts insisted that the characters should be a combination of the more realistic look of MI2 and the cartoony look of Curse, and they collaborated with TTG to achieve this.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Dag - 23 April 2015 03:16 PM
crabapple - 23 April 2015 01:14 PM

I don’t know why they used those ugly character models in “Curse” as the basis for the models in Telltale’s “Tales of Monkey Island”

Actually, they’re based on Curse AND MI2. LucasArts insisted that the characters should be a combination of the more realistic look of MI2 and the cartoony look of Curse, and they collaborated with TTG to achieve this.

Maybe that’s what they “said,” but I don’t see any MI2 influence at all in the Telltale version.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

CoMI was very interesting from a stylistic point of view, in that it was somewhere between Disney, Chuck Jones and other WB cartoons, partly because Lucas had tried to straight up do Chuck Jones tributes (DoTT), and Bill Tiller studied at CalArts IIRC and worked for Disney. I loved that about the game, you couldn’t quite pin a certain “studio style” to it, so even if it was a marriage of more, it looked original while looking familiar, too. Did that make any sense?

I don’t find Escape’s graphics horrendous, even ignoring the fact that 3d was in its infancy. I just don’t think they “popped” as much as CoMI’s did, for reasons stated above.

And I’m staying a Lucas fanboy to the end, come hell or high water with ghostly pirate ships drifting around in it Nerd

Total Posts: 2996

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

crabapple - 23 April 2015 03:54 PM

Maybe that’s what they “said,” but I don’t see any MI2 influence at all in the Telltale version.

The goatee of course!!
It is closer to the bearded MI2 Guybrush than to the full shaved Curse one.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Unpopular opinion but I actually enjoyed Escape more than the first two games. Same goes to Tales.

1. Curse of MI
2. Tales of MI
3. Escape from MI
4. MI2
5. Secret of MI

In exactly that order. Don’t hate me Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 23 April 2015 10:09 AM

Nah, I always found that there is no comparison between Escape and Tales - Tales is a far superior game in my eyes. Better humour, better dialogs, they didn’t make Guybrush a total idiot (that is how he is portrayed in Escape)

Seriously? He’s a total idiot in ALL the games, and that’s why we love him. (And oddly, why I hate Rufus).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top