• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[opinion] Why adventure games are the greatest kind of game

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2014-08-09

PM

As the credits of the final Blackwell game poured across my screen. I thought in that moment, that this is the essence of why adventure games are so great. Sure I was encapsulated in the emotional ending of the game but it was not just that. I had set out on a journey. What once was unfamiliar grew into something very special and I had come away feeling a deep connection to my experience. When we pick up and read a book, we form an attachment and understanding. We come to know the characters and in some part we become part of the world, part of the story. We connect because of the time spent with the characters and all the events that happen in between. An adventure game goes beyound the boundaries of a book. We are no longer the fly on the wall watching events unfold. We step into the characters and form a connection that is far greater then thoese in books or any other form of entertainment. An adventure game in its simplist form is a story with puzzles. However it is how these puzzles define our journey, how it bridges the gap between being the observer to becoming the character in the game. An adventure game gives us the illusion that we take care of our character/characters. A deep maternal instinct in which we seek the best for the characters we become. Every puzzle and action we take is not only to progress the story but to also guide this character that we continually grow attach too. Good adventure games, when done right, erode our sence as the care taker and we can actually become the characters we play. Feel shock and disgust at uncovering betrayal. Feel utterly sad when misfortune befalls us. For a moment in our life we can escape ourselves and become others within thrilling and captivating narratives. What a book can do, an adventure game can do better. That is why adventure games are the greatest kind of game, because they encapsulate us to such an extent, that they no longer appear to be a game to us.

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Beautiful said Dean&Kate;, If only my English skills would let me describe in such a poetic way as you did my love for adventure games… and from now one if anyone would ask why I like adventure games I will point them to this post Smile

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I agree though I’d say the same thing about any narrative game, even the ones many people don’t count as adventures. I really enjoy games over other entertainment because of actual feeling of being there myself, being someone else myself.

Some people think that others are too forgiving toward the writing in games because we’re not yet used to very good writing in them. While there might be some point to this, I feel that I am just so much more moved by anything that happens in games exactly because I’m part of it (Dunbar’s number aka The Monkeysphere) that the writing works even if it’s not top notch.

Though I’m not terribly critical overall with any art/entertainment (the line is really blurry between these) because I just seek great experiences, not any kind of objective greatness.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

Agree with this, but I would add that not only adventure games can do all the original poster described. For example RPG games can do the same, just look at Planescape Torment for example, or Baldurs Gate and some other older RPG games with great stories and characters that have personality. That is the reason why adventure games and RPG’s are my favourite genre of games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top