• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sierra’s and Lucas old CopyRights protection methods :)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i still get amazed everytime i remembered their ways of including Copy Rights protection Codes/Sheet inside their Game’s Manuals , sometimes its straight forward just to insert a number or code at the start of the games and sometimes you a get that question/request in the middle of the game and some others strangeness methods was in the middle of the game you asked to enter a word from a specified page of the manual and sometimes the manual of the game comes with special Glasses ...etc .

that is The page of the copyright codes for collected photos of some chicks phone numbers which were scattered all around in the manual.

I am not sure i doing a correct something posting this photo, but i know all Official Sierra games Installer which are available for free, avoid you this trouble of using those Codes

P.S: i Erased the numbers just in case

Image Attachments

Copy_protection_phone_numbers.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I always liked games that somehow got the manual involved, even if it was for simple copy protection purposes. I liked the potion recipes in QFG4. Once the internet got really popular this method vanished.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I for one don’t remember these copy protection methods all that fondly. As a dumb kid not knowing English all that well I was extremely confused trying to get Monkey Island to work, being blocked by that damn wheel. Had to get my big brother to help me every time I wanted to play the game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It amazes me it took them so long to figure out they could just to use serial numbers instead of elaborate copyright protection methods.

I mean, Leisure Suit Larry 5 has more complicated copyright protection than Windows 95! It was crazy. Made for some interesting extras with the game though.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Daedalic does the retro copy protection. Not only that, but their boxed releases is filled with goodies just like in the old days:

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It wasn’t an AG as such, but the copy protection for Alone in the Dark 1 was good. They gave you a little book and you had to navigate to a certain word on a certain line on a certain page.

Smile

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’ve never been too keen on games which require me to use something other than the game itself to play them, whether it be looking in a manual for things, or having a grab a piece of paper to jot down passwords or work through puzzles. I prefer the game to just be one self-contained unit.

That said, some games have employed some quite clever copy protection techniques, so you have to give them credit for that. It can be pretty frustrating though if you think you’re just stuck on a puzzle, and don’t realise that the reason you can’t progress is because the solution is contained in a manual.

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

Jatsie - 03 July 2012 08:03 AM

I’ve never been too keen on games which require me to use something other than the game itself to play them, whether it be looking in a manual for things, or having a grab a piece of paper to jot down passwords or work through puzzles. I prefer the game to just be one self-contained unit.

For my part, I feel like some of the BEST adventure games are ones that require me to take notes and jot stuff down to solve things. If I can do it all in my head or by trial and error it can still be enjoyable, but the difficulty level is sort of minimal.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

Not copy protection exactly, but didn’t one of the Leisure Suit Larry games ask you all sorts of random questions to check if you were an adult? I remember that being a right pain as they were all very American questions. Oh and I was a kid.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

marcd2011 - 03 July 2012 01:43 PM

Not copy protection exactly, but didn’t one of the Leisure Suit Larry games ask you all sorts of random questions to check if you were an adult? I remember that being a right pain as they were all very American questions. Oh and I was a kid.

yeah That is Larry 1 the Original release, and the copyrights issues wasn’t recognized/determined yet.

and yes that was not some kind of those copy protection Questions, it was just to determine the Age (as you said) as i guess Larry 1 was considered having some explicit scenes.

i remember my father playing/checking the game with me back then, to see if it was proper for my age Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t mind if I need a serial number to install a game, and back in the day I didn’t mind if I had to look something up in the manual to be able to start a game.

What I DO mind is when the game is not clear that it requires you to check the manual, and I really hate it if they totally break immersion by presenting you with a “enter this number from the manual” halfway into the game.

Also, if a game requires you to read the manual to be able to understand its controls, then the designers did something horribly wrong. But that’s got little to do with copyright protection…

Also: about the first Larry game, probably the oldest trick in the book is pressing Alt+X to bypass the age-questions… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 03 July 2012 02:37 PM

Also: about the first Larry game, probably the oldest trick in the book is pressing Alt+X to bypass the age-questions… Wink

Impressing Smile

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan - 03 July 2012 02:37 PM

WHY DIDN’T I KNOW THIS WHEN I WAS A KID

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

I too wish I’d known that! I wasn’t a kid, but I didn’t know the answer to some of those very American questions.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

We’d spend half an hour just trying to get into LSL1! We were young and had no clue.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

TimovieMan I think it’s clear to say that you’ve single handedly ruined a number of our childhoods

Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top