• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

ASA - Remastered Edition

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

SpeedBo - 26 June 2017 08:34 PM
Simon_ASA - 26 June 2017 10:28 AM

Anyone ever wondered what it would look like to play ASA in full 3d?
You could be interested in this short technical demo made for #RemakeJam:
https://the-icehouse.itch.io/asa-rj

Let me know what you think, and if you’d be curious to discover more Black Cube games with that kind of engine and gameplay. Thanks!

Wow I’m impressed, you made that in 3 days!

Haha, that’s the exact same thing I told Simon in The Icehouse forums! He’s one talented fellow Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for your comments!

It is not very difficult to create a “walking room” like this with my current skills, I have been using 3dsmax for years now. It is mainly a matter of optimizing the 3d models well, and texturing more properly. I think I can do that. The main difficulty is to script the actions in the game. I can make hotspots with success (as you can see in the demo, the objects can be hilighted) but nothing happens when you click on them. That’s where the serious things begin in the game engine Smile I’ll keep learning.

My main questionning would be more to know if I should continue with prerendered scenes like before (there are many people who like the old-school point and click gameplay - even if it can be improved in my games), or if I should go once and for all to full 3d (and maybe disapoint the people who liked ASA in 2d?). I am not seeking for fame and money (the minimum, just what I need to live from), and I don’t really want to move to a full 3d engine just because everyone else is doing so. I personally prefer prerendered games, I have always liked these games a lot, but I understand that it can be frustrating nowadays to navigate from frame to frame in 1st person view, particularly when there is the possibility to do the same visuals in 3d.

I’d like to insist on the fact that I am not remaking ASA (nor Catyph) in full3d. It is not the purpose of learning Unity (even if it could eventually happen in the future depending on the circumstances, I don’t close the door). I started to learn Unity for the fun and on purpose for Remake Jam.
For the moment I much prefer to focus on making new games, and using full 3d could be a new approach for me. I’m just trying new things to stay up to date with the current standards of the game industry (indie market of course).

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

Simon_ASA - 27 June 2017 08:50 AM

Thanks for your comments!

It is not very difficult to create a “walking room” like this with my current skills, I have been using 3dsmax for years now. It is mainly a matter of optimizing the 3d models well, and texturing more properly. I think I can do that. The main difficulty is to script the actions in the game. I can make hotspots with success (as you can see in the demo, the objects can be hilighted) but nothing happens when you click on them. That’s where the serious things begin in the game engine Smile I’ll keep learning.

My main questionning would be more to know if I should continue with prerendered scenes like before (there are many people who like the old-school point and click gameplay - even if it can be improved in my games), or if I should go once and for all to full 3d (and maybe disapoint the people who liked ASA in 2d?). I am not seeking for fame and money (the minimum, just what I need to live from), and I don’t really want to move to a full 3d engine just because everyone else is doing so. I personally prefer prerendered games, I have always liked these games a lot, but I understand that it can be frustrating nowadays to navigate from frame to frame in 1st person view, particularly when there is the possibility to do the same visuals in 3d.

I’d like to insist on the fact that I am not remaking ASA (nor Catyph) in full3d. It is not the purpose of learning Unity (even if it could eventually happen in the future depending on the circumstances, I don’t close the door). I started to learn Unity for the fun and on purpose for Remake Jam.
For the moment I much prefer to focus on making new games, and using full 3d could be a new approach for me. I’m just trying new things to stay up to date with the current standards of the game industry (indie market of course).

My vote is for full 3d. It is not that I dislike prerendered graphics - I enjoy both 3D and node-based movement. But I feel that nodes work best in confined and regular spaces, with straight lines and corridors. Your games have complex environments, and you like to have weird architecture and geometries, which makes it difficult to navigate without getting confused. I really think full 3D would allow you to unleash your imagination without having to hold back because people are getting lost and/or confused.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

It won’t make you famous, but I too prefer the 2d pre-rendered. In realtime 3d I tend to wonder around looking at random nonsense, and it makes me wish the game was on a more set path.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Ah, 2 different opinions. And I agree with both, which makes it so hard for me to decide Smile
I think that what was said by BitingWit is the right thing to do, because it is true that the navigation in my games is easily getting confused. I will meditate on this, and of course that would be great to read more comments! Thanks everyone.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I actually agree with BitingWit too… One of the strengths of your games is the weird architecture and environments which look great and are a lot of fun to explore but is sometimes confusing in a 2d prerendered game. I know I’ve gotten lost and confused a few times.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Simon_ASA - 27 June 2017 10:03 AM

Ah, 2 different opinions. And I agree with both, which makes it so hard for me to decide Smile
I think that what was said by BitingWit is the right thing to do, because it is true that the navigation in my games is easily getting confused. I will meditate on this, and of course that would be great to read more comments! Thanks everyone.

I can’t play first person 3D games due to motion sickness (actually simulation sickness, which is worse).

Total Posts: 294

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

crabapple - 27 June 2017 07:19 PM
Simon_ASA - 27 June 2017 10:03 AM

I can’t play first person 3D games due to motion sickness (actually simulation sickness, which is worse).

I wonder if Simon could make it like Obduction, which had the option to play in either node mode (like Catyph and ASA) or realtime 3D?

