• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The best ‘lookin’ adventure…?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

This might be considered a pick up thread where Diego’s A laid-back chat on a least important adventure game element - the graphics has ended,
but I couldn’t be sure it fits, please merge if it has the same idea/topic!

help me to decide and above all to be relived that such exist, but I haven’t been active enough in many years that shortly passed, and many updated ags I never had the chance to try!

Apart from the puzzles and the story , what the most updated looking adventure since the new millennium! (at least I think it should be by then)

The animation, characters movements, facial expressions, cutscene, graphics, color pallet , and voice acting ..etc, (mostly all the money talk elements!)

The 1st 2 decades of the genre there were obvious upgrade through each year, its common at any the genre, but since a while this rate had been pushed back?? you can find games from the early 2000 better looking games that came now-a-year or so ,its like I expect every year to be with less polished ag than the years before, I tried to look over the last 6-7 years to find some kind of a role example, but there is nothing much there! (and I haven’t played a lot of the very new ones), I just wanted to find the best ones that should/could be reference or role model for how adventure games with the ‘should-a-be’ rate of more than three decades look alike. On the other hand for action games, like Mass Effect or Assassin Creed; their roof of upgrades seem endless , but this is not my concern, my concern is to see which had made it to be such a role model.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Monkey Island 1&2. I don’t know why, there’s just something about that graphics which makes it beautiful. The dark blue sky, silver moon. I just like it. I also like Leisure Suit Larry: Love for sail.
It all highly subjective. For me a lot of older games look better than most of the modern ones.

But yeah, I would love to see some bad ass graphic in some adventure games, I’m talking about really hardcore, top of the notch thing.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Monkey Island 2 for me, it is a game with an impeccable art direction, both graphics and music included.
Still waiting to see a game that will top it.

Total Posts: 1666

Joined 2014-02-08

PM

Advie, did you expect anything else, than endless praising of Monkey Island 1-2 again? Confused

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

When something is beautiful and of the highest quality, there’s nothing to be ashamed of and to be quiet about that.

And as the famous lyrics say:

Nobody can touch us,
we’re stronger than fate!
Those who don’t like us,
can only haaaate uuuuuuus!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Surely, if it’s all about graphics and animations, then games like LA Noire and Heavy Rain deserve their rightful praise.

I know it’s sensitive as both games are not really seen as (classical) adventure games by many, but that is not the point here.

Looking at the more classical style adventure games, I thought that Syberia had an excellent art direction and animation quality, so that is probably the one that fits the best with “best looking” adventure….(though that statement could be looked at from so many different angles)

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Recent best looking ags,Monument Valley,Kentucky Road Zero,Brothers A Tale of Two Sons,Silent Age,The Dark Eye Chains of Satinav..

Classic best lookings,Curse of Monkey Island,Grim Fandango,Riven,Broken Sword:The Shadow of the Templars,The Last Express

and modern classics are,The Book of Unwritten Tales,Syberia,Samorost 2.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Most updated graphics and best looking AG in this millennium: Dreamfall Chapters at least from what I have seen so far.

Contenders: Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav/Memoria, Syberia (even if it is a few years old by now)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Almost everything from Daedelic (The Whispered World easily stands as the best good looking of them all, although the pseudo 3D graphics in TWW2 could come even higher) and everything from Bill Tiller, where MI3 and A Vampyre Story are probably the most stylish.

For first person, Riven would have been one of my first choices (while Myst 3 and 4 are also good in terms of graphics, I feel their style is somewhat lacking compared to Riven).

Also, in general the earlier works of Microids, most notably Amerzone, the first Dracula and Syberia were really impressive on their time. They still are somehow.

Grim Fandango also has a really distinctive style, especially the backgrounds were taken good care.

EDIT: Dear god, how did I forgot Machinarium and Dear Esther?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It’s kind of hard to compare, because the merits are not usually technical. Some standouts in my head:

The Neverhood
Machinarium
Curse of Monkey Island
A Vampyre Story
Riven

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dear Esther, Riven, The Last Express, Dreamfall, and in two hours I’ll probably add the Vanishing of Ethan Carter to the list.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

THE DIG

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I’m sure it has to do with everyone’s tastes. I always loved the look of Simon the Sorcerer 1. Seeing the birds flying, the snakes, butterflies, etc., it just really seemed pretty to me.  Whenever I play the Broken Sword games, I am so amazed by the vibrant colors.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

BS1 = Dave gibbons art.
GF = Pre-rendered backgrounds still hold up.
Bladerunner = Same reason as GF though character models are messy.

Recently,

KZ0 and Machinarium.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Bill Tiller = Best. Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

theo - 25 September 2014 11:03 AM

THE DIG

I was going to say that.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top