• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Pillars of Eternity

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Anyone tried it yet?

I have played it for about a week, and so far I’m completely hooked. It has a great story and some exiting gameplay, in fact probably some of the best fight mechanics I have seen in a long time. It has also gotten some great reviews, like:

RPS: It’s a vast, deep and wonderfully written game, malleable to how you want to approach the genre, replete with companions, side-quests, an enormously involved combat system, and lasts a solid 60 hours.
Let me summarise: “Should I buy Pillars Of Eternity?” Yes. There, good, job done.

The only complaint I have is that it is a little bit more complicated than it had to be. With 6 characters in your party at any given time, 11 different classes, hundreds of different abilities, attributes, talents and skills, not to mention the many different weapon types, weapon combinations, damage types and protection types, there is an awful lot of things you need to learn in a relative short amount of time.

Did I also mention that it is not possible to respec? So if you make an error in your builds or during character creation, you just have to live with it.

But apart from that it is great!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I tried it, played the intro (about 2-3 hours). Went with chanter for the class but I’m not sure it’s the right choice. There is an awful lot to read and rich lore and dialogues.

Right now it’s on hold until I finish Bloodborne but after it I’ll get get no it, no doubt. Seems like it lives up to the promises of a new Baldur’s Gate!

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I kind of figured many would be busy with Bloodborne Tongue

And yeah the Chanter is kind of a boring character, flexible but boring. Their main problem is that before they are done chanting 3 verses and can finally use their strong spells the battle is already over Wink But their chant does give some bonuses and they can do other things while chanting.

Personally I’m playing as a Cipher which is also my favourite class, though they require a lot of micromanagement. But what class you select really doesn’t matter as much as it does in other games, as (s)he will only be one in a group of 6.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Like Wasteland2 , will wait for console version.

Are texts voiced or not.

Divinity broke the immersion, and i think Inxile was right to include voiced paraphrasing,
in Torment.

Good to see successful KS and Obsidian juice even more stronger than ever.
They keep on delivering on writing/story front.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 08 April 2015 01:07 PM

Are texts voiced or not.

Yes and No Wink It is partially voiced.
Some dialogues are voiced and others are not, sometimes you also have dialogues where part of it is voice and other parts are only text.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is still better than having no voice at all, and given the amount of dialogue in the game and the relative small budget, then I don’t blame them for saving a few bucks in the voice actor department.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 08 April 2015 12:53 PM

And yeah the Chanter is kind of a boring character, flexible but boring. Their main problem is that before they are done chanting 3 verses and can finally use their strong spells the battle is already over Wink But their chant does give some bonuses and they can do other things while chanting.

That’s what I was afraid off Neutral , I chose it because it looked like it plays different but I’ll just start with a new one when I get to play it.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i really like my main character chanter. The thing is: you can melee and build chants at the same time. And they get good deflection bonuses, so they make good melee characters. Its better to play them on harder difficulties because you get the most use of their spells in long fights.
Their summon spells are particularly good.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Well,this game actually a remake too but who cares,anyway after 20 years i prefer investing my time for next-gen rpgs.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

No, it’s not a remake.

Do you guys think that this is easier, about the same or harder to get into than, say BG2 if one hasn’t really played these isometric RPGs (like, started a couple but never got very far in them)?

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

UPtimist - 10 April 2015 03:48 AM

Do you guys think that this is easier, about the same or harder to get into than, say BG2 if one hasn’t really played these isometric RPGs (like, started a couple but never got very far in them)?

its a tricky question, what games have you tried that you couldnt get into, and what was it that made it hard to get into?

Pillars is similar in a lot of ways to the other games. The combat is more like 4th edition dungeons and dragons (encounter focused, large emphasis on combat).

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

UPtimist - 10 April 2015 03:48 AM

Well, let me put it like this, like you I have also tried a couple of isometric RPGs over the years, but I also never really got into any of them and never got very far before I lost interest. But the story in PoE dragged me in right from the start, and it has kept me interested ever since. (Though I am glad to finally get out of “The Endless Paths of Od Nua” - at least for now)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-01-22

PM

I’ve heard nothing but great praise for PoE, and I really would like to pick it up. As someone who’s never played the original Baldur’s Gate and the other IE games, should I play the former prior to PoE?

\“I remember when VHS first came out, man.\” - Al Lowe

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Shhwonk - 15 April 2015 09:33 PM

I’ve heard nothing but great praise for PoE, and I really would like to pick it up. As someone who’s never played the original Baldur’s Gate and the other IE games, should I play the former prior to PoE?

No - It is not in anyway a sequel to Baldur’s Gate or any other games, so there is absolutely not any reasons for that.

BTW have I mentioned how cool a character Grieving Mother is? The only regret I have now, is that I waited so long before going to the area where she is recruited.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Just killed the big dragon in The master Below of Od Nua, and…

Well after being completely wiped out on my first encounter (after choosing a wrong reply), I read a guide that strongly recommended that you avoid combat all together, and warned that it would be an extremely difficult fight if you did choose to fight him. So for my second encounter I came all prepared with a hand picked group for this particularly fight and everybody supped up on food and potions, and then ... Meh!

Sure, he can still pretty much one-hit wipe out your entire group, but hit him with just a single stun/paralyse/petrify spell, before he gets a chance to use his special ability, and you have already won the battle.

Now Fampyres on the other had - God how I hate Fampyres!

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Shhwonk - 15 April 2015 09:33 PM

its up to you. I dont think theres much doubt that BG2 is the better game… (theres not much it isnt better than).. But theres no specific reason why you would need to play the older games first.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

How does it compare to Planescape: Torment?

I consider that a better measure than Baldur’s Gate 2 (even though BG2 is a 5-star game as well in my book)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top