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

I don’t know if the node mode can always avoid motion sickness? (what is the difference of simulation sickness?)
I know that in my case I was sick in Obduction even without the keyboard gameplay, and it happens to me in many 3d games (I don’t even talk of VR). I have been reluctant to use full3d engines until today because of this personal “health” problem, and for knowing other people who do also suffer of this unease I’d like to find a solution…

A few years ago during the development of ASA, I was discussing on a French forum of what I would do if I ever worked on a full3d game someday, and I was already convinced that adding a point and click mode (or node mode) would be one of my priorities. At that time Obduction didn’t exist, so now I’m even more convinced that it is a good idea (if it is done properly).
However I don’t know if by creating a p&c gameplay system I would be able to keep along the standard keyboard gameplay (= arrows or wasd) and give the choice to the player between these 2 modes - I mean with my current programming skills. I have to make more tests.

Anyway if I decided to work on such a game (3d) with Unity, then I would do my best to include a nodal mode, so be sure that I’ll study the question.
Is there this mode only in Obduction so far? What about Quern? I still couldn’t afford to purchase it…

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Simon_ASA - 28 June 2017 04:44 AM

Is there this mode only in Obduction so far? What about Quern? I still couldn’t afford to purchase it…

No, Quern doesn’t have it. Although the developer says they have plans to implement “mouse only mode”, whatever that means…

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for the info Oscar! What do you think, would you like it if there was this “mouse only mode” in Quern, or do you like already the keyboard gameplay?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Me? I wouldn’t use it. I tried point and click mode in Obduction and found it too slow and awkward to move about. For people with motion sickness it might be useful.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Simon_ASA - 28 June 2017 04:44 AM

I don’t know if the node mode can always avoid motion sickness? (what is the difference of simulation sickness?)

Motion sickness is caused by actual movement. I rarely get motion sickness anymore, though I had a terrible time with it as a kid. But now I have to already be sick from something else, and movement of the car makes it worse.

With simulation sickness there is no actual movement—you’re sitting still in your chair, and there is only the simulated movement on the monitor. Simulation sickness is worse (in my case) because I’ve never had motion sickness last more than 30 minutes after leaving the car, while simulation sickness can leave me sick in bed for the rest of the day after leaving the computer.

Node-based movement doesn’t help if there is 3D movement between nodes, and can even make things worse if the speed of movement is less controllable. Mouse-only makes no difference at all to me. I don’t mind using keyboard for movement. “Mouse-only” is more for people who want simple controls that are all in one place. Otherwise it’s close your eyes, click, wait, open your eyes, decide where to click next, close your eyes, etc. Not the best way to play a game.

I think simulation sickness is triggered by imperfect recreation of how it looks to move through an environment—- how objects move in relation to one another. Part of it may be because of field of view settings set either too high or too low, but there’s more to it than that.

Obduction had some ability to adjust field-of view, but it didn’t help—I could give things a sort of “fish-eye lens” look, but it didn’t reduce simulation sickness at all and only made things look weird. 

But I had very little trouble with the “3rd person” Uru, where the camera is pulled back and fairly far from the ground most of the time. However, I couldn’t use the 1st person view to move around in Uru at all, and only used it for lining up jumps. If you switch between 1st and 3rd person in Uru, you can see how much closer to the ground the 1st person view is.

The games that bother me the most are those where it appears you’re only about a foot off the ground, as in certain trailers for Xing where you seem to be at grass level.

So why is that? Is it because my stomach expects to be moving when the view is close to the ground but not when it’s high up? Or is it more that objects in 3D games move in a more realistic way with respect to each other when the viewpoint is from higher up?

I would love not to have this problem, but it’s dogged me almost since I started playing games. At first it wasn’t so much a problem with adventure games because they were mostly 2D or 2.5D. But now that so many are moving to 3D, it limits what I can play.

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Thanks for your replies!

@Oscar
Then it confirms to me that including only the point and click gameplay would be a mistake in a full3d game. I will make tests to see how I can include the 2 different gameplays.
Anyway I first want to finish my current projects in 2d. I think that in Boïnihi I will have a gameplay like in ASA and Catyph, but I really really want to improve it, and it is difficult to find what would work the best, I’ve been stuck by this for months. For me some of the best examples are Rhem, Riven and JULIA (more specifically JULIA because there is a very limited amount of scenes, and so it makes it much easier to know where we stand)

@crabapple
Oh yes I see, and according to your description I must suffer not of motion sickness but simulation sickness like you. There are games where I’m terribly sick even after leaving the pc, such as Obduction, Haven Moon, The Witness. And strangely there are games where the camera and action move a lot like Mass Effect series, and I’m not sick in these games (can happen, but it takes more time). I think that indeed there is something in relation with the position of the camera to the ground.
I read a theory once, saying that in real life when we look around we always see our nose (a very small part of it, very blurry), even if we are not careful to it anymore, and it always gives us a static position, a kind of landmark. On the screen on the contrary, we see that our nose (and so our head) is static in the real world, while the camera is moving a lot around. So the body reacts to this, is lost, and it’s difficult to adapt, which could eventually cause the sickness.

It’s a bit complicated for me to explain in English and I have no proof that it’s true or not (I don’t remember where I read that)... Anyway there’s probably nothing we could do to prevent the sickness, instead simulating a fake nose in the bottom middle of the screen in 1st person games lol.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Could the same effect be achieved with something subtle in the bottom centre of the screen?  Like a discrete black triangle at the edge of the screen.

Should be easy to test (hell, you could even do a hardware hack and literally paste it to your monitor Wink )

Would it then be possible to release something simple as freeware to help the likes of yourself and crab?

Both I and my brother have had this on rare occasions where the size of the screen relative to our proximity to it was overwhelming.  Not sure if that helps narrow down the cause.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top