• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The most beautiful 2D third person adventure game?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 22 August 2014 04:44 AM

These threads are always tainted by our nostalgia for a game. For example, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island is never mentioned despite having the same artist as Curse of Monkey Island. So it comes as no surprise that Ghost Pirates isn’t a very good game.

I can speak for myself, and you’re not right - Can I think of a better 2D art than Monkey Island and The Whispered World? No! Give me a sucky, new, nostalgia-ridden 2D game with BEAUTIFUL art and I’ll say it’s better than those game. But I can’t think of one. That means I’m CERTAIN Curse of MI art is better than in Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (it’s somehow, while nice without a quesiton, “blurry”, the same problem I had with A Vampyre Story), regardless which game is better.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 22 August 2014 04:49 AM

These threads are always tainted by our nostalgia for a game. For example, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island is never mentioned despite having the same artist as Curse of Monkey Island. So it comes as no surprise that Ghost Pirates isn’t a very good game.

I can speak for myself, and you’re not right - Can I think of a better 2D art than Monkey Island and The Whispered World? No! Give me a sucky, new, nostalgia-ridden 2D game with BEAUTIFUL art and I’ll say it’s better than those game. But I can’t think of one. That means I’m CERTAIN Curse of MI art is better than in Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island (it’s somehow, while nice without a quesiton, “blurry”, the same problem I had with A Vampyre Story), regardless which game is better.

No it doesn’t. It means you probably enjoyed playing Curse of Monkey Island more than you did Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. They both look the same - except Ghost Pirates is higher resolution and colours. Ask Bill Tiller.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I’m not a fan of CoMI, but I still think the backgrounds and its overall colour palette is much more “pleasing to the eye” than those of Ghost Pirates.

I’m no expert on that subject at all, but it seems that a colour palette has a more weight in the final looks of the game than we are giving it a credit for, as Zifnab noticed well in the case of the Serrated Scalpel.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Ghost Pirates is looking way inferior to CMI. “Looking the same” doesn’t mean “has the same artistic style”. Nostalgia has nothing to do here. It would matter if we were talking about GK1 for example which I consider far better looking than many modern games. I’d agree that this is nostalgia talking. But let’s take the already mentioned The Whispered World. I don’t have nostalgic feelings about it. I don’t even like the game. But that doesn’t stop me from saying that it’s one of the most gorgeous games I’ve ever seen. Simple as that.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

To me, one of the most beautiful games are the Dark Eye games (Chains of Satinav, Memoria), but I could also vote for Blackwell Epiphany.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

TGhost Pirates of Vooju Island is never mentioned

In this thread at least, it’s simply excluded, just like Chains of Satinav, because it uses 3D characters.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

Those were 3D characters? I didn’t even notice…

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

The closeups were mostly 2D I think, and maybe some of the more stationary NPCs. But the actual gamecharacters were 3D.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Lambonius - 22 August 2014 01:48 AM

Is that an unused screen?

Yep. Found it here: http://www.akril15.com/sr/MiscRes.html

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Curse of Monkey Island, and, if not for the 3D characers, Ghost Pirates and A Vampyre Story are the most beautiful looking adventure games there is. The “blur” (atmospheric effect) Diego mentions from AVS and GPoVI may have been a little exaggerated, atleast in the in-door scenes, but looks fantastic for the outdoor scenes. Just about anything by Daedalic (except Edna&Harvey;) looks amazing, particularly The Whispered World which is probably the most beautiful AG out there that’s not painted by Bill Tiller. Kings Quest 5 and Leisure Suit Larry 7 are my visual favourites from the Sierra catalogue. The backgrounds from Pendulo Studios and Alchachofa Soft are very pretty impressive too.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top