• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Myst TV series and new game

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-10-07-myst-to-be-reborn-as-a-tv-series-and-game-tie-in

Classic point-and-click adventure Myst is set to return as a TV series and an accompanying tie-in game.

Myst creators Rand and Robyn Miller have signed a deal with Legendary Entertainment, the production company behind Inception and Godzilla, to develop the show.

It’s unknown whether the series will launch on traditional TV or via a digital plaftorm, Variety reported, such as via Netflix or Amazon Prime.

What is known is that the show will be accompanied by various “transmedia” efforts to extend the brand - such as a new game and a separate tablet offering, all of which will tie into the ongoing series’ plot.

Is this new? Not many details

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I just read it on FB, with a link to here. Great news!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

If my memory serves me right I recall some talk about Myst movie or series from way, way back. I think I first heard of it a couple of years after Myst was originally released.

But yes, a limited TV-series would propably be the way to go. It certainly has a good change of turning into a good series, if they find a good way to do the narrative.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Yes that’s right, there was a thread about a Myst movie. Due to the fact that the old forums don’t work well anymore I can’t find it unfortunately. We all were very sceptic at the time but it seems these guys pulled it off. But still, I find the promise of a TV series much more interesting. That even reached the Dutch news site nu.nl!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

tsa - 07 October 2014 04:05 PM

Yes that’s right, there was a thread about a Myst movie. Due to the fact that the old forums don’t work well anymore I can’t find it unfortunately. We all were very sceptic at the time but it seems these guys pulled it off. But still, I find the promise of a TV series much more interesting. That even reached the Dutch news site nu.nl!

This thread

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22110

I still prefer the Twin Peaks announcement better.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I love how it suggests an ongoing series plot, like Myst is known for having a story. *shifty*

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Indeed, that one! Thanks Lucien.
I never saw Twin Peaks so I keep cheering about the Myst TV series Smile

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m more excited about the new game (it’s not the same as the one that was kickstarted, right?). The show will probably just exploit the concept of traveling between ages, with a lot of drama thrown in. And will certainly contain no puzzles.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I wish it the best. Was never really big on Myst - probably just too short of an attention span to appreciate it at the time. Perhaps this will get more people, including myself, interested in replaying the series.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Legendary being the company behind is a very good sign for the series if it ever gets made. Most of their movie properties are great and treated with respect.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

wilco - 08 October 2014 10:10 AM

Legendary being the company behind is a very good sign for the series if it ever gets made. Most of their movie properties are great and treated with respect.

Definitely a good sign for the Millers. Looking forward to Obduction coming out first.  I crack-up that all these years later some haters stll cringe upon mention of the word MYST lol

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

thejobloshow - 08 October 2014 07:57 AM

I wish it the best. Was never really big on Myst - probably just too short of an attention span to appreciate it at the time. Perhaps this will get more people, including myself, interested in replaying the series.

I didn’t like the original Myst that much either. But After I played the later realtime 3D conversion, Real Myst, I did get into it. I then tried the original again I figured that me not liking it before was much because of how clunky the navigation in it felt.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This is fantastic news! I’ve read all the Myst novels, but clearly it’s time for a re-read. And maybe a trip back into Uru to read all the history of the kings and other troublemakers.

Will I finally get my wish and see some of the prophecies in “Words” by the Watcher fulfilled? I was there for the cave-in sequence in Uru in real time. Curious to see if the consequences from that become part of the TV series.

Yes!  Tongue

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I used to love Myst. Even read at least one of the novels. But I find myself more excited for Obduction than for this. Myst’s mythology had gotten bloated and hopelessly dense by the end of the series, and a fresh start just seems like the better way to go.

Still, we’ll see what they have in mind. From some of what I read it sounds like the new game might be something more casual, like a companion game to the show designed mostly for tablets.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Looks like something is happening in Myst. TV series has been picked up by Hulu (rumour?) but only for the pilot script so far
http://www.vg247.com/2015/05/06/myst-tv-series-now-with-hulu-rumour/

Evan Daugherty will write the script (imdb says he is the writer of TMNT? Divergent? meh)

Total Posts: 64

Joined 2015-04-29

PM

I was a pretty big fan of the Myst games when they came out (frustrating as they could’ve been). My wife *adored* Myst, and she’s absolutely thrilled that the game could spawn a TV series. Me? I just want Monkey Island: The Series.

Knee Deep swamp noir adventure: http://kneedeepgame.com

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top