• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

King’s Quest announced (Re-imagined by The Odd Gentlemen) 

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Blackthorne - 13 August 2014 08:47 AM

I guess, from what I’ve read, is that Sierra DID have an alternate solution to the Yeti/Pie thing - you had to distract him with an insult battle.  Evidently they cut it, and someone at LA found it…. the rest is dairy farming history.

Do you remember where you read this?

It would be a neat factoid if it’s true, and there are people who worked on each of these games that I could ask about it, but would be good to have some back-up. (And good to know if you’re actually joking so I don’t make a fool out of myself. Tongue)

That yeti thing is just one example about the mind-reading thing. The original solution to guessing the gnome’s name in KQ1 is another, to the point that they went on to add an alternate solution since they got so many complaints about it. (I can look up a source for this if anyone really cares… I think it was stated in one of the KQ Companion books.) Certain puzzles were designed with the intent of selling hint books… Sierra designers have backed this up so it’s not really up for debate. Maybe some players still feel that a KQ game is not a KQ game without them, and they’re entitled to their opinion of course. But I do disagree that they belong in a modern KQ game (or any modern adventure game).

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Hehe, I was joking around, fov, heh. 

Bt

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Well then, glad I asked for clarification. Wink

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

fov - 13 August 2014 08:38 PM

Well then, glad I asked for clarification. Wink

Haha, yeah - I was just being silly about that.

But I really do, as a game designer, enjoy creating alternate ways to solve puzzles in the game - for one, it makes replay value increase, and two it just makes sense.  Sometimes trying to figure out what the designer was thinking sucks - so, sometimes the designer has to try to think like someone else, I suppose!  You can’t cover everything, but in the process of creation, it’s a fun challenge to tackle.

Bt

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

roxas11 - 12 August 2014 06:50 PM

“A Sierra game fit for both the old and new generation of King’s Quest players”

Now how are they going to pull that off lol

The answer is obvious: free to play. You can try figuring out the yeti pie, or pay 30 gems and have the game solve it for you. Pay $0.99 for an extra save slot, or backtrack whenever you reach a dead end. Dwarf stole one of your treasures? Hunt it down yourself or buy the super golden treasure to replace it!

The possibilities are endless.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Sierra’s back?? Whoa!

Please bring back Dynamix now

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Since we were talking about the previous Kings Quest games, I have some questions.

I’m planning on playing some of the games during vacations (old adventures are great to play during Summer), what are the best versions of the first 3 games? Original, AGDI remakes, any other remakes? Do the remakes add or take o lot from the originals?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 14 August 2014 05:19 AM

Since we were talking about the previous Kings Quest games, I have some questions.

I’m planning on playing some of the games during vacations (old adventures are great to play during Summer), what are the best versions of the first 3 games? Original, AGDI remakes, any other remakes? Do the remakes add or take o lot from the originals?

I think the first thing you need to consider is the controls wether you are keen on experiencing it as it craved in your memory ,text-phaser and direct controls or you would love to add another experience to your catalogue .
the remakes are very loyal to the originals considering deaths, dead ends .. etc, but for AGDI KQ1 , there was an updated release that gives you the choice for the dead ends issue, you can choose to avoid at the start of the game.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The AGDI King’s Quest 2 is VERY different from the original game. It does share the same basic plot, but at the same time it fleshes out the story quite a bit. So that one I’d recommend to play the original AGI version first, then the remake.

Out of KQ1 it’s all the same which version you choose, as the AGDI remake is pretty much 1:1 remake of the SCI remake Sierra did. the big difference is the optional no-deadends mode in AGDI Advie manetioned.

KQ3 remake that Infamous did is pretty similar to the original AGI game. There’s the other KQ3 remake as well. I’ve played them both, and the other has some alternative stuff, I don’t remember which. They weren’t huge differences, but in the vein of Space Quest 2 remake.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sierra rule #243: SCI is always prettier.

Just make sure you don’t play the SEGA version.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

For those who have played games by The Odd Gentlemen, how do their storytelling abilities stack up? Also, would you be offended if the game was a puzzle platformer? The big feature of the original King’s Quest was that it had a sense of depth allowing Graham to walk behind objects.

I’m really anxious to hear something concrete. If we’re going to be burned, I’d want to know quickly.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

thejobloshow - 14 August 2014 08:44 AM

For those who have played games by The Odd Gentlemen, how do their storytelling abilities stack up? Also, would you be offended if the game was a puzzle platformer?

I don’t think it will have too much action. Funnily enough, while Ken & Roberta said adventures were dead and needed more action, the action in Mask of Eternity killed King’s Quest. A new King’s Quest game won’t make the same mistake.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Oscar - 14 August 2014 09:03 AM

I don’t think it will have too much action. Funnily enough, while Ken & Roberta said adventures were dead and needed more action, the action in Mask of Eternity killed King’s Quest. A new King’s Quest game won’t make the same mistake.

I wouldn’t say it was the action that killed Mask of Eternity. It just wasn’t, at least IMO, a very well done action game either. In the end, what I’ve played it, it was pretty boring game in comparision to the first Tomb Raider for example. The faults of the game are rather in the design and execution than what genre it was or tried to be.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks Advie, tomint and Zibnab. I’m going to try and go old school at first but I’ll also take the AGDI remakes, good to now they are faithful to the originals, probably jump around between them.
Disclaimer: I suck at text parsers and the only ones I completed were Space Quest (because it’s Space Quest!) and I still used guides a lot. Still I don’t play them in ages so I’m curious to see if I’m better now…

thejobloshow - 14 August 2014 08:44 AM

For those who have played games by The Odd Gentlemen, how do their storytelling abilities stack up? Also, would you be offended if the game was a puzzle platformer? The big feature of the original King’s Quest was that it had a sense of depth allowing Graham to walk behind objects.

Played PB Winterbottom, the story is ok and charming, but the best part of the game are the smart puzzles that get really hard and the fun presentantion inspired in old silent movies, but I don’t think they’ll go puzzle platformer for Kings Quest. From the blog and twitter they seem to have a lot a love for the franchise.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Maybe they’ll include a “modern gamer mode” where you just hit a big red Youtube play button at the beginning and watch the game play itself.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top