• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Toonstruck @ GOG.com

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I presume that picture is from Zanydu, if you go beyond the railway tracks (with vulture). It always seemed like quite underused area.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 11 February 2015 09:42 AM

Yeah, but if I’m not mistaken it was a redundant material, and not something which was originally planed for a sequel. For example, there’s the Wild West part:

which wasn’t included in the game, but I don’t see how it could have been used for “Toonstruck 2” because the story, setting… is still like in the original, it’s just that Drew can visit some more places along the way. That would be more like a Special Edition.

Hey, I posted the same pic here. Abandoned and forgotten…?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 11 February 2015 10:22 AM

Hey, I posted the same pic here. Abandoned and forgotten…?

Are you joining the Toonstruck playthrough, Karloff, or are you doing the Zobraks again? Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 11 February 2015 10:29 AM

Are you joining the Toonstruck playthrough, Karloff,

Eh… I haven’t decided yet. I might. Lukewarm.

or are you doing the Zobraks again? Tongue

If you mean, will I comment from time to time without actually replaying it, then the answer is probably: Yes, I’m pulling a zobraks here.  Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2994

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The greatest problem that people happen to say about Toonstruck (not me, I haven’t played it) is that it is completely non linear to the point of being completely unsuitable for a Community Playthrough. Since then though, my experience through the Discworld AGCP has shown me that there is no such thing as an unsuitable game if the leader is well organized and has specific gaming plans beforehand.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wait, Adventuregamers just deleted the old Toonstruck 2.5 stars review by Ray Ivey and added a new 5-star one because of the digital re-release? Which actually happened 4 years ago on the same GOG? And was there ever another “AG re-review” to call it “rare”? I’m pretty sure the main editor even claimed once that AG would never rewrite a review, because that was the site’s history.

Don’t get me wrong, I think that it’s a classic game (despite I tend to agree with the original review), and the devs deserve support for their dedication to the project. But simply removing all traces of a critical review by one of the most famous adventure game reviewers of the past seems disrepectful to me and a worrying trend. Especially since the re-release doesn’t bring anything new as the “re-review” itself says:

The digital re-release is a fairly stock-standard reboot of the ‘96 version. It is not a re-mastered version of the game, but nor does it claim to be. Very little is different, therefore, from the original CD-ROM edition, which is by no means a bad thing – after all, why fix something that isn’t broken?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

No, I never said that.

There are lots of very old reviews that were written before the site had any kind of real editorial standards in place, including Toonstruck, and I’d gladly replace any of them.

But since there are so many new games that we can’t keep up with already, along with older games we never reviewed, it’s never going to be a priority.

Ray took his old reviews to Just Adventure when he left anyway. (Which, to my understanding, was one of the causes for the bad blood between the sites way back when.) So I feel no obligation to preserve articles that stopped being AG-exclusive.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I don’t know about this Ray Ivey conflict, but it’s strange to talk about AG-exclusives when the whole archive was removed from JA many years ago because of their troubled history. And talking about editorial standards, the original review actually contained some fair criticism, while the new one seems like a glorifying, overpositive review by a big fan of the game which ignores even obvious faults like the lack of plot or the overload of dialogues. And not everyone enjoyes the Looney Tunes type of humour.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I’m not commenting on other things, but this sentence doesn’t seem to make any sense:

“The digital re-release is a fairly stock-standard reboot of the ‘96 version.”

So which is it? Re-release or reboot? It can’t be both at the same time.
(And yes, I know which it is, but someone reading about the game for the first time is sure going to be confused.)

It gets even more confusing after the following sentence:

“It is not a re-mastered version of the game, but nor does it claim to be.”

Of course part of the problem is that the industry itself uses these terms very randomly, like Full Throttle Remastered, which is practically speaking a remake, except for audio, which actually is remastered.

The way that part of the review is written makes sense for someone who is familiar with the game and terminology already, but someone who knows nothing about them, is wondering what it actually means that this game is supposed to be a re-release reboot that is not a re-mastered version.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2018-08-26

PM

Hi Doom and Gatekeeper

I appreciate your thoughts about the recent review for Toonstruck that I wrote. I know that there have been a lot of different opinions about this game over the years and that my opinion isn’t everybodies

I personally asked Jackal if I could write the review, not because I didn’t agree with the previous review writer, but because I didn’t believe the game was given fair coverage. I believe that the previous review only scratched the surface of what could be said about Toonstruck and I was more than happy to look closely at the game and consider it in further depth. If another writer had wanted to consider Toonstruck again and write a lot more about it and then still give it the same score (or an even lower one) then I know Jackal would have still welcomed the review regardless.

I stand by my view though, that Toonstruck is one of the best point-and-clicks there is. We all have different interests and senses of humour and its not a game for everyone. In its time it didn’t fit into any of the traditional Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Detective point-and-click niches but I have a lot of respect for Toonstruck’s developers for trying to break the mould. I don’t think it lacks plot or is overly burdened with unfunny dialogue. Quite the opposite - I find the writing frequently hilarious and I think the plot develops naturally and isn’t dull. I’ve had a lot of fun and laughs from this game and certainly my opinion is a very positive one.

Regarding the Reboot/Re-Release/Re-Make/Re-Mastering issue, I realise that people often use the term “reboot” when talking about films and games that have been re-made similarly but entirely from scratch - which is obviously not what happened here with the Toonstruck re-release. I meant it in an altogether different sense; ie., rebooting your computer or a program. Basically I meant that the game had just been reloaded (rebooted) in its original form using SCUMM. In the future I will say that it’s been ‘ported’ - Thanks Gatekeeper for making me aware of this.

Again, thanks for your comments - I appreciate that we all have different experiences of things. It would be a boring world if we didn’t.

Reception: Certainly sir, what name shall I make the reservation for?
Gnome: How about you guess my name and if you get it wrong I eat for free?
Reception: Is it Ifnkovhgroghprm?
Ifnkovhgroghprm: Blasted internet walkthroughs!

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

On the topic of a community playthrough of Toonstruck; it’s already been covered.

Total Posts: 463

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

St_Eddie - 01 January 2019 11:37 AM

On the topic of a community playthrough of Toonstruck; it’s already been covered.

The most recent post about that in this thread was shortly before that very playthrough.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Dale - 01 January 2019 12:14 PM

The most recent post about that in this thread was shortly before that very playthrough.

Ah, right you are.  Sorry, I ought to have checked.  That being the case, I’d definitely take part in a community playthrough of Toonstruck, as I haven’t played it since its initial release in ‘96.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

St_Eddie - 03 January 2019 04:53 PM
Dale - 01 January 2019 12:14 PM

Ah, right you are.  Sorry, I ought to have checked.  That being the case, I’d definitely take part in a community playthrough of Toonstruck, as I haven’t played it since its initial release in ‘96.

Same here. Loved it back then, very fond memories!

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Sorry, Dale.  I misunderstood your last post!  I’ll playthrough Toonstruck and read along with that old community playthrough thread as I go, I guess.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top