• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifuSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Is ‘Always Sometimes Monsters’ an adventure game?

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

I’ve been playing this since yesterday and was asking myself: “Is this an adventure game with RPG elements, or just a RPG?”
It doesn’t have puzzles like “To the Moon” - at least not in my campaign - just mini-games and a Visual Novel gameplay with lots of choices.

Also, if anyone is already playing this, what are your thoughts about the story till now?

Favorite Games: Blackwell Series, Gemini Rue, To the Moon, Yesterday.
Playing now: Gods Will Be Watching.
Next to play: Analogue: A Hate Story.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Well, you’ve successfully increased my curiosity on this game, might have to try it at some point. But if it doesnt have as much puzzles as to the moon, then i’d assume it doesnt really qualify as an adventure.. to the moon just barely qualifies as is, imo.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’d say it’s an adventure game, but not of the puzzle based variety. If you look though the games created by RPG maker, there are quite a few good ones.

A similar game maker made this fun free game called The Crooked Man: http://www.vgperson.com/games/crookedman.htm

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I find this constantly questioning what is and what isn’t an adventure game to be so tedious and reductive. Does it matter? Why is there such an insular attitude amongst so many adventure game players?

The reason adventure games became a neglected niche is because of this attitude, which does not permit change or innovation of any kind, which led to the absolute obsoletion of the genre in it’s orthodox form. It’s the games that so many would quibble are not adventures that have been revitalizing it in recent years. The format of ‘adventure game’ has become a straight-jacket that no really talented designer / developer will want to labour under. Look at the reticence of any ambitious developer to promote their game as an ‘adventure’ game’, because to most people that title has become synonomous with outmoded gameplay and presentation. They will say it is a ‘story’ game or an ‘exploration’ game, or some other such thing. I can’t blame them in the slightest.

In theory, ‘adventure games’ should be one of the broadest genres, whereas it’s target audience has forced it to be one of the narrowest.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

cbman - 26 May 2014 03:33 PM

In theory, ‘adventure games’ should be one of the broadest genres, whereas it’s target audience has forced it to be one of the narrowest.

Anyone can say that, but then *everyone* draws their own line that cant be crossed in order to try and preserve meaning in the word adventure. For example iv seen people who say “yes, its adventure its all adventure if it has any relation to the elements at all” and then they take a game like the stanley parable and say “no… this isnt adventure.. all you do is walk down paths..”

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

I see your point cbman. The experience is more important than the format. BUT it’s still an intriguing and important question. As you said, the adventure genre is very diverse these days (even if called by other names), the point is that this question helps broaden the perception of what is an adventure. Most people has Lucas Arts and Sierra as a standard for what is an adventure game, however definitions change with time. Some stuff are added, others cut. The genre evolves.

Joined 2012-12-05

PM

Tad - 26 May 2014 01:35 PM

I’d say it’s an adventure game, but not of the puzzle based variety. If you look though the games created by RPG maker, there are quite a few good ones.

A similar game maker made this fun free game called The Crooked Man: http://www.vgperson.com/games/crookedman.htm

Ah, this atmosphere Smile
I will try this one later, looks very promising. 

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

cbman - 26 May 2014 03:33 PM

I find this constantly questioning what is and what isn’t an adventure game to be so tedious and reductive. Does it matter? Why is there such an insular attitude amongst so many adventure game players?

The reason adventure games became a neglected niche is because of this attitude, which does not permit change or innovation of any kind, which led to the absolute obsoletion of the genre in it’s orthodox form. It’s the games that so many would quibble are not adventures that have been revitalizing it in recent years. The format of ‘adventure game’ has become a straight-jacket that no really talented designer / developer will want to labour under. Look at the reticence of any ambitious developer to promote their game as an ‘adventure’ game’, because to most people that title has become synonomous with outmoded gameplay and presentation. They will say it is a ‘story’ game or an ‘exploration’ game, or some other such thing. I can’t blame them in the slightest.

I agree with this. You only have to look at the attitude some people have of Telltale since making the walking dead. The adventure genre can and has evolved into other genres and it should stay that way. That’s not to say we shouldn’t have the traditional adventutes games either though.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve played for a bit, so far it’s a depressing life simulator with questionable music… Neutral
But you make a great number of choices, I’ll have to see it goes.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Saying that adventure games became obsolete because of intransigent fans is absurd.

Their obsolescence was then, and has only ever been, about costs and financial returns, and an exponentially growing video game industry that requires exponentially growing profits in order to justify the creation of new properties and titles.  We have seen the exact same fate befall Survival Horror games in recent years.  If triple A titles can’t generate astronomical sales and revenues, they simply won’t get made, despite the audience for those games still being there.  It’s not enough for companies in this industry to make SOME money, they need ALL THE MONEY, or the project isn’t worth it.  The audience for adventure games didn’t shrink, it simply couldn’t compare to the much larger (and growing, unfortunately) audiences for brainless, focus-tested garbage, and thus publishers wouldn’t cater to it.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Just finished the game, and, IMO, it has a few problems, but it’s quite good, and the uniqueness alone makes it worth playing, if you’re interested in choice-based story games. It’s definitely worth the $9 and 11 hours I spend on it.

I like that the developers took a different approach to most story driven games, and while the game is quite focused on story and choice, and has simple gameplay, it’s also quite interactive (and without resorting to QTE). IMO, it’s sort of a mix of RPG, adventure and life simulation. You interact with hotspots, have interactive conversations, make choices (not just in conversations), buy and sell stuff, and do maybe a dozen minigames. About half of them are puzzle-like by my definition, but quite easy and simple, which is mostly positive in this context.

The game suffers a little from the same problems most story driven games with choices do - the morality is occasionally a bit unrealistic, and once in a while the characters also respond a bit unrealistically to the choices you make. Furthermore, the story is a little too familiar in places. But I like that the story blends an everyday approach with some semi-epic situations. It’s almost an “enhanced everyday story”. I’ll rate my playthrough 3.5/5 - it’s probably not possible to rate games like this fairly without at least a couple of playthroughs, since the experience somewhat depends of the choices you make Smile

EDIT: Added a bit.
EDIT 2: A bit more - I guess it’s one of those days Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

“Beyond Zork” had some RPG elements and is still considered an adventure game.

I have to try this game now, it sounds really interesting and different.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top